[OSSR]GURPS Illuminati

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Well, the first edition came out in '92, a year before X-Files came on the air. But it still talks about the Soviet Union (which didn't fall apart until end of '91, not that that ever bothered anyone). It doesn't discuss Iran-Contra either, but that might have been a deliberate effort not to be too topical. But as a cut-off point goes, I'd say that's a good marker.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

I feel like this discussion is incomplete without the following comic, which was written in response to (if I remember correctly) the Republican-induced government shutdown.

Edit: Also, this OSSR really reminds me of when I sat and read through a friend's copy of Dark Matter which does something similar by providing a bunch of different conspiracy lego bricks and options on how to combine them to fit the setting and tone for your tabletop group.

For every group it'd present 3 or 4 different alternatives for what they are (e.g. the MiB are foot soldiers who cover up for the Illuminati OR they're poorly disguised aliens gathering intel OR they're a kind of collective unconscious manifestation that tries and gets rid of what society isn't willing to accept).
Last edited by Shatner on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

A copy of this book was on the shelf at one of my local Half Price Books. Thanks to this this thread, I promptly snatched it up.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

...and the Conspiracy spreads...