It's a way of life!

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

It's a way of life!

Post by Username17 »

T. Rex wrote: The "Straw Man" fallacy isn't so much a fallacy as it is a way of life!
In this fallacy, you present an altered version of your opponent's argument in order to make it appear absurd! You then tear apart this weaker, ridiculous argument and claim victory. Basically it can be summarized as "make stuff up and attribute it to your opponent"! Haha! EXCELLENT.

www.qwantz.com

It's so much like the internet that it brings tears to the eyes.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Re: It's a way of life!

Post by MrWaeseL »

That's a cool comic. I like the ones with the devil best myself.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Is this the proper place for me to point out that almost everyone I have ever seen on the internet who accuses someone else of using the straw man fallacy actually tends to be the one using the straw man fallacy?

It's almost as if people dumb enough to defend their argument by improperly chanting "straw man, straw maaaan" don't get the irony of doing that.

And don't anyone dare call this a straw man claim.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1113818087[/unixtime]]Is this the proper place for me to point out that almost everyone I have ever seen on the internet who accuses someone else of using the straw man fallacy actually tends to be the one using the straw man fallacy?

It's almost as if people dumb enough to defend their argument by improperly chanting "straw man, straw maaaan" don't get the irony of doing that.

And don't anyone dare call this a straw man claim.

Stra... Oh wait. No, that's been pretty much my experience too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I got in a straw man/counter straw man argument.

It was on the warcraft forums. Don't remember what the original topic was, but I called someone a paladin. Don't do that to a warcraft player, the term has differing connotations than it does in D&D.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

But withouut the straw man to kill, how will I ever win any aguments???

:disgusted: I've been tainted by the C.O. boards!!!

P.S.
I like the comic, thanks.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

All RPG arguments are based almost entirely on strawman arguments. The problem is that the core rules at their base are flawed. Therefore anytime someone says anything you can just bring up simulacrum abuse or some other crazy trick then have fun attacking the strawman. It doesn't even matter if it has anything to do wtih the argument.

It's just "simulacrum is broken therefore X" where X is anything you wanted to 'prove'. If you want to prove anything is balanced, you use a simulacrum wizard, a huling hurler or some other crazy combo. If you want to prove something is broken then you compare it to the core fighter.

D&D balance debates couldn't even exist without strawman.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Actual Event:

Ben wrote:But I'm turning into a chocolate fiend. Do you know what that can do to a man?

Frank wrote:Give you DR 5/Good?

It says something about my school that everyone at my table in the dining hall understood what that meant.

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

:lmao:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Oberoni
Knight

Post by Oberoni »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1113818087[/unixtime]]Is this the proper place for me to point out that almost everyone I have ever seen on the internet who accuses someone else of using the straw man fallacy actually tends to be the one using the straw man fallacy?

Sometimes I say that someone is using a strawman argument.

I usually mean something closer to "stop bullshitting us, you ass. You know what the hell I'm talking about, so try and be less stupid for just a second, bow down, and admit that you don't know what you're talking about."

However, most message board mods are much kinder to the "strawman" objection.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Oberoni wrote:Sometimes I say that someone is using a strawman argument.

I usually mean something closer to "stop bullshitting us, you ass. You know what the hell I'm talking about, so try and be less stupid for just a second, bow down, and admit that you don't know what you're talking about."

However, most message board mods are much kinder to the "strawman" objection.

Is that why I keep getting kicked off of them?

-Username17