Don't fvcking link images from somethingawful.com

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Don't fvcking link images from somethingawful.com

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Apperantly, they didn't take kindly to people linking to their images.

So, keeping in character, they redirected all the links to images with a pic of a naked, obese woman, a lot of profanity directed at the person linking the image, and the message "Don't leech our images".

So, now I'm in the unique position of breaking the CoC on about 5 different message boards that I linked to images from somethingawful.com.

It's hilarious, assuming I can get out of getting banned. I've notified the proper moderators about what's going on, hopefully I won't get banned from anything, I'm sure people will see the humor in this.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Re: Don't fvcking link images from somethingawful.com

Post by fbmf »

[TGFBS]
No worries, Arioch. Not your fault.

But the warning stands, folks. No more links to somethingawful.com.

Thank you.
[/TGFBS]
Alhadis
NPC

Post by Alhadis »

I just noticed this, thanks to this thread. Thanks for the heads-up, Count. :-) I'll admit it's disgusting and offensive to many people, but it's nonetheless ingenious (I've been ambushed with disgusting images so many times in the past, I've kinda grown de-sensitized to that kinda crap. :bored: Know how many times I've clicked on a hyperlink to a supposedly legitimate image to find it linked to that sodding TubGirl.jpeg? :flames: Damn you, TinyUrl.com. >_<.) But still, it's a sure-fire way to ensure people don't steal their bandwidth. ;-_-; Everybody revolt by using image uploading services to spread their content! XP
Alhadis
NPC

Post by Alhadis »

I found a solution, which I've already enforced at Fluid Fantasy, and hopefully Nifty as well. ^_~; Simply set the profanity filter to edit out the URL addresses of SomethingAwful.com's two main image servers:

i.somethingawful.com
images.somethingawful.com

It'll break the image URLs for any image posted from SomethingAwful.com around these boards (if any), leaving an ugly red-X instead of an even uglier obese naked lady. :bored: Works like a charm. ^_~;
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Eh, now that I am officially not going to catch any shit for it, I think it's funny.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Alhadis at [unixtime wrote:1116406605[/unixtime]]I found a solution, which I've already enforced at Fluid Fantasy, and hopefully Nifty as well. ^_~; Simply set the profanity filter to edit out the URL addresses of SomethingAwful.com's two main image servers:

i.somethingawful.com
images.somethingawful.com

It'll break the image URLs for any image posted from SomethingAwful.com around these boards (if any), leaving an ugly red-X instead of an even uglier obese naked lady. :bored: Works like a charm. ^_~;

At Nifty, Arioch was kind enough to remove the images he could find. A quick search turned up only about a dozen or so remaining images on the board. I see no need to filter it; if we find an old picture that I missed, we'll remove it. If we find a new picture, we'll remove it and handle it accordingly.

I thought it was amusing - even if it did create about an hour or so worth of work for me.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Z wrote:
I thought it was amusing - even if it did create about an hour or so worth of work for me.

I'm with you on that, Z. I don't think there are any images here from SA, but if there are I'll edit them if/when they come up.

Game on,
fbmf
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm pretty sure that it won't come up now, when they see that the image wasn't what the intended, they'll edit it right quick.
Boulie_98
Journeyman

Post by Boulie_98 »

This isn't new, I had this happen like two years ago in the CoF. Only it was a shemale then.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

It's news to me though.
Boulie_98
Journeyman

Post by Boulie_98 »

I know I was really surprised they allowed linking for quite some time; I kinda figured they simply changed their policy.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Probably to get a new crop of people linking their stuff only to deny them.

Either that or they change their links periodically, maybe it's not a filter per se, but they jut change teh image names, and link the old image names to the offensive image.