Give me a system

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

WPharolin
1st Level

Post by WPharolin »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a player hell bent on playing Jorah Mormont as the Doctors first companion so it looks like I'm starting in Westeros. I'm gonna show this thread to the player who asked me to run this and see what he thinks. The whole point of this was that each player in my group got to pick a "dream game" and then someone else would run it. So he should really decide. Regardless, I need to add Aye, Dark Overlord to "shit I need to try" pile.

Since I've got your attention, is anyone aware of a decent set of rules for playing a mecha pilot? Less Godannar and more Mobile Suit Gundam?
Prak wrote:Also, plot idea The Doctor tracks the Vashta Nerada to a small town in the Southern US, where an old house has gotten a reputation for being haunted due to their presence. Sam and Dean Winchester catch wind and figure it'll be a cakewalk like the haunts they busted up in the old days. Cue the Doctor, his companion, the Winchesters and Cas meeting up in the house when the doors lock.
Inspired by this.

If you're feeling cheeky, you could throw John Constantine in too, for a "hey, I have one of those" scene about the psychic paper/Constantine's magicked paper.
Nice. I'll be stealing that.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Eh... no, I don't know a good system for mecha. Honestly, I would just treat it like wearing really big armour and wielding really big weapons, except with no size induced penalties.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Prak wrote:What the fuck is Fate Accelerated Edition?
http://www.hoarde.net/bigredcouch/?page_id=695
Review wrote:The most obvious difference is replacing Skills with Approaches, but still using them within the Four Actions/Four Outcomes framework from Fate Core (explored in more detail in our Fate Core review). The upshot is that what the character does is less mechanically important than how they do it. If we take the really basic example common to a huge number of roleplaying games that is A Gunfight, FAE doesn’t care how good the participants are with guns. FAE wants to know whether they are approaching the gunfight Cleverly, or Quickly? Sneakily or Carefully? The same question can be asked of anything else: you can be a physically weak wizard, but if you use arcane power to smash your problems then you’ll be using Forceful a lot. (Paging Harry Dresden to the white courtesy phone…).. This opens up the possibilities hugely, because at that point it doesn’t matter what the characters are or even the logic of how they might be able to accomplish something: the implication that they can and do is baked right into the basic concept.

FAE is practically designed for adapting other franchises for RPG play. The wider Fate Core community on Google+ is filled with examples, and the BRC Game Resources Page for Fate Accelerated contains examples from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Homestuck, Gravity Falls, Wreck-It Ralph, Kim Possible and Questionable Content.... Please check out this book. You won’t regret it and it’s really tiny. It’s a very quick, fun read and packs a hell of a punch.
Last edited by silva on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

TheFlatline, have you ever played Dark Overlord or at least have any after action reports to link to? That game sounds absolutely hilarious.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I have Aye, Dark Overlord, and have played it once. I think it would work best with people who are experienced roleplayers (or have acting or improv experience). The moment somebody hits the "I'm not a goblin"/"I'm shy"/"I don't know what to say in these kinds of games" wall, the game really really drags.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

That's too bad, I wonder if that could be fixed?
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I don't know, since that story aspect is so crucial to play. There are plenty of playthroughs on youtube if people wanted to get their own sense of it.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.