Lipstick, Gatorade, and an iPod...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Lipstick, Gatorade, and an iPod...

Post by Crissa »

...So, how would you turn these three objects into a bomb?

You also may use blush, toothpaste, lotion, a can of soda, or any toiletry to complete your design. It must pass the sniffer tests, of course.

-Crissa
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: Lipstick, Gatorade, and an iPod...

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Here's the best I come up with in 2-3 minutes:

Use the toothpaste to polish the concave bottom of the soda can until it can focus sunlight (I'm assuming sunlight available in this exercise) to a pinpoint. This gives you ignition
A powerded blush containing rose oil (rosa damascena) should be flammable and then all you need to do is disburse the powder into the air and add ignition to get an explosion.

Of course, the last chemistry course I had was 18 years ago, so I'm sure someone here can do better.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: Lipstick, Gatorade, and an iPod...

Post by Josh_Kablack »

How does dental floss burn ? Could you make a "candle" by running floss through beeswax-based lipstick to work as a fuse?

Probably of no help, but Gatorade does contain Citric Acid, which means that you can get the science fair volcano reaction going with a little Sodium Bicarbonate (ie a roll of TUMS). Somehow, I don't see creating a bunch of CO2 bubbles as particularily helpful.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: What about my wang?

Post by Josh_Kablack »

It's not available yet, but soon Europeans will be able to buy Condoms containing nitroglycerin :freakedout:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, if you want to cheat, you can fill the lipstick with a stable oxidator and the bottle with any sort of fuel, use the iPod to do a programmed count down to a spark.

But really, the amount of explosive you can put together in a bottle isn't enough to destroy an airliner, and it's stupid to think that a simple seach of the cabin couldn't discover it.

The whole thing is dumb.

-Crissa

Yes, beeswax floss will carry a flame, but remember, in our world:[*]The 'shoe' bomber was Al Queda[*]He had a firework fuse and some C4

Let's not forget that even if it was C4 (which needs an electric shock to start), the amount wasn't enough to do anything but maim him. And Al Queda didn't give him any money, or the C4. In fact, they kicked him out.
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

Hi, Mr. Homeland Security Man!

Crissa, you don't need to destroy the whole airliner to actually take it down. If it's in the middle of the Atlantic, all you need's a sufficiently good-sized hole in the hull. My bet is that that much explosive power could probably be packed into a bottle of Gatorade.

But what do I know? I dropped my only chemistry class at the beginning of my high school junior year… nearly twenty years ago.

But I don't discount the ingenuity of terrorists armed with common items (e.g. boxcutters).
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

RE

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
This is very inappropriate.
[/TGFBS]