On Yearblogs and DOGAS

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

LR
Knight

Post by LR »

Harshax wrote:I think to be true to Lovecraft, you have to accept that that Cthulhu is beyond the power of PCs to destroy. In fact, it would seem lots of mythos creatures are beyond harm.
Unless of course, the PCs have access to that dread artifact spoken of only in furtive whispers. That awful, sanity-gnawing implement that forces even the old ones back to their ancient tombs. I would not dare to speak its name if the need were not so very dire. So come close. I will only speak of it once, for fear of those who may be listening. Closer. Motorboat.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

LR wrote:Unless of course, the PCs have access to that dread artifact spoken of only in furtive whispers. That awful, sanity-gnawing implement that forces even the old ones back to their ancient tombs. I would not dare to speak its name if the need were not so very dire. So come close. I will only speak of it once, for fear of those who may be listening. Closer. Motorboat.
Yeah the idea that just having Cthulhu show up is "Zomg TPK" is dumb and needs to go. On the other hand having it be impossible to deal Cthulhu a permanent defeat is totally in genera. It totally fine to have Cthulhu ollie outie back to his house at r'lyeh to get his snooze on after the PC hit him with a steamboat, but ending his threat permanently is another thing. What Cthulhu and pals fundamentally represent is our fear of the unknown, our fear that we insignificant before the vastness of the universe. Giving Cthulhu a HP total sort of takes away from that.

On the other hand I can totally see the argument that Lovecraft has aged poorly, the part where people go mad from the revelation that they're actually part blackfishperson certainly has. I think that in the 21st century the "we are a speck in an uncaring cosmos" thing has sort of lost it's bite.