Turn Based Strategy for Noobs (Dom3 argument banned)

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

darkmaster wrote:
Manxome wrote:Also, my overall experience (at least on higher difficulties) has been that I can easily grow faster than the AIs, but I still get crushed if they decide to make a massive surprise attack against me before (roughly) the renaissance era. This is probably partly because I pathologically over-invest in growth at the cost of defenses, but I'm pretty sure a large chunk of it is that the higher difficulties give the AI players mostly starting bonuses instead of growth bonuses.
I think you're probably just bad at the game, because Civ 5's combat is super easy, the combat AI is entirely incompetent and literally all you have to do if you get caught with your pants down is cash rush a few units and proceed to destroy the entire attacking army.
I've done that many times, and it'll stop an opportunistic attack, but not a serious one. The computer sucks at maneuvering and you can exploit that to enormous advantage in small-scale fights, but if they launch a sustained offensive they're eventually going to reach your city and turn it into a numbers game. When the computer shows up suddenly with 12 units, gold-buying one or two defenders is not going to save you, especially if they have an edge in tech.

Having recently won on the highest difficulty level, I am reasonably confident that (1) the higher difficulty levels definitely revolve around giving the computers starting bonuses rather than growth bonuses (e.g. they've got 2, sometimes 3 cities when my scout first meets them 10-20 turns into the game), and (2) I can't be that bad at the game.

And I never said Civ 5 was better than Civ 4 for newbies, just that I personally enjoyed it more. I haven't played Civ 4 recently enough to even guess how they compare from a learning-curve perspective.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Okay, this is a mobile game and the graphics are insanely ugly... but everyone who has ever even remotely liked a deck building game should get Dream Quest.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Koumei wrote:If I wanted to Zerg Rush, I'd just play a Real-Time Strategy. Already I'm regretting the expenditure, but I'll just cheat like a motherfucker and start the game with assassins, succubi, void walkers and your mum.

So clearly I need to amend the search query: are there any games that fulfil the above criteria and reward you for settling down, exploring a bit for resources, developing your cities and making the best units rather than running ahead with Zerglings in the first three turns?
Was reminded of this comment recently while playing Pandora, which is clearly drawing inspiration from the Civilization series (particularly Alpha Centauri), but has much less pressure to build cities as fast as possible because population growth is on a global track rather than on a separate track for each city.

You do still want more cities eventually (partly for habitat space, partly for territory, and partly so you can build additional copies of buildings with population-independent effects). There's a clear phase when the AIs will start aggressively building cities on every tiny strip of unclaimed land anywhere on the planet, but that phase isn't until more than half-way through the game.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Civ5.
I usually win with no more than 4 cities because i tech up and simply roffle stomp everything with way OP units . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
K
King

Post by K »

I've been playing Invisible, Inc. It's a turn-based stealth strategy game.

It's in early access right now on Steam, so I'm not sure what the final product will look like, but it's pretty fun right now.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Is that the one which kickstarted as Incognito? That looked good at the time. I'm glad it turned into something playable.
K
King

Post by K »

Laertes wrote:Is that the one which kickstarted as Incognito? That looked good at the time. I'm glad it turned into something playable.
I think so. The cracking servers that you use to hack things are called Incognito.

I feel like it's how Shadowrun should have been made. The hacking feels a lot more of a natural part of a run instead of a separate mini-game.

I think I'm becoming a bigger fan of RPG/Rogue-like fusions where you do a lot of procedural generation of challenges.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I may be planning to pick up a 4X game to sink some hours into and Steam is pushing, among other things, Endless Legend in my face. Anyone know anything about how it is now, this long after it was released?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
K
King

Post by K »

MGuy wrote:I may be planning to pick up a 4X game to sink some hours into and Steam is pushing, among other things, Endless Legend in my face. Anyone know anything about how it is now, this long after it was released?
I've been playing it the whole time. My take on it is that it's a beautiful game that will start to bore you about 100-200 hours in. Whether you want to keep playing it depends on how you feel about the 4x genre in general.

It's a weird thing. Very beautiful games and games that are very replayable don't seem to intersect.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

150 hours or so seems like a worthy investment considering I get considerably less hours out of normal console games for 60 or so. What's good/bad about it in your opinion?
K
King

Post by K »

MGuy wrote:150 hours or so seems like a worthy investment considering I get considerably less hours out of normal console games for 60 or so. What's good/bad about it in your opinion?
I like that it's pretty, that the tech tree makes you want to skip over techs and not be a completionist, and that the quests can mix up your overall strategy.

The problems are that the tactical depth tends to bottom out pretty quickly, that the midgame and endgame tactics are basically the same as the beginning game, and that a stack of doom basically wins the game.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I asked a friend about it, it was on my "maybe" list and I saw he'd bought it. He said it's a good game, but mostly for multiplayer, so if you just want single-player it won't hold you for too long.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Koumei wrote:I asked a friend about it, it was on my "maybe" list and I saw he'd bought it. He said it's a good game, but mostly for multiplayer, so if you just want single-player it won't hold you for too long.
Single player is what I'm looking for. If it can't entertain me when I'm on my lonesome that'd be a deal breaker.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

It's not exactly fitting, but I recommend King's Bounty (2007). Scantily clad princess from the add-on aside, it's a very good rpg with Heroes of Might and Magic style battles.