Angry Drunk Review - 5e Monster Manual: A Modern Relic

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

kjdavies
Apprentice

Post by kjdavies »

Previn wrote:Their entire use of CR in 5 is pretty much foolish, so I think this is just a case where it happens to be a thing.
CR's always been hinky in 3e+, but even though I don't trust it entirely I still find it useful as a rough measure.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

I have no idea what the partial CR is supposed to be about. There really isn't any mention of it, or explanation of how to use it. I literally typed out the entire CR portion of the book.

I'm at the point where I think they wrote the CR stuff, and then figured they'd get the rules done after for it. Then they delayed the DMG because they didn't, and finally just said fuck it.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Somebody suggested Dungeons and Dragons: Aw, Fuck It be the new name for Next.

It seems so half-baked and slapdash.

For all of 4E's faults, it came at you direct as a punch to the face on the mechanics, mathematics and philosophy of monster creation.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Still waiting for the "The DM Punches You in the Goddamn Face Edition".
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

So Wizards is posting cartoons about dragons. While generally interesting, the 5e parts of it are not.
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

Any news on the WotC annual christmas layoffs? Other then the DM screen there are no upcoming products. As in 0.
Last edited by Ghremdal on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Krusk wrote:Death Knight
The fluff for these is that they are made when a paladin that falls from grace dies without seeking atonement. The weird part here is that there no requirement for paladins to be good in 5e. Its implied, but you could totally take an "Oath of Vengence" and become a "Dark Knight" who has an "aura of menace" with the policy of "ordinary foes might win my mercy, but my sworn enemies do not". So the idea that you are evil, and break your vow to murder every elf you see, and become a Death Knight seems weird. Basically its a stupid concemt, but it fufills the concept of "Melee lich" a bunch of people were debating here. Most importantly here, there are no rules for it happening to your PC. This isn't a template, this is just a static monster. So your level 3 paladin that fails his oath to protect the weak and dies in the process? CR 17 death knight. Your Level 20 paladin who does the same? CR 17 death knight.
I am okay with this. There's no clear reason to me that the unholy power of a dead paladin would necessarily be and equal and opposite to the living paladin. If the great and most exalted champion of good dies, and his evil corpse has only a paltry faction of his power, I am okay with that. If people freak out about every paladin and watch the level 2 guys extremely closely because every paladin is a time bomb of a potential city-wrecking death knight, I'm okay with that too. It's like being a psyker or a dragon age mage.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

My very first game had a paladin npc who joined us for a bit but then got killed and it turns out he had performed the turn-into-a-lich-when-you-die ritual years previous and was trying to atone enough to undo it but didn't succeed so then he rose as this immensely powerful evil monster and killed the party (so that we could continue adventuring in the underworld, naturally).

It was amazing.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Insomniac wrote:Somebody suggested Dungeons and Dragons: Aw, Fuck It be the new name for Next.

It seems so half-baked and slapdash.

For all of 4E's faults, it came at you direct as a punch to the face on the mechanics, mathematics and philosophy of monster creation.
That was me commenting on your own comment: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=418875#418875
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

I had a whole thing explaining to you why this is bad, but then I reread and saw this part.
Orion wrote:If people freak out about every paladin and watch the level 2 guys extremely closely because every paladin is a time bomb of a potential city-wrecking death knight, I'm okay with that too. It's like being a psyker or a dragon age mage.
Thats not the norm for DND settings. You don't have orders of dudes dedicated to eradicating paladins because of this risk, and you don't have people watching your level 1 and 2 dude to ensure he doesn't freak out.

That might potentially be cool, but its not at all what any setting for DND I've heard of has done.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

ACOS wrote:Still waiting for the "The DM Punches You in the Goddamn Face Edition".
Wasn't that going to be Dungeonscape's scheduled expansion for Oculus Rift?
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Dogbert wrote:
ACOS wrote:Still waiting for the "The DM Punches You in the Goddamn Face Edition".
Wasn't that going to be Dungeonscape's scheduled expansion for Oculus Rift?
:rofl: :thumb:
LonelyBoy
NPC

Post by LonelyBoy »

zugschef wrote:
Whipstitch wrote:I'd take it more seriously if it was anyone but Chris Rock. In many ways the dude is a centrist whiny baby.
He said that the late George Carlin said the same thing...
And Bill Maher, recently.

I'm also curious what the accepted term is to call out "feminists" who say thing like, for example "all male-initiated hetero sex is rape" or "men should be subjugated for two thousand years to even things out". Like, for example, my sister used to, though thankfully she's mellowed in recent years. It seems like any term that could be used for that gets you marked as a Limbaugh fan, which is quite not the case for me.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

If you're not trying to come off like an asshole than obviously the right move is not to tag them with a label at all en route to taking issue with what they said. You may still have an argument on your hands but that can't be helped.
bears fall, everyone dies
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

@lonleyboy

Fake hypothetical examples.
Made up friends of friends
Made up sisters
People whose words you twisted when they made you feel bad for being terrible

Alternatively in the 1 in a billion chance they are real

Assholes.

But really, you bring a thread back for this bullshit topic? Fuck off
LonelyBoy
NPC

Post by LonelyBoy »

Krusk wrote:@lonleyboy

Made up sisters

Assholes.

You assume I'm lying or twisting the truth and am terrible. Take a dose of that fuck off yourself; what I said is what I dealt with for about two decades. Pretending assholes only exist in one direction doesn't make you egalitarian or enlightened.

And this wasn't even a three-week bump. The thread had been three months long.[/i]
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

"...Down the fanatic, down the clown; Down, down, hammer them down..."
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

LonelyBoy wrote:
Krusk wrote:@lonleyboy

Made up sisters

Assholes.

You assume I'm lying or twisting the truth and am terrible. Take a dose of that fuck off yourself; what I said is what I dealt with for about two decades. Pretending assholes only exist in one direction doesn't make you egalitarian or enlightened.

And this wasn't even a three-week bump. The thread had been three months long.[/i]
You have a total of four posts, all of them in 5e threads, all of them roughly about your oppression at the hands of feminazis. I'll put the odds that you're not a raging shitstain on par with the odds for being in a plane crash.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Eh, he's only made like four posts, no need to jump on a guy drawing conclusions to him being terrible. That is, find disagreement among his views on discussion in Game/RPG design, opposed to "fake sisters" or whatever.

Either case, to make the Thread revival more worthwhile, I'm gonna link the posts of Monsters A-Z for posterity (spoiler blocked for convenience), so others don't need to search a mere 12 page thread. I suggest the author should put it in first post, for whatever it may be worth anyway.

Monsters A-Z
A-B-ish (gargoyle wars be cool)

Monsters B2-C

Monsters D

Monsters E-F

Monsters G

Monsters H-J

Monsters K-L

Monsters M

Monsters N-O

Monsters P-R

Monsters S

Monsters T-W (Tarrasque is first entry here! but seriously T-U-V-W all?!)

Monsters X-Y-ish (only 2 entries, and right below it is next link, but oh well)

Monsters Y2-Z

Monsters: Appendix A Misc Creatures
Last edited by Aryxbez on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

I just don't know how he thought that post would get any other response. Its off topic obviously, but its so off topic, that someone was banned for discussing it in this thread after being told multiple times it was off topic and to stop. Thats about as off topic as you can be. Its also obvious from every response Hamster got that everyone thought he was being terrible. To then come back with "hey, I know you all told hamster he was terrible, but I think the same thing" and expect any response aside from "Don't be terrible asshole" seems mind mindbogglingly stupid.

Even better when his only 4 posts are all off topic in the exact same way. Kind of makes me think he is most likely a sock puppet/troll.

-- Thank you for the TOC though. Put it at the front, and its probably really handy.