Tome humans and scaling feats?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Tome humans and scaling feats?

Post by radthemad4 »

A bonus scaling feat is a big deal in Tome. Should humans only be allowed to take regular feats as their bonus? Or alternatively, what if all races start with two scaling feats and humans get a regular bonus feat in addition (with the option of swapping it out if they take a scaling feat later that makes it redundant)?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Even if humans are allowed to take a scaling feat as a bonus feat, my players almost never play as humans. Because of how much legacy stuff has been layered into Tome, I wouldn't worry about the option being too strong unless it's actually causing trouble, otherwise you'll end up using way too much effort for not much gain.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

At low level, a scaling feat only gives you basically the value of feat or two. That's no big deal.

At higher level, there is so much other crazy stuff going on, the benefits of the bonus scaling feat are generally not so crazy at the margin.

So it doesn't really matter.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yeah, in my experience it just makes Human a competitive choice.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Lokathor wrote:Because of how much legacy stuff has been layered into Tome, I wouldn't worry about the option being too strong unless it's actually causing trouble, otherwise you'll end up using way too much effort for not much gain.
Yeah, picking non tome feats is a lot of dumpster diving and having to wade through tons of crap was one of the things Tome sought to fix.
infected slut princess wrote:At low level, a scaling feat only gives you basically the value of feat or two. That's no big deal.

At higher level, there is so much other crazy stuff going on, the benefits of the bonus scaling feat are generally not so crazy at the margin.

So it doesn't really matter.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Yeah, in my experience it just makes Human a competitive choice.
Yeah, I overestimated how powerful it is.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.