African, Arabic, Chinese, other cultural settings and legend

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Surgo
Duke

African, Arabic, Chinese, other cultural settings and legend

Post by Surgo »

All the talk (and disgust) about Nyambe: African Adventures made me a bit interested. Are there currently settings, published or semi-published, that fall outside the standard, done-to-death "medieval Europe" (it might not be that way, but you know what I mean) or pseudo-Japanese-influenced setting? I've heard of Al Qadim, but I don't know how faithful this is to 'real' Arabic legends/mythology.*

It seems to me that there's a real dearth of settings outside of the genre I mentoned above, and that there's great potential for some really awesome stuff in the legends and mythologies of places that we're actively ignoring, like the ones mentioned in the topic's title and many more.

* To speak of an "Arabic" mythology is probably a misnomer anyway as there surely are arrays of individual mythologies from various Arabic countries anyway, that region is quite large. The stuff you'll find in the Bible falls under the aegis of Arabic legends, for instance.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Re: African, Arabic, Chinese, other cultural settings and le

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It's worth reading the old Larry Niven/Steven Barnes 'Dream Park' novels if you can find them. The first one uses New Guinea 'cargo cult' mythology, the second one uses Inuit mythology, and the third one uses Voodoo (chiefly Haitian with African elements); each in an RPG context.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Al Qadim is just a part of the Forgotten Realms where people dress like arabs. It seemed a lot cooler to me when I was 13 than when I go back and look at it now. Maztica is even more dumb.

But that's as may be. The basic answer to your question is that essentially all D&D settings are basically a combination of Tolkien and Ninja Scroll with or without some of the serial numbers having been rubbed off so that one or more group wears name badges which insist that they are from a different culture.

If you want other settings, really different settings, you need to go outside D&D altogether. Hell, even Planescape has basic Tolkien-Euro-Stylings on everything even though it's nominally an infinite worlds setting.

I mean you have just plain weird stuff like Tékumel. Empire of the Petal Throne is in fact not based on Tolkienian stuff. It has the problem of being written as early 70s fantasy, which means that it has secret relic space ships from long ago and shit - like the old X modules for D&D. I honestly haven't checked the 2005 Guardians of Order version.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

A Mike Mignola/Neil Gaiman setting would be interesting.

10% brutal combat/SoD abuse, 80% talk, 10% stand around looking cool. Or thinking you look cool (stupid, stupid Dream... heh)
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

But Frank, what'd you mention as a genuinely non-euro(/nipo/sino)centric game, after all? I don't recall any, and know there's none in the Brazilian market*. :(

*: except for a lovely piece of political satire. Unfortunately, it of course isn't as satirical as it should.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yano, eliminating Modern, European, and Asian game settings kinda eliminates 90% of the gaming population.

Just because I grew up with Native American stories doesn't mean I have a clue how to make them into roleplaying games worth playing. And I figure that goes for the majority of gamers, so... That leaves precious few who'd write about something 'else'.

-Crissa
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

That explains why barely anything is written, but it would hardly eliminate the gaming population. As with anything else the idea is that you can pick up the setting book/article, read it, and understand the setting. Just like any other setting.

Of course, you're absolutely correct about there being few writers for that. Hence why it seems like an awfully unexplored area with a lot of potential.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think there's one other reason why there's a serious lack of non-euro/tolkein rpgs...

the ever present concern of being not-pc...

I remember reading an editorial in dragon from one of the creators of Al Quadim worrying about calling it that, and worrying about whether or not he'd piss off the arabs.

even though 30 years later they're all pissed off at one thing or another anyway...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yes, well, they're not much for remembering their own mythology. Strict Islamic adherence forbids representations of fictional people or making art that has faces or figures in it.

Which is a serious bummer.

Other religions and cultures have taboos that lead to the same problem.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, islamic myth isn't the arab world I'd want to play in anyway, I'd much rather play in pre-islamic arabia. They can keep muhammed faceless and threaten danish cartoonists, I want my djnn and desert demons.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I want to do a game in a setting geographically and architecturally inspired by the Arabian Peninsula. Plantations of date palms, onion-domed mosques and palaces, lots of camels. I'll focusing on the Red Sea coast near my Mecca stand-in.

But I'm not sure how closely I should stick to modelling actual Islam. I know I want spirits of smokeless fire to be a thing, but I want a range of more primitive flame elementals in addition to Jinn. It'd probably also be a good idea to make society more egalitarian.

Any advice on particular time periods to draw inspiration from, or general cultural changes that would be good for the game?
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

Al Qadim was kind of radical in its time in a lot of ways and you can see where the game was constrained by the sacred cows of D&D. It definitely owed much of its inspiration to Hollywood movies, but there was definitely a shit ton of not racism to be found in the game.

There were still elves and dwarves and gnomes and halflings, but there wasn't inherent racism against the humanoid races. You could encounter goblins and gnolls in cities and they weren't inherently evil. I dropped all the standard races and replaced them with magic-crafter goblins, nomadic hyena-like gnolls, ogres. There were more but that was a long time ago.

Al Qadim had two dominate monocultures. The nomads and the urban population. They were dependent on one another, but had distinctly different value systems. Not being part of those cultures or recognizing the pantheon made you an outsider or monster.

It's been a while, but religion was handled quite differently then any other D&D product before it. The game tried to create a sudo pre-muslim polytheism. Clerics were defined by their personal relationship to the pantheon(s), so you were either an Ethoist, a Moralist, or a Fundamentalist. I forget the mechanical differences.

The magic system was a little wacked. So much effort to divide spells by elemental influence instead of the traditional schools, but if Water spells don't include some kind of healing your dichotomy isn't going to fly with me. Then again, you could play the sha'ir which was an awesome magic-user kit with a pet djinni that fetched spells from other planes at your behest. It was harder to get a divine spell, but it was possible. Eventually you could enslave major djinn, planar travel, or even request an audience with the grand vizier in the City of Brass. It was a difficult and weak class compared to a mage with a full complement of spells, so you had to be tricksy which was a major thematic element of the kit.

There were rules for making clockwork harryhausen automata too.
Last edited by Harshax on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

If I have the time, I create a list of setting must-haves, then use that to frame a system's cosmology, then foundational creation story, then theological interpretations, then cultural interpretations. The process usually affords a solid principles-first approach to settings that's abstract enough to generate new things but undergirded enough to be constrained into predictable bounds.

You want an egalitarian society and fire elementals. Okay, that probably means prominent heroes/gods divorced from orthodox gender norms, and a land where an all-powerful god created all living things and a collection of spirits to watch over them.

I think you don't need a large amount of legwork like I spelled out in the initial paragraph. Start from a historic period's Islam, read some Wikipedia, and pick out some high points. Gender-swap about half of the names you run across and really boil things down to whatever you read that grabs you.

I think that historical modeling leads to fun games. Wikipedia and its external references and links are a great resource for campaigns; I think the best advice is to not only distill out whatever you think are high points, but to actively resist the idea that things have to conform to history. Making up "just so" stories that hit whatever historical adjustments you want (like egalitarianism/gender-swapping) as well as incorporate the high points you've picked out (tribal allegiance in the face of religious calls for peace and unanimity as a plot point and six other Big Ideas) is sufficient; no need to keep going back to the well of history for more detail when you can probably link stuff together on your own well enough to keep an RPG interesting.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

How to implement a Far East setting:

-Talk about honor a lot
-Ritual suicide is a thing
-Some NPC (or PC even) is descended from a dragon
-Have a scene where you walk through a bamboo grove and then when the fight occurs describe a blade cutting the bamboo behind its target that just dodged

How to implement a Middle East setting:
-Scimitars
-Genies
-At least one plot hook involving a greedy merchant
-A scene where you are glad to find an oasis after almost dying in the desert
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Depends on what time period you want to play in.
South America with the Aztecs and others has such a rich culturual background that you'd be pretty hard pressed to not find something awesome in there, if you are not playing in modern times.

Egypt is classically boring, but at least people usually have more of an inkling about that than about south america . .

North America with the native americans and their folklore of their spirits, the different tribes etc. would also make for such a rich environment, but people are unlikely to want to play the other side in cowboys and indians i guess?

How about Greece for example? It probably has the "best known" mythology.

Germanic/northern Europe with the Wikings and their Pantheon of Gods and mythological Monsters and Trolls and Dorfs is closer to what most people expect Fantasy to be like i guess, but it is not just knights and castles and shit.

What about Rome? Join the Legion, see exotic places and try to conquer them!

Scotland, Ireland and Britain?
Before the Romans that is?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

Prak wrote:well, islamic myth isn't the arab world I'd want to play in anyway, I'd much rather play in pre-islamic arabia. They can keep muhammed faceless and threaten danish cartoonists, I want my djnn and desert demons.
That's not pre-Islamic. Not exclusively anyway, Jinn are mentioned in the Quran and are a part of totally mainstream Islam pretty much everywhere.
Crissa wrote:Yano, eliminating Modern, European, and Asian game settings kinda eliminates 90% of the gaming population.

Just because I grew up with Native American stories doesn't mean I have a clue how to make them into roleplaying games worth playing. And I figure that goes for the majority of gamers, so... That leaves precious few who'd write about something 'else'.

-Crissa
I feel the same way about Islamic mythology. It seems ripe for picking ideas out of, but I've never had much motivation to do so, aside from the occasional influence, nor do I know would to do that in any not crappy way.

---------

As an aside, I've never read Al-Qadim. But for years I read it as though that was a short I in the name, meaning something like "the approaching." The approaching what? That was a name that was intriguing. Then I found out it was supposed to be Al-Qadeem, which means something like the ancient, and then the setting suddenly sounded a million times more boring.
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

Apparently this is an ancient thread resurrected, great :p
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I get the feeling that Islam is the monotheistic religion with the strongest ties to it's polytheistic origin, possibly because it was more of "Ok you fuckers, the moon god has told me to stop worshipping everyone else because he's the one true god, and I'm his chosen profit, so get on board or get dying," than "Ok, so there's new god who talked to me while I was out in the desert dying of dehydration. He totally saved me, guys! We should worship him."

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Yeah, I get the feeling that Islam is the monotheistic religion with the strongest ties to it's polytheistic origin, possibly because it was more of "Ok you fuckers, the moon god has told me to stop worshipping everyone else because he's the one true god, and I'm his chosen profit, so get on board or get dying," than "Ok, so there's new god who talked to me while I was out in the desert dying of dehydration. He totally saved me, guys! We should worship him."
Except for that is exactly the fucking origin of Judaism and thus Christianity.

You might be confusing time wince origin with actual origin.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Prak just f.y.i the whole "Muslims actually worship the moon god" thing is a meme associated batshit insane Christians like Jack Chick, so tread carefully with that.
Last edited by Mistborn on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fair on both counts. I learned the moon god origin thing in a class on religion and mythology. Which is not to say it's actually correct, but I tend to forget it's also a thing batshit christians say.

Edit: I also just fucking flatout forgot that Judaism was started by one of the like 13 tribes saying to the others "Hey, our dude is totes legit. Worship him." Because I'm an idiot.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Islam is a mashup of 7th century arabian peninsula folk religion with a greatest hits versions of (7th century) judiasm and christianity. It was helped along by being a not the religion of the peoples who had previously been in the Roman empire as even 2 centuries after the collapse of the western empire Rome was not popular with on the peninsula. In many ways Islam is like a 5 century old version of Mormonism.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

What's essential for understanding Islam, is that it's a practical religion. One of its intents was regulating everyday lives. The coran is among other things a code of law. There's stuff about regulating property boundaries, etc.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk kickstarter is up now. The game setting seems based on persian myths and legends:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... f-ur-turuk
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

zugschef wrote:What's essential for understanding Islam, is that it's a practical religion. One of its intents was regulating everyday lives. The coran is among other things a code of law. There's stuff about regulating property boundaries, etc.
[insert obligatory insult] All non-newage religions intend to regulate everyday lives of at least their adherents and frequently of everyone else. It's just that historical accident and geopolitical peculiarities made it so that many current theocracies happen to be Islamic. The reason why a convicted rapist in the US has to go to secular prison and doesn't have the option to pay $300 and marry the victim isn't because rape laws are not in the Bible (they are), it's because the US is not a theocracy (yet).