Backporting Tome to 3.0E

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I really do not fucking understand all this bullshit about XOXOXOX flanking chains. For fucks sake, initiative delay and Lightning Bolt are things that exist.

I am hard pressed to imagine a single situation ever in any combat in which a flanking chain would ever be either sides optimal move. Things like Stinking Cloud and the ability for you to kill someone in a single full attack make the very idea of wasting even a single action trying to set one up absolutely absurd.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Scrivener
Journeyman

Post by Scrivener »

What? Who lighting bolts their own people?

Flanking is better than not flanking, you can agree with that right? A +2 is better than a +0. Being next to allies of artillery discourages AoE because most people avoid friendly fire, unless effort has gone to make it inconsequential.

When charging into combat a rational person will attempt to flank, on both sides. So if you have two teams of two, a&b and 1&2, if anyone is flanked like 1a2, the most advantageous charge point is b1a2 or 1a2b. Heck if any of these combatants have sneak attack it makes this configuration more likely.

Now if your point is "why worry about martials?" Sure, they get out classed, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Scrivener wrote:What? Who lighting bolts their own people?
Hence why I stated that delay exists.
Scrivener wrote:Flanking is better than not flanking, you can agree with that right? A +2 is better than a +0. Being next to allies of artillery discourages AoE because most people avoid friendly fire, unless effort has gone to make it inconsequential.
High Ground is better than not right? So clearly everyone is always fighting on tables.

Your idea is incredibly simplistic and stupid. Stupid because if you are not a Rogue, and the enemy team has any non zero number of Rogues, you are not going to trade your flanking of them for their flanking of you, because they clearly get more out of it.

Simplistic because flanking doesn't have a zero cost to obtain and maintain. If you have to provoke even a single AoO to get flanking it instantly isn't worth it. Also since a full attack kills someone in one turn, the idea of trying to get a flanking bonus to kill and then more kill their corpse is meaningless.
Scrivener wrote:Now if your point is "why worry about martials?" Sure, they get out classed, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues.
No my point is that if there exists a person who can cast stinking cloud on your team, then your best strategy is to form a wall, not let the enemy inside the wall, and fight with them in the stinking cloud and you not in the stinking cloud. And letting them get out of the stinking cloud or going into it yourself just so you have flanking is fucking retarded.

TL;DR: There are so many million things going on in every given battle that are more important than a +2 bonus that I have literally in 10+ years never seen this stupid conga line bullshit, and if you are every finding that a stupid +2 bonus is the most important factor in the combat determining everyone's positioning then you are clearly doing something stupidly wrong, possible using only level 4 warriors on both sides of the fight.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Am I misremembering things or did 3.0E D&D have more detailed and useful rules for cover than 3.5E?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Am I misremembering things or did 3.0E D&D have more detailed and useful rules for cover than 3.5E?
Yes.

Tower Shields used to grant some amount of cover; then got changed into granting +4 (equivalent of "half cover").
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Riddle of Steel had an interesting premise for maneuvering in combat called the Terrain Roll. The way it works is...

1) Everyone involved in the melee makes a terrain roll
2) The person who rolled the highest gets to choose who he engages in combat OR chooses that he will not be engaged in combat

So lets say the PC is a knight chasing an injured ork that has been joined by two other fresh orks. Some possible results are

-Knight wins the roll: Knight has managed to outmaneuver the orks and chooses to target the injured one, the other orks cannot attack him for this round.
-Injured ork wins the roll, with knight in 2nd: The ork flees, the knight has to choose which of the two orks left he will engage but he only fights that one ork this round.
-Knight loses to all orks: all 3 orks get to make attacks on the knight this round.

I figure something similar can be adopted to grid-based D&D play
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Tower Shields used to grant some amount of cover; then got changed into granting +4 (equivalent of "half cover").
Yeah, they gave cover, which was really handy for hiding behind them, thus being able to make Hide checks.

And for flat-out negating all Attacks of Opportunity ever. Clerics just never provoked thanks to that one item. The friend who taught me the rules even had this little gesture of raising his arm then lowering it, miming "having a tower shield", for every time the MC mentioned provoking.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

And this was a preferable state of affairs because...?
ACOS
Knight

Re: Backporting Tome to 3.0E

Post by ACOS »

DeadlyReed wrote:I've decided to go back to 3.0e. Anything I should keep a lookout for in regards to using Tome material?
Facing?
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

I don't remember 3.0 having facing, except perhaps as an alternate rule. It did have pseudo-facing for non-square creatures, in that they could be oriented one way or the other, but that still didn't define a fixed front or back, or have any such rules effect.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Notably 3.0 shield had heavy pseudo-facing.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Darkness is actually dark in 3.0.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."