Let's talk design- magical girl RPGs

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:Kill La Kill would be more of a "pick a derpy theme. ANYTHING WILL DO. That is now your gimmick, so pick a suite of related powers." And would be full of high-impact fights. If you're letting the players all have Sanketsu-level godrobes, then yes, it's also winner-takes-all with the players mugging other people for their magical clothes for a power up.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Old-school magical girl genre emulation would mostly be slice-of-life helping people out shit, so you'd need a robust social system. If you want something like Cutey Honey or most post-Sailor Moon magical girl anime, then the question does really come down to why you wouldn't want to be inclusive and run capes. Because like Frank said, those magical girls are capes that travel in all-girl or mixed gender groups, which already has cultural cachet in cape comics above and beyond magical girls.

If you want to shake that, you need to take one of the funky settings, like Nanoha, Madoka, Saint Tail or Tweeny Witches/LWA and flesh it out. Urban Fantasy/Sentai with questionably pubescent girls just isn't really a thing a lot of people want to play. But people will play high magic science-fantasy, urban fantasy horror, heist games or Hogwarts with the name filed off.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

So, here's my own short list of key differences between Magical Girl Anime and Superhero Comics:
  • The age and gender of the characters with powers
  • The inclusion of a flashy transformation sequence that triggers each episode
  • The inclusion of both social struggles in everyday settings and superpowered combat each episode - hence the need to separate them by a transformation sequence
  • A greater tendency for the protagonists in group shows to know and befriend each other in their secret school girl identities first. In comics it tends to work the other way around, with characters first meeting as superheroes and only later revealing or deducing each other's civilian identities.

Do those sound about right? Am I stretching here? Am I missing any big ones?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Shoot enemies with lasers a few times. Show them the power of love and friendship. Victory.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

To go off what ISP said, there's more of a chance that one of the antagonists will become a protagonist. Outside of the Suicide Squad and stuff like that, you don't see that with capes.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Mask_De_H wrote:To go off what ISP said, there's more of a chance that one of the antagonists will become a protagonist. Outside of the Suicide Squad and stuff like that, you don't see that with capes.
Well, Wolverine, the Punisher and Deadpool all started out as antogonists, and there was the whole Thunderbolts series, but yeah its a lot less common in western superhero comics.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
  • The age and gender of the characters with powers
  • The inclusion of a flashy transformation sequence that triggers each episode
  • The inclusion of both social struggles in everyday settings and superpowered combat each episode - hence the need to separate them by a transformation sequence
  • A greater tendency for the protagonists in group shows to know and befriend each other in their secret school girl identities first. In comics it tends to work the other way around, with characters first meeting as superheroes and only later revealing or deducing each other's civilian identities.
The first and last of those, of course, probably don't want special rules.

Thus, mechanically:
  • All characters have the ability to change in and out of your costume instantly. (Easy)
  • The game must have a good system for social interactions with NPCs. ( :lol:, like that will ever happen)