Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I understand it's auto-generated site content, but the part that made me laugh the most was the "Similar Users" section at the bottom right.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

big image big
I really, really, REALLY need to find a place to use this:
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Why is there a clothing store? I don't get art.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because people frequently browse through and buy things they neither need nor want just because it's put in front of them.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The guy giving a meeting is wearing a tie.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

DSMatticus wrote:Why is there a clothing store? I don't get art.
Everyone is actually wearing clothes. The title is "How Superman sees the world"
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Someone has to fill the barrel around here...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Essence wrote:Image
VG Cats did it better

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

There's more of that here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/w3nA4
HFY
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

spoilered because huge
the bong dong.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

I'm part of way to many communities where this is an appropriate welcome message.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Ahem. That story presents bad math and flawed economics and must be dismissed as dangerous propaganda:

To wit: If A ship costs $10 to build in an earth atmosphere, but only $1 to build in a Venutian atmosphere - then the dragons can safely sell them for up to $9 without being any risk of being undercut. But if such ships only cost $4 space million to produce in an earth atmosphere , then the dragons can only sell them for $3 before they risk losing business to a competitor. In short, that plot point makes no sense at all.

But maybe it's not a math error, maybe it's just vague writing? If instead the "four times more expensive" refers to the original assumption of 10x the cost, and instead a ship which costs $1 to build in a Venutian atmosphere actually costs $40 to build in an earth atmosphere, then the dragons have in fact been getting ripped off and the plot point works. It's a shame the the math still doesn't. You see they had apparently been undercharging by "SIXTY PERCENT", in ALLCAPS in the original text. But if they had been undercharging due to being misinformed about their competitor's cost only being $10, then they were charging $9. And if the cost was actually $40 (or $30 with ore nearby) then they should have been charging $39 (or maybe $29). Now $9 X 160% = $14.4. Which is nowhere close to the low end figure of $29. No, if that was the case, they were undercharging by more than 200%.

Author is so bad at interstellar economics he should go read Some Krugman
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

It could be a typo; it works out if they'd been told four times and it was actually ten, assuming they sold at other species' production cost.
Last edited by name_here on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Author is so bad at interstellar economics he should go read Some Krugman
That Krugman paper is great. Lot's of good word play and dry snark, plus a clear case that someone read them some Asimov during their formative years. Also, I find the juxtaposition of bland economic jargon piled up next to sci-fi terms inordinately funny.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Garbled math/economics or no, that's great, and makes me want to dig up some DragonStar* books and consider running it. But then, the Den knows what my math pedigree is.

*Forgotten Realms IN SPACE

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

My favorite part of that paper was Figure II.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.