D&D 5E Dragonborn Druid Social Justice Warrior

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

FrankTrollman wrote: It's so lazy that it defies ready analysis. You literally cannot analyze most of the rules, because the authors were too lazy to actually tell you what they are.
They did it. They finally figured out how to thwart their critics and the min-maxers.
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

Its funny because its true. But seriously check any thread where a player is asking for character optimization or a concept. In the first few replies you will have a addendum to the reply that goes something like...but check with your DM.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

where the replies aren't "ROLEplay not ROLLplay dirty min-maxer," even when you're in a forum section hypothetically dedicated to character optimization and help.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

ubernoob wrote: I rolled up something close to the human necromancer build from earlier in the thread.
Sounds like it may've been a weaker version, as ye totally should've had the Dwarf/Halfling Cleric's AC numbers on top of other melee capabilities as I've been told to understand. Brell of Cox sounds like a rather solid character to play after all.

Speaking of Lazy, I went to a Barnes & Noble awhile ago, and it had BOTH 4E, and 5E line of books. In 5e's DMG, under type of "sub-genres" (Like wuxia, sword & sorcery, etc), it ripped those passages word for word, from the 4E DMG (I checked, I think Mystery had A word changed & that was it). Other than giving examples of D&D material/novels that represent that type of game.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

You were always going to suck for a few levels with the necromancer build so don't feel bad. The no advantage/disadvantage thing is gonna bite you for a bit, Blur is really badass as written but now it's just a +2 to AC buff so you don't feel cool until level 5. Don't fret anyway. Your rise to power will now be a sharp spike at 5th level and since you gained 2 levels last session that should be extremely soon. Spend the next session, or at most 2, building up good will with the party and congratulating them on being better than you. This way when you are demonstrably better than the rest of the party combined in another few levels there will be less sour grapes.

One mistake in party optimization that your group has made is not including a Paladin. The 5E Paladin is an extremely boss addition to any group. With low level spells that can give the entire group Damage Resistance to any melee attacks forever I consider the Paladin the new Cleric. If anyone dies to an unlucky crit (which is extremely likely) consider talking up the Paladin. Your army of minions is already going to be deadlier than most 5E monsters can handle, if you combine that with huge AOE buffs over all of them then you'll run roughshod over the game.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.