Micromanagement games that let you be a huge jackass.

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Well, Dungeon Keeper uses a combination of the two so I guess it kind of counts. While you can be a huge jerk to your minions, you don't actually get to see the part of crushing the good guys' homes. The intro and outro narrations for maps are amusing, though.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Yeah, the thing with Dungeon Keeper is that you always feel like you're on the defensive. While that's certainly in the spirit of fending off heroes raiding your evil lair, the lack of any feeling of conquest is really disappointing. Peter Molyneux strikes again.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Afterlife lets you create a religion where everyone goes to hell...and then you build the hell, leaving heaven empty.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That is fucking hilarious, AH, I need to tjeck that one out.

And I totally missed the like Dungeon Keeper bit, but yeah, it would benefit from a bunch of the missions putting you on the offensive. The "you have improved this land with fire and famine" speech would make a lot more sense that way.

Also, holy shit, I saw the video for the Warlock in DK2. It is the CompArcane Warlock. WotC must have been playing it, then decided to draw precisely that creature as the iconic Warlock.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Afterlife is a good concept, but in execution it's impossible...it's basically a Sim City clone where you can build Heaven and Hell, and influence the planet to improve technology and influence religion in different directions. In practice, however, I never managed to break even building an afterlife, and it always ended when I invoked an apocalypse or two to destroy everything I'd built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_%28video_game%29
Last edited by Ancient History on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm just bumping this thread again to see if anyone discovered or remembered any more games since the last post. I want conquest and misery and EVIL, dammit.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Overlord?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I assume you're aware that That Which Sleeps is in the works (there's a thread below). Now it has the graphics (or lack thereof) of Dom 3, but is specifically "You are an elder god of cosmic horror that needs to send the entire world into ruin, go make that happen".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Well, Crusader Kings 2 just got the Charlemagne expansion. I'm sure it comes with more dickish moves available.

And I'm replaying Stalker Misery right now. While not as assertive in its tyranny as other games cited, its survival aspect guarantees sooner or later you will be tempted to start shooting fellow stalkers in the back for food and supplies. Besides that, he game has factions you can join, one of which is an explicit criminal network that allows you to make the miserable lives of fellow stalkers even more miserable by taking "protection" fees and making ocasional raids on innocent settlements.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

I've recently published the alpha of my mod for Crusader Kings 2 where you play the Evil Dark Lord, Emperor of Evil. You kidnap princesses, build dungeons to lure adventurers and kill them with traps and monsters (or taverns so that they lose their time doing pointless quests), corrupt lords and unleash your evil army of monsters on the world.

A very early alpha build is available here. It lacks a lot of polish, but it has the base mechanics.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Cool Blade, Ill take a look at it as soon as I get home.

By the way, did the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 ever got finished ? I remember playing an early version and finding it interesting.
Last edited by silva on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Not sure if it was roller coaster or theme park tycoon, but in one of the two, you could build hillarious death traps that threw people out of cour borders and so their death did not impact you at all. Bonus points for throwing them into the neighbours space so he would have to deal with the death all around while you profit from their happiness about one hell of a ride.

and which game was that where you as a god had the giant pet animal that you could make into a psychopathic monstrosity and still benefit from it? black and white?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I remember reading about someone's adventures in an amusement park simulator where they made a roller-coaster that launched the carriages into a competing park, which got all the negative response from 'having people die on their property,' leading to increased attendance at his park, leading to more people riding 'The Ballistic Arc,' and so on...
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Oh, right, i overread that one <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:and which game was that where you as a god had the giant pet animal that you could make into a psychopathic monstrosity and still benefit from it? black and white?
Yes, Black and White.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I pine for a better Black and White game. Raining hellfire down on terrified villagers until they come groveling to worship you feels evil as Hell, but the village management and interface is a nightmare. The climax of your scheming is spectacularly well done, but the build-up is frustrating and pretty much ruins the whole experience.