We no longer live in a Free country:

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

power_word_wedgie
Master

Re: We no longer live in a Free country:

Post by power_word_wedgie »

The thing is that the disconnect is that those that should be the ones least likely to be able to buy IDs (illegal aliens) are the ones that are buying them for substantial price increases versus the DMV. Take >THIS< for example.

Criminal charges allege that a former Indiana License Branch worker took bribes for issuing legal documents to illegal aliens.

The bribes allegedly ranged in price from $40 dollars to $500 dollars.

Twenty-eight-year-old Julian Sanchez is accused of handing out bogus driver's licenses, learners’ permits and state IDs.

Charging documents indicate she told police, she had quite a reputation in the Hispanic community as being the person to see for fake IDs.

Julian Sanchez came to court Monday to answer to five felony counts of bribery.

She went to work for the BMV in May where she was said to be one of only two Spanish speaking clerks at the Western Avenue branch in South Bend.

According to St. Joseph County Prosecutor Michael Dvorak, an audit revealed that she had processed “at least 58-separate bogus transactions with false social security numbers, and social security information”.

Court documents indicate that Sanchez gave a statement to police, saying she had done so many illegal transactions that she no longer remembered how many.

If these people are able to get IDs, then the whole concept of "not being able to afford licenses" is just bogus. As an illegal alien, it isn't like you're making a king's ransom in wages.
Amethyst_Butterfly
Apprentice

Post by Amethyst_Butterfly »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1163560003[/unixtime]]
Amethyst_Butterfly at [unixtime wrote:1163473543[/unixtime]]that really does throw me for a loop tho, that not only did she not get her license, but no ID! That entire concept is foreign to me, lol. I dont think i even know anyone without a license, although i do know they exist

And that's the problem.

There's a whole world out there that's foreign to you, and expecting that other people have your innate advantages (so innate that you don't even know they exist!) is a bit of the problem.

-Crissa

Something available to every american is not an advantage.... If someone is too lazy and apathetic to bother getting it, thats their problem, not mine. Am I advantaged because I actually gave a shit?
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Amethyst_Butterfly at [unixtime wrote:1163563355[/unixtime]]If someone is too lazy and apathetic to bother getting it, thats their problem, not mine.

You know, after I typed my answer, I had to go off and mail something. While driving to the post office, I basically came to the same conclusion: it's really just apathy.

In my previous e-mail, the reason why illegal immigrant are paying up to ten times the value for an ID is that it is of value to them. Frankly, as a voter in the last election, it barely had value to me - heck, due to the political ads, if there was a disco-dancing polar bear on the ballot, I would have been seriously tempted to vote for him. And as I noted earlier, my wife didn't vote, so it showed even less value to her.

And this is not a new phenomena. Back in the late 1970's, the Democratic party used to put on the ballot as an option "None of the Above" for their primaries. I remember for the 1976 campaign in Nevada Jimmy Carter barely beat out this selection. Thus, since it was cause too much of a black eye for the party, they took the option off of the ballots for subsequent elections.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Amethyst_Butterfly at [unixtime wrote:1163563355[/unixtime]]
Something available to every american is not an advantage.... If someone is too lazy and apathetic to bother getting it, thats their problem, not mine. Am I advantaged because I actually gave a shit?

You being able to pay a poll tax is 'giving a shit'?

Mod Edit: Too far, Crissa. - fbmf

It took me four multi-hour visits, a note from my doctor, and a new certified copy of my birth certificate to get my Californian license. And I was born here!

It is an advantage.

-Crissa
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[TGFBS]
That'll be all for this thread.
[/TGFBS]