Point and Click: Originality Check

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Point and Click: Originality Check

Post by Koumei »

I decided to download AGS, and start making my very own Point and Click Adventure. Ideally with zero "FUCK SIERRA GAMES" bullshit where you're supposed to check the quantum wheels of your car, or buy a knife, sharpen it on specific stone steps, then use it to cut grass to make a skirt and carve a stick into a "rare tribal souvenir".

Anyway. The thing is, there are a lot of such games, and I'd hate to start on it, only to be told "That already exists, you're just copying ___!"

So here is my pitch:
You are Cthulhu, summoned into the mortal world. The cultists who summoned you aren't here, and might be dead. You discover you are in America, and because America is a shithole, you want to find a way to be banished back to R'lyeh. Alternatively, it's not because America, you just want to return because the time isn't right and Earth is not ready.

So you'll first have to leave the house, remembering to put a disguise together so Liberal White Guilt leads to people thinking "That poor man has a skin condition, I best not mention it". And then you basically go on a jolly adventure of finding the people who can actually banish you and making it happen - that being the main part of the game.
Please inform me if it basically already exists.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

As far as the whole "aquatic tenticaled monstrosity tries to disguise itself as human, hilarity ensues" elements go, they show up in Octodad and sequel Octodad: Dadliest Catch. Not exactly a point and click adventure, though - fighting the controls is the majority of the game, rather than puzzle solving per se. As far as roleplaying as Cthulhu specifically goes, there's the JRPG-style Cthulhu Saves The World.

I would not be surprised were AncientHistory to know more about each and every Mythos adaptation to the world of videogames, given his passion for the subject of Lovecraft and the mythos; perhaps PM him (not sure if he checks this subforum all that much?)
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

The only somewhat similar games I'd heard of are Octodad and CStW, as said above.

I think that unless you're looking to make mythos references in a particularly novel way that using Cthulhu as a main character isn't necessarily all that useful. Has there been a Point and Click Adventure with a Worm that Walks as a main character? I tend to prefer P&Cs that involve evolution of native abilities, and somewhat limit the arbitrary combination of items, and starting play as a maggot or two could at least provide that. Thematically this lesser version of The Stars Ain't Right could just involve resolving a few month inadvertent delay of the protagonist's complete resurrection, instead of eons, allowing for interaction with NPCs both before and after their worm status.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.