Shadowrun 4e newbie questions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And the lower mental stats of the Troll don't matter as much anymore, when the spirits highers ones take over as well.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Longes wrote: The reason I think troll is a better choice than an elf is because troll has better physical attributes, which will get even bigger when possessed by the Guardian Spirit.
Disagree, the troll has some physical attributes higher than the elf, but he has the worse ones.

Edit: Was thinking about resisting spells, when talking about using the lower Attribute.
Last edited by Korwin on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Speaking of Trolls, for awhile I came across this Awesome Tri-barrel Gun (From 3rd's Cannon Companion apparently). Made me wondering, WHAT is that gun (looks like Assault Cannon, fires like HMG), and how would one convert it into SR4A rulesets + Frank Houserules? Oh and yes, the guy's reaction at the back is also quite hilarious.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

That's a simple (H)MG. Artistic License.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

How hard would it be to After Sundown shadowrun?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It's a work in 'progress,' called Asymmetric Threat. But it has a long way to go and isn't moving quickly (if at all) these days.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

I didn't want to make a new thread, so lel necro.

I was wondering what contacts a Face would have. I imagine Faces live and die by their contacts, but I have no experience making or playing one, and as a samurai I usually stick to "guy who does my augs" and "guy who gets me guns".

Also, is it worthwhile to pick up the Linguistics adept power (learn any language at R1 after (10-Magic) hours of exposure and the Linguistics Expert Positive Quality (halve time to learn languages, +2 to the rating of all Language skills), just for the fluff benefit of being able to say I can speak to anyone?
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

You can get a similar fluff benefit using a datajack and knowsofts. If you're already getting cyberwear then that might be a cheaper option.

A pnemonic enhancer is another fairly cheap way to boost language skills, combining it with linguistics expert/linguitics might be particularly batty. I think you can get an effective language skill of 6 after 5 hours of exposure to a language.

All that said, I like the linguistics combo. Even if it doesn't come into play it's a great piece of character fluff.

Contacts vary widely and tend to need GM approval, but I'm happy to spitball a few:
* Reporter - leak secrets and pick up rumors
* Police Dispatch - get news about people, run plates
* Mid-level representatives in organized crime -- also good for news
* Depending on the GM, multiple fixers can make a lot of sense
* Any arms/cyber/magic dealers so that you can buy and sell stuff and directly leverage your big pile of negotiation without a fence taking a cut.
* Tamanous -- good at getting rid of contacts, doubles as cyber dealer

I can go on, but it probably depends a lot on what you want the character to be able to do.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Basically, I want to be the person who can make phone calls to get things done. When the gang needs emergency disguises or a safehouse, I'm the one who arranges things. When they need to sell or value stuff, they turn to me. When they fuck up, I guess I'll have to take one for the team with 25+ social dice.

To be honest, I've never played a face before, so besides pure mechanical considerations, I'm not sure how to handle it.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:I didn't want to make a new thread, so lel necro.

I was wondering what contacts a Face would have. I imagine Faces live and die by their contacts, but I have no experience making or playing one, and as a samurai I usually stick to "guy who does my augs" and "guy who gets me guns".

Also, is it worthwhile to pick up the Linguistics adept power (learn any language at R1 after (10-Magic) hours of exposure and the Linguistics Expert Positive Quality (halve time to learn languages, +2 to the rating of all Language skills), just for the fluff benefit of being able to say I can speak to anyone?
Linguistics is never worth it. Just get a datajack and some Linguasofts. Shadowrunners don't normally travel much around the world, due to their criminal status and loads of illegal gear. But when you do need to travel, or have to know some new language, just download a Linguasoft from future Steam.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Playing faces is tricky because a lot of your build points get devolved to the GM if you invest heavily in contacts. They're only as good as the GM lets them be. There are two tricks to making contacts sing. The first is picking contacts that the GM thinks are cool or powerful. The second is pre-negotiating so that the GM agrees what the contacts can do. The easiest way to do that pre-negotiation is to offer to help write the back stories of your own contacts, this eases the GMs preparation load, and writing a paragraph about each of them lets you spell out what you think their abilities should be.

For instance, I was building a face/rigger who specialized in surveillance stuff and private eyeing. When writing up his contacts I needed some gangers to reflect his backstory, but by specifying where they came from, Redmond Barrens, and what they did now, wrenched at a chop shop for drug smugglers, the contact became much more useful. Now I can assert that this contact should know things about the drug trade, and should be able to buy used car parts, and the GM should be on board. The GM was also oddly enthusiastic about drug smuggling, so he let the contact punch above his weight in terms of connection rating.

You can use this technique to achieve the design goal of making phone calls to get things done. Start with a list of things you want to get done, then find the spanning tree of contacts that covers those things. For instance, if your list was "dispose of bodies," "buy and sell cyberware," "have safehouse no one wants to get near," then you might pick a tamanous ganger. Finding contacts like that, who have a little intersectionality, helps squeeze the value out of your build points.

I find that contact loyalty doesn't come up that often if you're smart about using them, don't over invest in that unless it's for back story purposes or it's the guy who runs your safehouse. It takes a pretty diligent GM to hose you over on a low loyalty rating from the guy who sold you guns. Though the story writes itself (the contact passes ballistics data to KE) the GM has to remember that the contact is low loyalty and has to engineer a situation where it comes up. Most forget to do so.

Finally, don't skimp on your own character for the sake of contacts. When you buy contacts you're handing BP to the GM, so be sure to build a character that controls everything you want to control first. i.e.: make sure you throw about 14 dice for negotiation.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

I find that contact loyalty doesn't come up that often if you're smart about using them, don't over invest in that unless it's for back story purposes or it's the guy who runs your safehouse. It takes a pretty diligent GM to hose you over on a low loyalty rating from the guy who sold you guns. Though the story writes itself (the contact passes ballistics data to KE) the GM has to remember that the contact is low loyalty and has to engineer a situation where it comes up. Most forget to do so.
I'm big on loyalty (Scorpion maxim: "Without it, all other virtues serve your enemy"), but I figure not everyone needs to be a Friend For Life.
Finally, don't skimp on your own character for the sake of contacts. When you buy contacts you're handing BP to the GM, so be sure to build a character that controls everything you want to control first. i.e.: make sure you throw about 14 dice for negotiation.
Apparently my group is a low-system-mastery one, because my first draft could apparently fight better than the fight adept and the Sam (I have 11d for a basic punch and 16+d for gymnastic full dodges and 3 IPs), and I throw more social dice than everyone else in the team combined (30+).

So I had to throw out a lot of stuff, and even then, just by soft-maxing Charisma/skills/etc, I can still throw out about 20+ dice.

Oh well. The group seems pretty nice, so I do what I must.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Asymmetric Threat is like many other Frank projects -- it's got an incredibly ambitious design proposal which demands pioneering multiple never-before-seen types of mechanics. It basically can't crib anything from anywhere else in the industry and would really require a dedicated team to put together in anything like a reasonable period of time.

No, I'm talking what if you literally just hacked the Shadowrun setting more or less as-is into a system with 6 stats, ~21 skills, and selectable powers grouped by discipline and by basic/advanced groupings.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I know Physical Mask can fool tech sensors, but what about wifi signals? Can it mimic/hide a PAN? Can you accept ping requests on your illusory deck?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

Orion wrote:Asymmetric Threat is like many other Frank projects -- it's got an incredibly ambitious design proposal which demands pioneering multiple never-before-seen types of mechanics. It basically can't crib anything from anywhere else in the industry and would really require a dedicated team to put together in anything like a reasonable period of time.

No, I'm talking what if you literally just hacked the Shadowrun setting more or less as-is into a system with 6 stats, ~21 skills, and selectable powers grouped by discipline and by basic/advanced groupings.
Why 6 stats? seems like you could do Physical/Social/Mystic, maybe tack on some specializations for each one via keyword, skills/powers and blammo.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Aryxbez wrote:Speaking of Trolls, for awhile I came across this Awesome Tri-barrel Gun (From 3rd's Cannon Companion apparently). Made me wondering, WHAT is that gun (looks like Assault Cannon, fires like HMG), and how would one convert it into SR4A rulesets + Frank Houserules? Oh and yes, the guy's reaction at the back is also quite hilarious.
In Warhammer 40k terms we'd call that a "heavy stubber".

Just an HMG.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'm guessing it's just a triple barreled HMG. One firing mechanism, three barrels to spread out the heat so they don't melt. Same principle as a minigun.

Standard HMG, but with higher rate of fire.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

This isn't exactly a rules question, but I just got one of the alternate endings for Dragonfall and now I'm curious: could metahumanity fight the Horrors as they are now (2072)?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:This isn't exactly a rules question, but I just got one of the alternate endings for Dragonfall and now I'm curious: could metahumanity fight the Horrors as they are now (2072)?
The answer to that is complicated, because Earthdawn doesn't really work as the prequel to Shadowrun. All kinds of shit happens in Earthdawn like the invention of steel, stout, and the crossbow, that are like several thousand years too early if it's actually supposed to be Shadowrun's 4th age. So any and all things from Earthdawn, where the Horrors are actually written up, are totally non-canon in Shadowrun. So you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

That being said, the Horrors easily overwhelmed a low tech, low population, low magic world and took some losses doing it. The numbers on the super mega horrors are way out of scale with what a "pretty good swordsman" can pull off in Earthdawn, but are well into the realm of "we shoot it and it dies" for naval vessels in Shadowrun.

The question is not whether the Horrors can beat "all of Metahumanity," because they fucking can't. The question is whether they could overwhelm the Ukraine.

-Username17
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Good point, ED's setting was pretty much limited to... the Caucasus Mountains and thereabouts?

I also dug up an old Dumpshock thread while I was looking, it seemed relevant. I notice that you referred to troll bones on Mars; what exactly is this referring to?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Good point, ED's setting was pretty much limited to... the Caucasus Mountains and thereabouts?

I also dug up an old Dumpshock thread while I was looking, it seemed relevant. I notice that you referred to troll bones on Mars; what exactly is this referring to?
There is a really weird set of adventures involving tracking down some fake UFO footage from Dunkelzahn's will. It has to do with the first Mars mission in Shadowrun, which got the MIB coverup treatment. They found troll bones. On Mars. That's as far down as that rabbit hole goes, MCs are told to spin their conspiracy theories or whatever. It was a FASA plotline that never went anywhere. We could talk about what it might mean that there was explicitly at least one dead metahuman on Mars - star gates, time travel, 4th age interplanetary travel, alien abductions, whatever. But the fact is that the plotline never went anywhere. The current bunch of yahoos at Catalyst don't even know that Shadowrun's future has space stations and Mars colonies in it.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

They actually went a bit further than that too:
SOME - note, not all - of these pictures have been, in universe, proven to be fakes . . so technically, the non fake ones are in universe still true . . untrill proven fake, which simply won't happen anymore . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Stahlseele wrote:They actually went a bit further than that too:
SOME - note, not all - of these pictures have been, in universe, proven to be fakes . . so technically, the non fake ones are in universe still true . . untrill proven fake, which simply won't happen anymore . .
Nah, the troll skeleton on Mars is the end of that chain. The beginning is some fake UFOs on Mars pictures. In the final bit, you even get to get your hands on some of the bones, for all the good that'll do you.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

ok, that is . . even more dumb than i thought . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

That's some freaky-ass shit.

Also, is it true that by the Script Kiddie assessment of SR hacking, that all I need to be a good hacker is to throw lots of nuyen at commlinks and software?