My pants are trapped.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

My pants are trapped.

Post by User3 »

Has anyone ever used traps?

For example, the Symbol spells are a great way to hide magical power in you pants. Cast the spell on youself or on an item you are goin to wear, set it up so your friends are all immune to it and it triggers on a phrase, and then BLAMMO on monsters when they get near.

Ever thought about carrying around a Fusilage of darts in a bag of holding, perhaps with a Minor Creation effect trap on them to provide endless poisoned darts?

SRD wrote:Fusillade of Darts: CR 5; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +18 ranged (1d4+1, dart); multiple targets (1d8 darts per target in a 10-ft.-by-10-ft. area); Search DC 19; Disable Device DC 25. Market Price: 18,000 gp.

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Re: My pants are trapped.

Post by Lago_AM3P »

In 3.5E, why even bother with that?

Load up your ass with fire seeds. Get the holly berry version. And I mean load up to the brim. Put them all in your pocket. Now have someone cast 'energy resistance' or whatever it's called at a high enough caster level so that a single seed's explosion. would never hurt you.

Walk up to the enemy. Say the command word. At the highest caster level, each easily does around 20 hp of damage, and you get eight of them for each casting. And they last 10 minutes a caster level.

It's quite easy to get into the hundreds of damage without sacrificing your best spell slots (as a druid, of course), and there's no mess or weird cover strategy.

This would be the one time ever the 'energy substitution' metamagic feat might come in handy, BTW.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Thats not a terrible tactic, but it trades power today for an effect today.

A bunch of Symbols or other trap spells(like Glyph of Warding) today is power whenever you need it in the future.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

An opponent still has to read/study the rune the symbol works on. Simply looking at it isn't enough.

And since fire seeds can only be cast by divine casters (who only need an hour's worth of recharging) and lasts two hours when you first get it, it is effectively free for people who actually use, you know, a schedule.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Actually, symbols and Glyphs work on on a number of triggers like:

SRD wrote:Any creature that enters the area while the symbol of death is active is subject to its effect, whether or not that creature was in the area when it was triggered. A creature need save against the symbol only once as long as it remains within the area, though if it leaves the area and returns while the symbol is still active, it must save again.
Until it is triggered, the symbol of death is inactive (though visible and legible at a distance of 60 feet). To be effective, a symbol of death must always be placed in plain sight and in a prominent location. Covering or hiding the rune renders the symbol of death ineffective, unless a creature removes the covering, in which case the symbol of death works normally.
As a default, a symbol of death is triggered whenever a creature does one or more of the following, as you select: looks at the rune reads the rune; touches the rune;, passes over the rune; or passes through a portal bearing the rune. Regardless of the trigger method or methods chosen, a creature more than 60 feet from a symbol of death can’t trigger it (even if it meets one or more of the triggering conditions, such as reading the rune). Once the spell is cast, a symbol of death’s triggering conditions cannot be changed.
In this case, “reading” the rune means any attempt to study it, identify it, or fathom its meaning. Throwing a cover over a symbol of death to render it inoperative triggers it if the symbol reacts to touch. You can’t use a symbol of death offensively; for instance, a touch-triggered symbol of death remains untriggered if an item bearing the symbol of death is used to touch a creature. Likewise, a symbol of death cannot be placed on a weapon and set to activate when the weapon strikes a foe.
You can also set special triggering limitations of your own. These can be as simple or elaborate as you desire. Special conditions for triggering a symbol of death can be based on a creature’s name, identity, or alignment, but otherwise must be based on observable actions or qualities. Intangibles such as level, class, Hit Dice, and hit points don’t qualify. When scribing a symbol of death, you can specify a password or phrase that prevents a creature using it from triggering the effect. Anyone using the password remains immune to that particular rune’s effects so long as the creature remains within 60 feet of the rune. If the creature leaves the radius and returns later, it must use the password again.
You also can attune any number of creatures to the symbol of death, but doing this can extend the casting time.

So you cast it on yourself(or your pants), make yourself and your pals immune to it, then trigger it to "active" by looking at or touching your own symbols and saying a command word (an observable action) and everyone within 60' who is not attuned gets nailed.

Cool, no?