Next FF Gamebook LP?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below FF books are you most interested to play?

Talisman of Death
40%
Daggers of Darkness
20%
The Keep of the Lich-Lord
20%
Stealer of Souls
No votes
Siege of Sardath
20%

Total votes: 5

SGamerz
King

Next FF Gamebook LP?

Post by SGamerz »

For those who hasn't yet been burned out by this.....which would you prefer next?

From the poll I ran quite some time back....there were 7 books in the poll. 2 of those I've already run. Out of the remaining, I'm taking out Sword of the Samurai and Midnight Rogue for the time being, since a few voters stated that they've played the books before. For any new players interested, you can refer to the last topic for the sypnosis of those books in the last poll:

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=55474

With the remaining 3 books (Keep of the Lich-Lord, Daggers of Darkness & Talisman of Death), I'm adding two more:

Book 34: The Stealer of Souls
"The name Mordraneth strikes fear into the hearts of all who dwell in Titan. Now he has found a way to unleash a magical army of fear upon the land. The wizard Aslander has been kidnapped and you must rescue him from the Isle of Despair. But will you also enter the Empire of Illusion, confront Mordraneth and save Titan?"
This is Keith Martin's first FF book, and it's pretty much a "back to basics", not just in terms of rules (standard FF, no special Skills of Stats, Spells, etc), but also in terms of premise and plot. Lots of dungeon-crawling in some uber-wizard's monster-filled lair. While it starts as a rescue mission, I don't think it'll be much of a spoiler to reveal that we'll be facing this Mordraneth at the end and try to kill him, too.

Like most of Martin's earlier books, though, it's pretty forgiving, not a lot of auto-deaths, and no real must-win quest items to find (although there are a lot of those that can make our quest easier). I wouldn't say one an win easily with 7/14/7 stats, it's still quite doable with average stats.

Book 49: Siege of Sardath
"For centuries the balance of the Forest of Night has been preserved by mankind and nature alike. Now a dark enemy has appeared to threaten the uneasy peace. Terrible creatures stalk the forest and the ancient Elf paths are closed. No news has come from the distant city of Sardath for weeks. In the isolated town of Grimmund, on the very edge of the looming forest, the townsfolk can bear it no longer. Some brave adventurer - YOU! - must journey into the Forest of Night, and beyond, to find the source of the evil and the way to defeat it!"
This is probably the most difficult book on this list, but the premise and settings are amongst the most interesting in this entire series, the new mechanisms are creative, and the endgame refreshingly does not involve combat with a super-stat monster or mage (or any combat whatsoever). Lots of hidden entries or puzzles, though. Doesn't quite match the scale of Creatures of Havoc, but comes close IMO (but doesn't have the annoying initial randomness that CoH did, either).

Who's game? ;)
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I voted for DoD, but I'm up for whichever gets picked.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I voted to see more action in the World of Orb but I, too, would really be glad with anything here.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Keep of the Lich-Lord and Seige of Sardath are the only ones I havn't played. I remember not being terribly impressed with Talisman of Death, but maybe it just went over my head at the time.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Talisman of Death is cool, but primitive. The PC is a modern person brought to Orb, and it has an explicit limited-save-point mechanic. It guest stars some minor villains from Way of the Tiger (that our LP skipped). It has at least four low-fantasy action set-pieces that I distinctly remember years later. But it doesn't have any special skills or anything, and it's very linear.

Siege of Sardath is really a mega-replay book. Decisions you make remarkably early can break your run much later on. You really do have to be willing to commit to several full play-throughs. But it is a very cool book.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Talisman of Death is the only one with more than 1 vote in the polls, so I'll go with that....and probably do either Daggers of Darkness or Siege of Sardath for my next FF LP, since there seem to be some interests in those as well.

Will get the new thread up today.