The Star Wars video games Megathread

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Shrapnel wrote:Oh, and Darth Vader turns into a scorpion,
"That didn't even happen in the special edition!" :wth:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Surgo wrote:Palpatine being generally awesome (he was the only character that got better rather than got worse, somehow, by some miracle).
I suspect it was because of 4 things:
1. Palpatine was the only remotely intelligent character in the prequels (seriously, everyone else is an idiot, being used by Palpatine, or both.)
2. Palpatine was the only major character in the prequels who had a consistent motivation for his actions (POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!), and a clear goal (engineer a war in order to increase his political power and take over the galaxy).
3. The prequels don't undermine his character from Return of the Jedi (where he is the dark side incarnate, a tyrannical dictator, and manipulator of Jedi) so he feels like the same character (unlike Obi-Wan or Yoda, who are idiots in the prequels instead of being wise sages, and Anakin, who is a total asshole instead of the hero we were told he was before falling.)
4. Ian McDiarmid knew when to ham it up with his character, and was one of the few to play his character well (despite terrible writing and directing making that difficult). He dialed up the "I'm totally evil, and obviously manipulating everyone, but I'm going to convince everyone I'm not" to 11 (especially in Episode III, which does loads to make that movie watchable).
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

All right, I saw a couple of videos of Jedi Outcast and I am fucking sold.

However, a game that rad deserves to be played as originally intended, so I'm buying a copy from Amazon.

Damn, I love this franchise.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Is Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption any good? The thought of being able to play a strategy game with GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN as my toon is extremely tempting.

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

It's... a bit of a mixed bag.

The space combat is pretty great, but the land combat is at best so-so. And the third faction for Forces Of Corruption really doesn't thrill me overall; the Corruption mechanic is really annoying for the other factions to deal with and gives them a huge power boost if left untouched. They're also a bit overpowered, in part because their fleet is pretty well stocked with weaponry that bypasses shields, which the other factions mostly only have on their bomber wings.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.