Defense of the Assholes 2

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

...You Lost Me wrote:Nacht and Andrei, I added you both.
for the next two weeks, I will probably be drunk. so don't invite me to games in that time.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

So, after reading the advice that you guys have written me, I've managed to have a positive kill death ratio each game. And, learning these things about PA has made me better at everyone. I don't carry games with PA very well, but I can usually assassinate someone in a team fight, and about half the time get another after that.

So, my competence list is now Legion Commander, Phantom Assassin, Queen of Pain, Death Prophet, Luna, and Lina.

Oh, and with helm of the dominator, I either place the creatures as wards, or I just have them in a group with PA or Luna, so I have a legion of jungle creeps following me around.

Also, I've seen a lot of people build damage items on legion commander. Why would someone do that? When I first read the hero, I immediately decided to use the ult for damage, and just build tank. And, it works amazingly well sometimes. I've had games where I took the full burst of the enemy team and then proceeded to kill them all.

My build usually goes sage's ring, phase boots, skullbasher, assault cuirass, heart of tarasque, and then the game is over. But if it were to continue, I would probably buy a bloodstone.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

(My build usually goes sage's ring, phase boots, skullbasher, assault cuirass, heart of tarasque, and then the game is over. But if it were to continue, I would probably buy a bloodstone.)
This is for LC, right?

First of all, yes, building tanky does work well on LC. However, there's a few suggestions:

1. Get a Blink Dagger (after phase, usually). This lets you get right next to someone instantly. You can buff your attack speed and blink on someone and get your ult off reliably and easily. This is *particularly* good for catching out people who have no chance in a 'fair' duel like supports, who will otherwise try to kite you and prevent you from getting close enough to duel. You can jump on people from the fog where they can't see you and instantly duel to prevent them from running.

2. Consider Blademail. Blademail is an item made of Broadsword, Chainmail, and Robes of the Magi. It gives good stats (+damage, +armor, +int) and an active that gives you a short duration of damage reflection. This normally makes people stop attacking you for a few seconds (they see the giant spikes come out of you and know that hitting you will hurt them). However, if you Duel them, they don't get a choice - they get to take extra damage for every time they hit you.

3. Bloodstone is a crazy amout of mana regen but not much else for the price - it's really expensive for what it is, and should probably only be ever bought on Timbersaw, Leshrac, Tinker, or Storm Spirit. Instead of this item, if you really need the mana and regen, consider Scythe of Vyse (3.5s long range instant hard disable!), Orchid (5s long range instant silence!), Necronomicon (summons dudes that hit pretty hard, upgradable by buying recipie, and after two upgrades + the original book one of the summons comes with truesight (basically free gem while he's up), or Eye of Skadi (massive stat bonuses, your attack slows people). However, as LC you really shouldn't be having mana problems in the endgame - you have decent int growth, and your spells aren't all that spammable.

4. If having a rough early game, Armlet of Mordiggan is super awesome for the price. It doesn't scale as well as other options into the endgame (becomes somewhat marginal compared to real top-tier items) but for the price it is amazing.
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Post by Nachtigallerator »

Depending on the matchup, you may still want some damage items. This may be a good point to open a general analysis of items, because I'm busy purging my PC of malware and hence can't really play right now.

I noticed Maelstrom was a popular choice for LC players in my games, and I'm fairly certain the reasoning is accelerated farm with lightning proccs (which I disagree with - LC should farm heroes first and creeps second) and improved 1vs1 capabilities due to the Lightning Shield spell automatically proccing if you duel someone. Reasoning from my nonexistent armchair, it does appear to be a suboptimal choice in general - Blademail can be aquired much sooner and scales better with enemies. Faceless Void loves his Maelstrom, though - due to Chronosphere, his item choices are heavily biased towards attack speed, damage, and AoE rightclicks, which are all provided by maelstrom. An interesting aside is that Maelstrom deals a lot of magic damage with it's procs - it should be able to counter armor to some degree and be countered with magic immunity or a pipe.

Other items can be smart, of course. If you're dealing with an enemy who has evasion or any effect that causes your attacks to miss (EXCEPT FACELESS VOID) you want that Monkey King Bar, even if it doesn't make you tanky at all. The truestrike can be essential for outcarrying heroes like PA or anyone with a Butterfly.
Desolator makes all the bonus damage you accumulated go much farther against heroes who stack armor, and can melt those with little armor like wet tissue paper (negative armor values mean increasing amounts of bonus physical damage).

The importance of a BKB on most carries can not be stressed enough - as Legion Commander, you will definitely want it as soon as your enemies know what they're doing. LCs modus operandi is high risk and high reward - if you get killed, you give away bonus damage (which makes GGS's advice of targetting supports even wiser) and standard operation procedure for dealing with enemy duel is to stun or hex Legion commander and unload all available burst damage on her.

Carries who may in some situations skip BKB are, to my experience, Faceless Void (if the enemy can't disable or burst well into Chronosphere) and Wraith King against a matchup with no mana drainers - then he can afford to laugh about burst damage in his first incarnation. He can actually be an extremely effective tank due to his stun, crit and aura making targetting priorities for the enemy team very hard.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

WINTER WYVERN IS COMING YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHH
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

All of the Russian guides suggest bloodstone for Lina and Death Prophet.

Doesn't building Blink Dagger that early on Legion Commander cause damage problems? I usually rush a Skullbasher, and the stun chance on that, well it makes everything easier.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Depends on how well you can time your duels / how much you can rely on your team. Remember that LC does not need to get the kill to get the bonus damage.

Also, while Bloodstone became a bit cheaper recently, building it on Lina or Death Prophet is .. edgy, to put it mildly. It does give hitpoints, but it really doesn't go that far against late-game damage output. HoT gives about double hitpoints total (40 times 19 means 760 HP from Strength bonus alone) and a very useful passive.

You also need to consider against what you need to tank. If it's mostly physical damage (as is likely) you would want to stack up on items that give bonus armor, get a Ghost Scepter, Blademail or Euls (if you're Death Prophet) for completely dodging damage spikes and making your hitpoints go much farther. I think the general recommendation was that you should get an armor item to tank physical damage if your hitpoints hover around the 2k mark already.
Honorary mention goes to Heaven's Halberd, due to the evasion passive and disarm ability.

If it's magical damage, your first answer should be A BKB or a Pipe - the latter works better for prolonged fights, the former saves you from disables and completely nullifies most magic damage. However, it's sometimes necessary to stack raw HP against heavy magic or pure damage.

On the subject of Death Prophet and Lina in particular: Death Prophet wants to rush Euls. This item gives you everything you want - movement speed to chase and escape, a disable to facilitate both (practice silencing right as an enemy drops!) and all mana regen you really need on her. If you then need tank items, the recommendation is Drums of Endurance then transition into whatever seems most appropriate against the damage your enemy has - Shiva's Guard or Heart of Tarrasque.

Lina has a somewhat different perspective. Death Prophet really needs to tank because the mechanics of her ultimate mean that she needs to stay in the thick of battle. Lina does not need to do that. Practice positioning to negate damage. Get an Euls if you didn't do that already (the Euls into stun combo is practically core by now). If enemies still manage to focus you and not suffer too much for it, consider Ghost Scepter against physical DPS (makes you completely immune and typically causes enemies to go hit something else). Drums of Endurance or starting a Scepter are also options - it's expensive for the stats it gives you, but you can start with the Soul Booster and Ogre Club and the upgrade is really sweet. Afterwards, I like going Shivas against physical or - if you can get the absurd amount of farm that going Bloodstone implies - Eye of Skadi. Getting a BKB against nukes still applies. Or just get a Desolator or Crystalis and deal so much damage with Fiery Soul that you don't have a tanking problem.
GreatGreyShrike
Master

AndreiChekov wrote:All of the Russian guides suggest bloodstone for Lina and Death Prophet.
On Death Prophet, it's pretty good. I think in the current meta though you are extremely rewarded for going for fast Eul's Scepter on DP, as you can line up silences better and go invincible for a bit after your ult kills things, and I personally find that after the Euls BS is a bit of a waste compared to other options - you end up getting it mostly for the HP and the faster respawn, and for roughly the same price you could be looking at Heart or Shiva's Guard instead. Wouldn't be surprised to see an Euls nerf in next patch though so this may change and the faster BS build may come back again as the best - for a long time it was the best.

On Lina: Not a typical pickup for me. I tend to lean towards either Euls or Blink to help with landing the stun Light Strike Array (it's delay means its hard unless you surprise them or you hold them in place somehow). After that, either Aghs Scepter (against BKB pickups mostly - pure damage that goes through magic immunity can be amazing vs low-hp agility hard carries) or sometimes Scythe of Vyse or other utility pickups or even defensive things like Force Staff, Ghost Scepter, or whatever.
AndreiChekov wrote:]Doesn't building Blink Dagger that early on Legion Commander cause damage problems? I usually rush a Skullbasher, and the stun chance on that, well it makes everything easier.
Usually early game you are ganking with allies. Typically your big damage contibution will be landing a big Overwhelming Odds. You should have allies helping to DPS down the target, while you lock them in place and prevent them from running. The big problem with an early gank is usually not that you can't kill them in 4s of 2-3 people dropping all their spells and autottacks on the target, it's that the target can run away and back off and escape - forcing you to chase into unsafe spots and so forth. If your allies are super unreliable (which as fellow new players they may be!), building to be able to gank and kill alone may be better, but usually when you get to more experienced games you can count on people to help you out in ganking (in my experience on US and EUW servers - Russia may be different).

---

Meta point:

Every game is super different and you have to adapt to the situation. I had a game the other day where I ended up building a MKB and Satanic on Lina. I was the only competent person with a group of new players from the LearnDota2 channel, and while I was trying to give them advice and assistance after the early game I was still the person who had the gold and level advantage and hero pick to best become a strong midgame carry, so I decided to carry our team to victory - and we won because I outcarried their team. This wasn't something I would have done in pretty much any soloqueue game with players of a similar skill level to me, but in the game I was in I did weird and unconventional stuff in order to win - and we won.

Ultimately, you should *try* item builds and learn why they exist and why people do them, then adapt them to the game you are in. Don't do things just because they are the next thing to do on a list - do them because it will make you win the game. If you are the only person on your team getting gold and your team lacks the disables you absolutely NEED to lock down a good Storm Spirit or he will kill your entire team, build the Orchid or Scythe - even if your hero never normally builds one, if it will win the game for you build it anyway.

That said, item builds are a reasonable idea if you have no idea what to buy - following a set item build to learn why pros do it is a great idea when learning a hero or the game in general. However, learning the item builds that people mostly use and why they do that is the *start*, not the *end* of learning what to buy in DotA.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Shrike, since I've seen you use it just recently - could you explain good usage of a Hand of Midas? I usually shy away from it due to the high cost upfront and rather long time it takes to make up it's own cost (at which point the game could well be decided). I can see the merit on using it on big jungle creeps if your hero is very level-dependent, but that can hardly account for all the people I've seen buy it.
GreatGreyShrike
Master

Nachtigallerator wrote:Shrike, since I've seen you use it just recently - could you explain good usage of a Hand of Midas? I usually shy away from it due to the high cost upfront and rather long time it takes to make up it's own cost (at which point the game could well be decided). I can see the merit on using it on big jungle creeps if your hero is very level-dependent, but that can hardly account for all the people I've seen buy it.
Alright.

Hand of Midas's active does a weird transmutation thing to most normal (non-Ancient) creeps on the map. It instantly kills the creep, and gives you 2.5x XP that the creep would normally give and 190 gold regardless of how much the creep is normally worth. The ~190 gold every 100 seconds works out to a bit over 110 GPM, so it theoretically takes about 18-20 minutes to 'pay off' the full gold cost. Adding ~110 to your GPM for a game can make a huge difference - carries who are getting 600 GPM get a butterfly in 10 minutes, while 500 means it takes 12 minutes.

What to Use Midas On:

In theory, the best thing to do with a Hand of Midas early game is to Hand of Midas a big creep in the jungle. The 'big' creeps are the red hellbear, the biggest of 3 Satyrs, the big Dark Troll, or the blue centaur. All are roughy equal and give a big bunch of exp, and when converted give a nice XP boost. However, this is only really worth doing if you can do it without missing much lane CS - if you have to leave a lane for a significant period of time (missing last hits and allowing the enemy free farm) you probably shouldn't. This caution about leaving the lane is most applicable to Dire mid getting a Midas - the Radiant mid and both sides of bot/top lanes have pretty near access to camps they can Midas. Eating the big creep instantly means you can clear the rest of the camp fast and without taking much damage, and helps accelerate your gold and farm. Try to midas every time the cooldown comes up - ideally be moving towards a creep to midas several seconds before the CD elapses, etc. If midas goes 30 seconds cooled down and unused while you are alive that's bad.

Later in the game, when you have a lot of experience and the difference in xp gain isn't very importantand you kill creeps really fast, midas a smaller creep or lane creep - it gives the biggest gold bonus (190 instead of a comparably tiny normal bounty, instead of replacing the bigger creep bounty, and gives you the max gold for clearing the creep camp). My rule of thumb is after you have lvl 16 midas small creeps, before that try to midas big creeps, given the option. Sometimes you have to choose between using midas immediately on lane creeps or just waiting; in these cases it is pretty much always better to just use it as soon as possible.

---

When to build Midas:

This is a really tough question but in general as a hard carry: if you can get away with it. If you NEED more stats to survive enemy burst that's incoming and hit a little harder, get the drums or whatever instead. If you need to defend as a team against an early push strat, or are yourselves trying for an early push strat, get the early game items you need (Mek? Vlads? Etc?). And so forth. Things that make getting Midas better:

1) Freefarm on your hero while farming it (earlier midas pays off faster and the extra XP matters more - getting midas at 5 mins is great, getting it at 10 is quite iffy).
2) Weak or Passive opposing lane: Midas grants basically no defensive capability most of the time. It will not help you live, and barely helps getting kills. If your enemy is not applying any pressure whatsoever midas is better, if you have gotten ganked 3x in the last 5 mins by smoke rotations and are getting pressured in lane by a viper/silencer dual lane Midas is not so good.
3) The enemy team is weak at pushing / You are good at depushing / the game is probably going lategame. If the game ends at 16:00 then even if you could buy midas at minute zero it wouldn't have time to pay off and matter. If the game ends at 50:00+ a five minute midas can pay for itself several times over in gold before even considering the XP edge.
4) Your team will likely win or play evenly lategame against theirs. If you have to end the game by 30 minutes or else their 5 core composition will wreck you, build earlier impacting items than midas.
5) You can use the attack speed postively. Some heros really like a little more attack speed and it actually helps them fight a lot, e.g. sniper, invoker, faceless void...
6) You spend a lot of time running in/out of jungle and can use midas maximally efficiently + you have other means of accelerating your farm. Mostly Nature's Prophet and Doom can keep the midas employed well 100% of the time and also have farm accelerating abilities.

Sometimes people also get midas on certain supports to 'catch up' sort of. This is for a few supports who get really strong with xp/gold and have limited farming ability and who a modest amount like 2k won't really do a lot for. The biggest example here is Arcane Appartion - AA's ult is super meaningful as it scales to level 16 so getting the bonus XP is wonderful to catch up, and getting an Aghs scepter makes a huge difference to it but is difficult for him to farm without some sort of help. At the same time, in fights AA's job is typically to be blasting with his ult from the other side of the map or maybe to buff people from 1k range away, so getting normal support items that require you to be in the fray to be good (urn, force staff, mek, etc) is less good on him than other people. So on AA a LOT of people go for a midas early and then get an aghs later on.
GreatGreyShrike
Master

I don't know if anyone here keeps up at all with pro play; in the ongoing DAC tournament LAN being held in China currently, there was a recent game I suggest watching if you haven't already, purely for the entertainment value - the Secret vs Cloud 9 Game 2
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Man, I don't even remember when was the last time I played DotA 2 seriously.

When was the last big patch? I probably won't be picking the game back up any time soon, but it's nice to know what's going on at the moment.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
GreatGreyShrike
Master

icyshadowlord wrote:Man, I don't even remember when was the last time I played DotA 2 seriously.

When was the last big patch? I probably won't be picking the game back up any time soon, but it's nice to know what's going on at the moment.
The most recent major patch was the 6.83 (Shifting Snows) update, released in the middle of last December (a month and a half ago). The meta shifted pretty hard, and as a result the major winners in the 'frequently picked' list are currently:

- Spin 2 Win: At least one of Axe, Troll, and Juggernaut seem to be showing up in every game. The majority have two or more.

- Shadow Fiend: Buff to Raze makes this guy a frequent mid

- Windranger: Not uncommon offlane or mid nowadays

- Queen of Pain: Now playable and picked.

- Vengeful Spirit is super common nowadays.

In competitive Dota, several additional heros are being picked that have not shown up in the pub scene nearly as much

- Chen and Enchantress both got major buffs and Chen especially is a super common first pick/first ban

Big losers compared to how much they used to be played include:

- Faceless Void

- Brewmaster

- Death Prophet

- Nature's Prophet

-----------------------------

As the biggest major tournament is now over and there's a breather for a while, and there's been a lot of work completed on Winter Wyvern, and certain things in the current meta are pretty clearly needing some nerfs judging by popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if a new patch came out with the new hero and a bunch of balance changes/tweaks either this week or next.

EDIT: I fucking called it, new patch with new hero deploying soon. Winter Wyvern is inbound along with nerfs on 2/3 of the spin-to-win heros (the most egregious 2, Axe and Jug)
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Patch was just a small one, balance-wise. I get the feeling 6.84 is going to be coming out in a month or so. I am so happy about Winter Wyvern.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Now I'm tempted to pick DotA 2 up again, but I'm so rusty right now.

Last time I played, I picked Phantom Assassin and ended up feeding the enemy team...
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

I had a game where my allies couldn't land any of their delay abilities, so I bought sange. Is this a good idea, or should I have just gone with eul's?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

If the number of enemies you want to hit is greater than 1, sange is probably better. But then again, you might be death prophet or something and Eul's is definitely better on her no matter how many enemies you want to hit.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

If you can use the +20 int and don't need MS or mana regen specifically, Rod of Atos is practically made for the purpose of lining up skillshots. Euls requires some skill in timing the delay skill you're trying to land.

I consider it core on Necrophos and Skywrath, but you can make use of it on most support heroes. I've watched Aui_2000 use it to great effect with Lina, but I understand it's basically his go-to item for most situations.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

So, what are your thoughts on Winter Wyvern?

In my games, I've found her very useful for early aggression (and goddamn it's nice to have a slow that works on Juggernaut) and her ult is basically a ranged version of Reverse Polarity. I'm kind of at loss for what items suit her best, though - I usually default to Tranquils, Soul Ring, Euls and then whatever.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I'm not sure if Eul's is that great on her. I like going Soul Ring first, then tranquil or mana boots depending on how much my lane partner is crying about mana. Force staff helps set up ults and medallion of courage makes them more dangerous.

Having her slow and ult go through magic immunity is fantastic, and her flight is really nice for juking.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

I got Euls mostly for mana regen and to fix the anemic movespeed - I agree that Cyclone is not super synergistic with her skills, but it's still very good to have at least once on your team (dispelling rune buffs = pure hilarity).
I do guess she'd make a good Orchid carrier if there's something to be shut down by it.

Between WWs gigantic range with Arctic Burn and a fast ms from Tranquils+Euls, I found I don't really need the force staff push. Still, I'll probably give it a try next time.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Force staff also lets you make Sick Plays(tm) by ulting someone and then force pushing them into their team. But probably like it better because I don't pick up Eul's.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Does using euls on yourself right when spirit breaker is about to hit you cancel his charge?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
GreatGreyShrike
Master

So, DotA v. 6.84 is coming. They've released patch notes and also deployed to test servers; expect bug fixes on some crazy new shit (reflecting spells!) followed by eventually deployment to main servers.

Big losers: Sniper, Troll. Crazy new shit. Dota is going to be a new game again.

We LoL now, apparantly - there is an item with spell vamp and cooldown reduction (which is also a tribute to Terry Pratchett, titled the Octarine Core). It is super expensive but expect it to show up on Core Leshrac and maybe Timbersaw, and maybe zeus.

A lot of heros got or improved aghs upgrades. The most batshit insane are probably Luna's (Eclipse with Cast Range of 2500 or following an ally!), Alchemist (Give Aghs to your allies!) and maybe Techies (truesight doesn't work on mines right next to your sign).

Other new items - shadowblade upgrade looks strong; shadow amulet upgrade; crazy reflect spells bullshit that is probably too expensive to see a lot of real use, but I have no idea really; crazy Medallion upgrade that probably will see real use a lot; and a lot of other stuff. Mangos to go
with Tangos.

A lot of hero changes.

Gameplay changes mostly makes killing both more effective and more rewarded/lucrative for supports. Expect roaming ganking supports to be much more of a thing now at all levels of play.

Bottom Line: Time to relearn how to play DotA. It's a new game now.
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I am so psyched about this patch. Those Aghanim upgrades are insane, except LC whose is just really cool and not that useful.

Also, there is a lot of League-ish stuff getting added. Supports are less valuable when you kill them, new support items and old ones getting buffed, CDR showing up a lot more (Chakra Magic OP). I can't wait for this to leave the test client.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.