A Star Wars TTRPG worth playing.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Dean hasn't actually posted a single build (a paragraph description isn't a build)
Sorry, but "paragraph describing a build" is close enough to a build you monumentally dumb fuckwit.

Dean's first three "I can't believe its not builds!" are all "I make attacks" characters and it is saga edition so they WILL include shitty incremental "I make attacks" talents. The only interesting thing any of them do is get crazy equipment from an obscure splat book all of three people in the entire world probably even bought (and which certainly and decisively was NOT ever even stocked at local game stores in my area) after the massive disappointment of the core book. Pretending otherwise on some sort of insane technicality about what is or isn't explicitly mentioned is incredibly deceptive and stupid. He outlined builds that rely on those incremental shit bonuses, the things you build those characters out of in that system ARE incremental shitty bonuses, and he even explicitly mentions stacking similar incremental bonuses in one of the builds.

... is this going to be like that time on a prior Saga edition thread where YOU extensively defended a Scoundrel talent tree by presenting a build that barely even dipped it, or even the scoundrel class, and indeed only suffered at what it did by doing so?

And while it WAS hilarious watching you display your incredible stupidity and duplicity that time that you tried to use a character with 1 level of Scoundrel and 7 levels of Soldier to prove that a Scoundrel talent tree you took one lame ass talent off was totally not nerfed to hell and back... we don't need that sort of shit a second time, we already have a link to go back and enjoy the original.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

PL has spent more time on my ignore list than any other poster on this forum. That seems really weird given his competition, and yet on deeper inspection it is so very obviously appropriate. I highly recommend it. I don't know why he is pathologically incapable of having an honest discussion about anything, but he fucking is and you shouldn't try.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

PhoneLobster wrote:Dean's "awesome builds" are for the most part just him jizzing all over the idea of adding together entire 20 level builds of +1 to attack class "talents" and pretending it's exciting. There is some other crap in there like abusing the broken implementation of the incredibly stupid concept of "instead of a class feature have a one off CASH PRIZE!"
Obviously Virgil and DSM got here first but I still really appreciate this.

Remember when I told everyone that the next thing you would do would be to say that I said a bunch of stuff that are actually things you are making up wholesale? That you would argue completely dishonestly by stating your own grievances unrelated to anything being discussed, and then try to pass them off as somehow being something I said? Well I appreciate you doing it so blatantly and in such short order.

I doubt I need to cover for those reading along that my builds were not 20th level and are in fact such low level builds that I openly mocked a concept because it required getting to 12th before working optimally. The discussion has focused entirely on abilities rather than numerical bonuses and the only talent I discussed that modifies a number is the Heavy Armor talent that gives you +2 to +6 AC which is obviously a relevant and non-trivial bonus. Finally there is a non sequitur about winning cash.

Phonelobster you deserve no response because everything you've just written was both deeply retarded and completely predictable. Still, as an olive branch, I will now try talking with you one last time before ignoring you from here on. You may either accept this gesture and write like a real adult who is not a total shitguy or you may respond by sperging out and telling me why all your kneejerk responses are things that were actually said by me. Lets begin:

It's true that the Core Saga book is pretty bland. There are lots of low grade talents and powers and very few effects let you make a character with powerful interesting options. If one was playing with just the main rulebook the game would be quite dull and I would not like it but by adding in the many different supplements into the mix the game begins to gain lots of new options and the number of genuinely interesting builds multiplies. This is not just true with SW Saga. Many systems are fairly bland if given only the core product and this is why it has always been my contention that Star Wars Saga played with supplements is a fun and engaging play experience. Your complaints only seem familiar with core and only seem directed at core but it is not the core-only experience that I am discussing. Rather I am saying that like AD&D or GURPS Star Wars SAGA is a roleplaying game that becomes fun when you add in the supplements I am expressly discussing.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Dean wrote:If one was playing with just the main rulebook the game would be quite dull and I would not like it but by adding in the many different supplements into the mix the game begins to gain lots of
Your entire defense of Saga is apparently "There is some cool and crazy equipment lying around in an list buried somewhere in an obscure splatbook aimed at scum and villains for a core game that is broken and dull!"

That is a fucking stupid defense. Shit core rules do NOT get better because of poor quality control of later splat books accidentally letting something vaguely interesting creep into a players inventory.

The basic classes of the game and their lame talents don't go away the broken RNG at level 1 does not go away the shitty skill system, the broken stealth, the over powered (in comparison) Jedi, the whole thing where skills on different scales and progressions can suddenly replace the scale and progression of your attack and defenses, none of that goes away just because you can buy some "kick ass hologram thingy" from splat book X.

But hey, just pretend that you can just ignore the fundamental failings of Saga edition because you are suddenly pretending describing a build... isn't describing a build and that builds focusing on classes made out of lame incremental talents clearly somehow never use lame incremental talents. I'm sure that will get you as far defending Saga edition as Virgil's old "scoundrel talents work because this soldier character can deal damage with soldier options!".

Honestly how the hell it flies around here to praise Saga edition all of a sudden and to use defenses like those is fucking astonishing. Since when did this place get that monumentally dumb.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Overpowered Jedi? If you wrote overpowered Force, I could at least understand where you are comming from...

On one hand you seem to argue SWSE is bland and boring.
On the other hand you seem to be arguing the not boring things SWSE got, are because of bad quality control.

Did I read that right?

By brocken range you are talking about the Skill Mastery feat (or whatever it was named)?
And the one scoundrel talent with the +5 luck bonus?

Yes that is a problem, which might need house rules (well the scoundrel talent got errated), depending on playstyle.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

PhoneLobster wrote:And while it WAS hilarious watching you display your incredible stupidity and duplicity that time that you tried to use a character with 1 level of Scoundrel and 7 levels of Soldier to prove that a Scoundrel talent tree you took one lame ass talent off was totally not nerfed to hell and back... we don't need that sort of shit a second time, we already have a link to go back and enjoy the original.
Bullshit. I was never trying to prove that. The Scoundrel talent(s?) it took didn't exist before Saga, so it being nerfed couldn't have happened. Or are you still harping about sneak attack, the talent tree I never defended as good and had repeatedly stated such? Damn man, learn some new material.

Saga's got fundamental issues to criticize, don't get me wrong, but you can't seem to even get that right. Perhaps you should take some classes and come back when you're more articulate?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

PL wrote:Shit core rules do NOT get better because of poor quality control of later splat books accidentally letting something vaguely interesting creep into a players inventory.
I agree completely. Any discussion about how there might be interesting martial characters in 3.5 that includes anything but the barbarian or fighter, core only, final destination is completely inappropriate. Tome of Battle is right the fuck out. Clearly, crusaders, swordsages, and warblades would have no place in such a discussion.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

DSMatticus wrote: agree completely. Any discussion about how there might be interesting martial characters in 3.5 that includes anything but the barbarian or fighter, core only, final destination is completely inappropriate. Tome of Battle is right the fuck out. Clearly, crusaders, swordsages, and warblades would have no place in such a discussion.
Lets check Dean's build descriptions until we find something that laughably undermines your attempted "point"...
Dean wrote:Iron Man Bounty Hunter: A Straight Soldier
...Oh look three words into the first one.

Maybe you should hitch your but hurt against me to a different wagon. This one isn't going the direction you are pretending it is.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

PhoneLobster wrote:

Maybe you should hitch your but hurt against me to a different wagon. This one isn't going the direction you are pretending it is.
How is this a gotcha? How are you always wrong? They've made additional talents beyond the core book. The Iron Man uses gear outside of the core book.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The Star Wars Saga Edition thing where they add more talents, including frequently entire trees, to the base classes is odd enough that it doesn't surprise me that PL would assume that a straight Soldier is a core-only build if he'd never read a single Saga Edition supplement. It also doesn't surprise me that PL would go on trying to have this argument despite not having read a single Saga Edition supplement.
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

Chamomile wrote:The Star Wars Saga Edition thing where they add more talents, including frequently entire trees, to the base classes is odd enough that it doesn't surprise me that PL would assume that a straight Soldier is a core-only build if he'd never read a single Saga Edition supplement.
Saga talents are just class-specific selectable class features, so it's no more odd than adding fighter-only feats, wizard-only spells, or cleric ACFs outside the PHB.
erik
King

Post by erik »

PhoneLobster wrote:

So confused!

Anywho this thread has made me interested in SW Saga, at least as interested as I can be in a d20-system-based game. Could someone give a break-down on about the vehicle adaption rules Korwin spoke of? (adaptation?)

I'd diddling about with trying to fashion my ideal fantasy heart breaker, and as it turns out it includes flying vehicles and I don't know many good vehicle/flight mechanics or systems in my pathetic ignorance. I'm currently giving it a potent dose of handwavium with maybe a couple piloting minigames until something better approaches.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Emerald wrote:
Chamomile wrote:The Star Wars Saga Edition thing where they add more talents, including frequently entire trees, to the base classes is odd enough that it doesn't surprise me that PL would assume that a straight Soldier is a core-only build if he'd never read a single Saga Edition supplement.
Saga talents are just class-specific selectable class features, so it's no more odd than adding fighter-only feats, wizard-only spells, or cleric ACFs outside the PHB.
But with the exception of ACFs, that basically never happens. Almost every spell and feat is available to multiple classes, and the usual method of expanding options is to add more base and prestige classes rather than add more options to existing base classes. Wizards don't fit that mold and typically do get to have extra features (even if other classes get them too), but Soldier doesn't seem like it would follow the same progression as a Wizard - that would be a Jedi, who benefits from having more Force Powers to select from.

Basically, PL's response sounds exactly like what I'd expect from someone who is familiar with the Saga Edition core rules, D&D 3.X/Pathfinder, but not any Saga Edition supplements, and not at all like what someone who had any understanding of the Saga Edition supplements would be like: He assumes Soldiers work basically the same way as Fighters, receiving paltry support outside of the core rules as a base class and with most of their options contained in prestige classes.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Chamomile wrote:Basically, PL's response sounds exactly like what I'd expect from someone who is familiar with the Saga Edition core rules, D&D 3.X/Pathfinder, but not any Saga Edition supplements, and not at all like what someone who had any understanding of the Saga Edition supplements would be like: He assumes Soldiers work basically the same way as Fighters, receiving paltry support outside of the core rules as a base class and with most of their options contained in prestige classes.
You are giving him entirely too much credit. His actual argument is "Shit core rules do NOT get better because of poor quality control of later splat books accidentally letting something vaguely interesting creep into a players inventory." Verbatim. That is a statement of which the meaning does not hinge on how narrowly available discrete units of content within those splats actually are. In context, it's just a rejection of the idea that splats matter to statements of quality. That is obviously fucking insane, but it's what he said.

Now, there are actually a lot of counter-examples to that I could have picked. I went with Tome of Battle, because it was unambiguously a step in the right direction and one of the few genuine and sensible sets of benefits martial characters got in the entire product run. I... think PL's response was "adding options to classes in splats is different than adding classes in splats because reasons I'm not wrong and the thing I said wasn't stupid fuck you!" That, or he thinks "straight soldier" means core only, which would 1) make him a fucking moron, and 2) not be a defense of the assertion I mocked him for.

Dean said something positive about SWSE and it turns out PL hates it so he shoved a bunch of words in Dean's mouth and then went on a crazy rant against those things no one had said. And when everyone rolled their eyes at PL being his usual self (an obnoxious strawmanning fuckface) they managed to provoke him into increasingly stupid and ill-thought-out declarations in an effort to save the face he never had.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

erik wrote: Anywho this thread has made me interested in SW Saga, at least as interested as I can be in a d20-system-based game. Could someone give a break-down on about the vehicle adaption rules Korwin spoke of? (adaptation?)
Going from memory (so if I'm misremembering, someone correct me).
First, Starship Adaption is actually (I think) in Starships of the Galaxy. In Scums and Villains there are only some additional modifikations and the item modification rules. (Sorry about that misremembered fact.)

You can either build an starship from scratch or modify an existing one.
From an optimization standpoint you want to modify an existing one.

Building one:
You select an starship chassie in an table, this tells you some basic stats and how much equipment you can build into it, by telling you an abstract building points number.
Every equipment has some point costs. Some equipment costs more for bigger ships, this is reflected by an multiplier. Bigger ships have greater multipliers.
Sometimes there is better equipment with fewer building point costs, but those generally costs more cash.

Modifying an ship:
You reverse engineer what BP an equiment needs and by ripping the equipment out you get them back.

Problems in SWSE:
The published ships where mostly better than selfbuild ones (because if you reverse ingeniered them, you saw they had more BP than selfbuild ones).

There where some cases (mostly ship-carriers) who where vastly overpowered if you ripped the hangars out (you got an huge amount of BP for hangars).
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

PL, you know what talents Iron Man has taken by level 7, being a Soldier 6/Scout 1? Dean didn't post a build and I can fucking tell you what it should have: Evasion, Armored Defense, Improved Armored Defense, and [whatever the fuck you want]. The last talent is a free-roll here. Personally, I would take Armor Mastery, but that's because your survivability comes from your talents.

Damage comes from gear and feats. Eventually, you may want to go Elite Trooper and stack on shit that reduces the penalties for Double/Triple Attacks, but right at 7 you can have Dual Weapon Mastery II and Double Attack, making area attacks with miniaturized rocket launchers mounted in your armor that deal, at a minimum, 8d8+3 in a 3-square radius (use the Merr-Sonn PLX-2M missile launcer, as it A) has a bigger baseline warhead than the standard missile launcher and B) gives a bullshit -2 penalty to the Ref Def. of your targets via its various targeting modes). If you can swing Missile Load concussion grenades (which should work, though Missile Load specifies only three grenade types that it applies to for no reason I can see so I'm not assuming them as the default), you're instead dropping 12d8+3 on people. For anti-vehicle work, you want a mini-proton torpedo launcher for 6d12x2 against vehicles (or people if you can handle the -10 penalty to attacks). You can mount other weapons if you want (and you probably want to have the option to shoot somebody without obliterating everything within 15 ft. of them as well), but that right there is damage competitive with starfighters.

So, tell us, where is the pile of lame incremental talents this build relies on?
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Echoes wrote:So, tell us, where is the pile of lame incremental talents this build relies on?
Evasion is about as nice as core talents gets. But as "straight soldier" isn't getting it and I have no idea why you put scout 1 in there.

Armoured Defense IS a core shitty talent and remember the dumb assholes on this thread are predicating their defence on this and ALL Dean's builds being independent of core. It lets you use armour OR level for your reflex defense. Which you get to do anyway it's just now you get to choose without having to physically remove inferior armours.

Improved Armoured defense is another shitty core talent. This one at least gives you a bonus! It's only half an items armour bonus, but that could be marginally big. It's still not exactly a sparkling example a fun class ability and it cost you 3 levels and the sacrifice of a prior talent on the significantly shitty Armoured Defense talent in order to take it. AND you are going to have to burn a feat on it (probably your level 2 bonus feat in this case) for the best bonuses because actually you are only proficient with medium armour.

Armour Mastery might not actually be core and I don't want to search the universe for it so maybe you need to explain it's (non shitty non incremental) function or it's origin.

You also describe taking Elite Trooper, Dual Mastery 2 (and dual mastery 1 by implication, and probably dual mastery 3 one day) and Double Attack. ALL incremental bonuses in the strictist sense and most of which are core. So I have NO idea what the fuck you think you are pulling in the AHA! NOT INCREMENTAL BONUSES with Dual Master 1,2,3 bullshit.

Crazy ass gear, that's just about the ONLY thing Dean actually ever mentioned outside of core and honestly I don't really give a shit if you can strap a tank cannon onto a boring ass soldier who spent his career on little more than incremental multi-attack bonus/penalty negating feats and options that give him permission to use an armour bonus. Because that is all your build does.

Now the assholes are going to just flat out say your build ISN'T what Dean meant, because their entire argument has been "we refuse to be pinned down to any specific, what with saga being made of specific shit". But I do agree, you presented pretty much what his description would be, except for the odd insertion of a Scout level.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

PhoneLobster wrote:
Echoes wrote:So, tell us, where is the pile of lame incremental talents this build relies on?
Evasion is about as nice as core talents gets. But as "straight soldier" isn't getting it and I have no idea why you put scout 1 in there.
So, you admit you didn't actually do more than skim Dean's posts so you could threadshit like a moron.
Dean wrote:His build is simple, he's a Soldier with a one level dip in Scout.
Maybe you should actually read the shit you are threadshitting about before you tell people that they aren't talking about what they are in fact talking about.
PhoneLobster wrote:Armoured Defense IS a core shitty talent and remember the dumb assholes on this thread are predicating their defence on this and ALL Dean's builds being independent of core. It lets you use armour OR level for your reflex defense. Which you get to do anyway it's just now you get to choose without having to physically remove inferior armours.
I don't even understand what half of this means. What the fuck does "independent of core" mean?
PhoneLobster wrote:Improved Armoured defense is another shitty core talent. This one at least gives you a bonus! It's only half an items armour bonus, but that could be marginally big. It's still not exactly a sparkling example a fun class ability and it cost you 3 levels and the sacrifice of a prior talent on the significantly shitty Armoured Defense talent in order to take it. AND you are going to have to burn a feat on it (probably your level 2 bonus feat in this case) for the best bonuses because actually you are only proficient with medium armour.
Yes, that "marginally big" bonus is coming out to an extra +5 Ref, +4 Fort, and the ability to be fucking Iron Man. Seems worth it for two talents. And yes, I am aware that I have to burn a feat on Heavy Armor Proficiency. Oh, wait, I don't, because the armor I'm using is Medium. Now, I could make it Heavy to snag more sweet upgrade slots, and I probably would, but it's certainly not mandatory that I do so if I'd rather do something else with that feat.
PhoneLobster wrote:Armour Mastery might not actually be core and I don't want to search the universe for it so maybe you need to explain it's (non shitty non incremental) function or it's origin.
So, not only do you not bother reading Dean's posts, you don't even bother reading the actual rulebook you are exploding over.
PhoneLobster wrote:You also describe taking Elite Trooper, Dual Mastery 2 (and dual mastery 1 by implication, and probably dual mastery 3 one day) and Double Attack. ALL incremental bonuses in the strictist sense and most of which are core. So I have NO idea what the fuck you think you are pulling in the AHA! NOT INCREMENTAL BONUSES with Dual Master 1,2,3 bullshit.
Fuck you and your moving goalposts. Here's you describing your "lame incremental bonuses" definition:
PhoneLobster wrote: The basics of it is that Saga basically has d20 modern "talents" which are occasionally as exciting as holding your basic rogue sneak attack dice (only with more limitations on when you get them) ransom one at a time in return for one by one passing up every other class feature you ever get, or more commonly are some incremental tiny +1 to something something.
PhoneLobster wrote:Dean's "awesome builds" are for the most part just him jizzing all over the idea of adding together entire 20 level builds of +1 to attack class "talents" and pretending it's exciting.
Armor Mastery is the closest thing to that, and it's not even required to get this shit rolling. It's just extra gravy. You could, instead, take something else. I just didn't give a shit anymore and plugged it in for a minor increase to my defenses.
PhoneLobster wrote:Crazy ass gear, that's just about the ONLY thing Dean actually ever mentioned outside of core and honestly I don't really give a shit if you can strap a tank cannon onto a boring ass soldier who spent his career on little more than incremental multi-attack bonus/penalty negating feats and options that give him permission to use an armour bonus. Because that is all your build does.
Yes, being the Invincible Iron Man is "all this build does".
erik
King

Post by erik »

Yeah. I was trying to figure out if PL was being weirdly sarcastic about not knowing what the the scout level was for just after mentioning Evasion, but then he mentions the scout level again when capping his post. So I guess he didn't really read Dean's posts that well. When rage-reading it is a lot more likely to misread things especially to conform to one's expectations.

To 'splain:

The dip of Scout is to get Evasion. Dean mentioned this more than once as it was in the context of Iron Man and also as a way to shore up Jedi/Force Users in their vulnerability vs. area attacks.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

erik wrote:To 'splain:

The dip of Scout is to get Evasion. Dean mentioned this ....
In a separate post on the iron man which I admit I didn't bother with, but not in the initial post I was going on.

To be honest the assumption that when Dean said the Ironman was straight soldier he meant "no dips into scout" and not bothering to check whether he changed his mind on that/doesn't know the fucking difference between "straight soldier" and level dipping multiclass, was a charitable one. Because dipping one level into scout for Evasion is fucking stupid.

Evasion may be as good as talents in d20modern Saga edition get. But it is not good enough to justify the level dip into scout which nets you lost base attack, lost hit points and general suckitude, and while I'm yet to get back to the section on advanced classes as I recall they are somewhat punitive in entry requirements so it's also one level further away from getting into a remotely good advanced class.

"Good" saga builds do not level dip into fucking scout. Indeed even a relatively sensible Jedi/Soldier combo if I recall had punishing issues regarding advanced class entry, but like I said I'm still working up to that bit.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

This is awesome[/i]
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

PhoneLobster wrote:
erik wrote:To 'splain:

The dip of Scout is to get Evasion. Dean mentioned this ....
In a separate post on the iron man which I admit I didn't bother with, but not in the initial post I was going on.

To be honest the assumption that when Dean said the Ironman was straight soldier he meant "no dips into scout" and not bothering to check whether he changed his mind on that/doesn't know the fucking difference between "straight soldier" and level dipping multiclass, was a charitable one. Because dipping one level into scout for Evasion is fucking stupid.
Once again, you admit that didn't read the relevant posts and instead just skimmed through on your way to Threadshitistan.
PhoneLobster wrote:Evasion may be as good as talents in d20modern Saga edition get. But it is not good enough to justify the level dip into scout which nets you lost base attack, lost hit points and general suckitude, and while I'm yet to get back to the section on advanced classes as I recall they are somewhat punitive in entry requirements so it's also one level further away from getting into a remotely good advanced class.

"Good" saga builds do not level dip into fucking scout. Indeed even a relatively sensible Jedi/Soldier combo if I recall had punishing issues regarding advanced class entry, but like I said I'm still working up to that bit.
Shut up. Just stop talking about Saga Edition, because you clearly have no idea how the game functions. When generic Stormtroopers pack both autofire weapons and grenades, not having Evasion means your ass dies in a hail of blaster bolts and shrapnel with basically no recourse. They come in greater numbers than you do, and they give zero shits about mowing you down in a hail of shrapnel and blaster bolts.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Echoes wrote:Stormtroopers ...They come in greater numbers than you do, and they give zero shits about mowing you down in a hail of shrapnel and blaster bolts.
Really? If that's the case the game is fucking broken right there and everyone dipping scout (which doesn't happen) shouldn't. Not to mention we've already had apologists for this game on this thread basically say "nah PC grenade/blast murder just doesn't happen for no reason!"

And you know, why the fuck you think evasion lets you survive I don't know. Scouts get less hit points, scouts can still take damage from burst fire if they get hit, if CL system (which actually flat out tells you not to throw more than 6 enemies at the party at once) is as broken as you pretend they just die from being shot regular style which scouts don't have anything for.

Meanwhile the Jedi solution to autofire works about as well, lets you upgrade to reflect attacks, and here is the thing, possibly also works on burst fire while evasion specifcially doesn't and your supposed "if evasion doesn't work you DIE!" scenario results in everyone dying the moment HEAVY storm troopers turn up and use Burst Fire, which they do fairly quickly because the challenge rules state you shouldn't have encounters with more than 6 dudes and your're gonna want to up the CL on individual enemies fast to meet that guideline.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Echoes wrote:generic Stormtroopers... your ass dies
I didn't have time this morning and I want to examine this in more detail.

So if you actually look at the fucking numbers it goes a bit like this.

When do You even fight how many Storm Troopers?
The CL Guidelines tell us that "encounters with 2-6 opponents work best" and that encounters with "more than a dozen opponents" will make the party feel "overwhelmed". Which is basically as close to an admission stating "these rules are totally fucked up for heroic or large scale encounters so don't even try it" as you are going to get.

Now the CL Guidelines neglect to actually tell you what the expected baseline encounters level is and how often you should fight "Challenging", "Difficult"and "Unfair" encounters (and neglects to actually match those categories up explicitly with the CL bands it mentions in the refereed to text that is supposed to describe them) and it says precious little about easier encounters. Why? Because it's a randomly truncated mess written by a game designer who didn't even grasp the basic workings of the 3.x edition challenge rating system and didn't realize which bits we actually needed.

But it looks like, stupidly, the default challenge level is the "challenging" but "fair" challenge rating. Yes that's a stupid thing but it's how it is. And the 6 storm trooper encounter that "works best" is a standard "challenging" encounter for a party of 4 level 2 heroes. The Dozen storm troopers you shouldn't exceed and which already exceed the game's own self acknowledge fail point of "not working the best" limit of 6 are a "challenging" encounter for a party of 4 level 4 heroes.

Storm Trooper Attacks
Storm troopers output an average of 12.5 damage on their autofire shots on hits and 6.25 on misses at +4 to attack, but with a -5 autofire penalty to a net -1 to attack. Their grenades are averaging 14 damage on a hit and 7 on a miss at +3 to attack and while marginally better frankly may as well be the same. Blast ranges on autofire are pretty tiny not big, you really get one, maybe two characters a shot if you are lucky and the PCs are dumb as bricks.

PC Defenses
The average level 2 character is probably getting something like (and lets be generous and give out 14 dex) a Reflex of 17. The average level 4 character, well lets give them 16 dex and a Reflex of 20. Now you are going to hit the odd specialist with one or two points more, but you'll also hit the odd dex dumper with less so we will just run with those numbers.

Except... that Soldiers will be running around in armour. They probably won't take the Armour talent tree that early if ever, but they can just put on some armour pretty much free. Now, the wealth guidelines are poorly written and concieved, but just to barely scrape level 2 a soldier is running around with something like 4375 credits in wealth over that time. And to scrape into 4th level he is running around with 16875 credits. Now there are other expenses and weapons and stuff, but if you are ever going to invest in armour you are going to do it early in your career before the stupid way the system handles armour vs level bonus makes the armour mostly redundant/crippling, so you do spend a large portion of your wealth on it if you get the free proficiencies like a Soldier does. Now a level 2 Soldier is running around with a combat jump suit (or better) for at least 19 Reflex, and a level 4 soldier is running around with minimum Battle Armour even if he didn't take Heavy Armour Proficiency for a Reflex 24.

Storm Troopers attacking PCs
Now, I don't actually have any fucking idea whether AoE's and Autofire specifically get to have critical hits. Because the rules are stupid. See it's an attack roll, and attack rolls get to be autohits and criticals on 20. So maybe they do. But the text in the AoE and autofire sections just say that hits are just normal damage. And EITHER text could be interpreted to over ride the other.. I'm going with no criticals on AoEs, it's not going to swing the math much.

So once we throw in the to hit roll the autofiring Storm Troopers are average at a around 7.4 damage per turn per storm trooper per target (but hit maybe 1.5 targets per turn). Against the low end 17 defense. Now after that I couldn't really be assed because at that point all we do is approach a number that rounds down to 6 from a number that rounds down to 7 and the difference is fucking negligible.

Meanwhile storm troopers who opt to just flat out shoot you attack at +4, against the 2nd level 17 defense targets they are dealing about 5.6 damage average accounting for misses, hits and criticals to a standard level 2 party. This is more strongly effected as reflex defense scores go up because of crazy level stuff or soldiers putting on armour, so the level 2 soldier in armour is averaging a little over 4 points of damage taken per attack, the standard level 4 targets are taking about 4 points on average per attack, and the level 4 soldier with the best medium armour at less than half his budget without even investing further resources is at a mere average 1.25 damage per attack.

A Moment To Acknowledge just how much of a bad mechanic Autofire is in general
Now the whole thing where spraying an area guarantees damage, is stupid. The thing where storm troopers have the ability to NEVER MISS, yes STORM TROOPERS that never miss, is also stupid. The thing where as people get level up compared to you and better at defending it is comparatively more viable to spray and pray, is stupid. The thing where once any significant disadvantage kicks in you just swap over to guaranteed damage and non-proficient Ewoks nobles run around everywhere spraying autofire from rapid fire blaster cannons and are comparitively effective if not marginally more so than a proficient skilled character making deliberate directly aimed single target attacks? Monumentally stupid. The whole thing where the game cannot handle more than 6 opponents in an encounter because in large part the broken Autofire mechanic lets comparitively lower level opponents contribute reliable damage output that DOESN'T drop off the scale in the way the level to defense bonus system intentionally makes normal direct damage drop off the RNG is fucking stupid.

The Autofire mechanic is, quiet frankly, an example of exactly exactly what sort of fundamentally arse backwards bad for the game mechanics that absolutely typify Saga edition.

Do Storm Troopers kill everyone who doesn't “dip scout” for evasion?
But WILL storm troopers fucking kill you if you don't have Evasion? Well. Evasion is actually Improved Evasion, because why not and screw system familiarity. You convert full damage to half and half to none. The 2nd level straight scout is converting the average 7 damage per turn to an instead to an average of a mere 1 damage per turn from spray and pray troopers. So... the troopers just switch to shooting directly and only really lose out on 1 damage and shoot directly rounding their average damage out to about 6, (maybe 5 scouts do get a whopping +1 extra ref defense and I know there would be screams of foul murder if I skipped over it without mention as tiny as it is).

We do not even NEED at this point to bother with HP considerations and storm trooper survivability. (We will in a second anyway). But at that marginal a difference taking Evasion at the level where you are most intended to actually encounter 6 storm troopers (which is the most enemies you are supposed to encounter before the game throws up It's hands and says “not for the best!”) characters having evasion is just short of meaningless to their survivability as the damage output difference between being direct fire shot by Storm troopers and Autofire shot by storm troopers is just short of meaningless.

Now by 4th level when you might conceivably push the system to its “fuck it I guess you can but don't go further than this” limit of 13 whole storm troopers, the difference between Evasion and direct fire is bigger but unless you are a soldier in armour it's still not all that much of a difference. But, at THAT level you are actually SUPPOSED to mostly be fighting things more like 6 HEAVY storm troopers who have burst fire and now handily ignore Evasion outright while simultaneously raising their damage output notably.

But even if storm troopers are killing you very marginally more slowly with direct fire than by autofiring on a character without evasion... how long does it take them to kill you?

How long does it take for storm troopers to whittle down your proto-type for padded sumo giant starting HP?
Well. Your good character classes are racking in at level 2 with about 37.5 HP.. Your sucky trap classes get 23.5 HP. And your stupid “I'm pretending not to be a trap class” Scout is wracking in between at 30.5 HP.

So it takes an average 5 and a tiny bit shots to whittle down a Jedi or soldier with autofire. OR an average of 6 and a little bit direct fire shots. The shitty trap Nobles and Scoundrels take a mere 3 and a bit average shots to go down from autofire and just short of 4 shots standard fire. The straight level 2 scout takes 4 and a bit shots to go down if he doesn't take Evasion, so he takes Evasion, and takes 5 or 6 shots direct fire to go down depending on how well he leveraged the +1 extra class based Ref defence he might have over some other PCs.

So in the end it just flat out comes down to focus fire, a problem for any d20 system and ranged attacks period. Jedi and Soldiers without Evasion (or Deflect) go down to Autofire in an average 6 shots... and Scouts with Evasion go down to direct fire in an average 6 shots. And there are 6 Storm troopers and if they completely focus fire they average a dropped PC per turn on raw HP damage REGARDLESS of whether you have evasion. And that's focus fire for you, very nice of Saga Edition to break all it's promises about heroic escapades that level scaling defense bonuses were supposed to solve that shit with by handily adding in a mechanic to let focus fire circumvent them somewhat.

BUT WAIT... Scout is a LEVEL DIP!!! (according to the retard brigade). Yeah... it's not in the given scenario as the level where “generic stormtroopers” are actually their most level appropriate you only HAVE two levels, the difference between our sample level 2 scout and a 1 Scout/1 ???? isn't enough to bother with here.

BUT WAIT... 12 storm troopers! It's allowed by the challenge guidelines... sort of. And is a standard encounter at level 4 where everyone has more resources on standard defenses anyway. But your Straight scout is relatively further behind on HP by then, and with enemies averaging 4 damage a pop on direct fire... they can still focus the scout down in one turn if they want with 12 of them, and pretty much the same goes for straight good HP. And no one really gives a shit because at that level 12 storm troopers is an aberrant encounter by level guidelines and 6 heavy storm troopers turm up as the standard encounter instead and change the entire scenario ignoring Evasion outright and increasing individual damage output.

HOWEVER. Second Wind is also a thing. Once per day you can, close enough to free have your HP back just for being a heroic character. So as long as you get a go before all 6 storm troopers attack you then screw those guys, you live! Until next turn anyway. Unless you are a trap class like Scoundrel and you need to do that in between the 2nd and 3rd shot and then three more guys shoot you and kill you with some to spare anyway. And that brings us to two further questions in storm troopers supposedly totally fucking killing you if you don't take Evasion for no reason.

Who Goes First?
The PCs go first. Initiative is now a skill. Storm Troopers are chumps and don't take it. Every PC base class has it as a class skill. The skill rank system was chucked in favour of inexplicably letting everyone front load up to half their rank bonuses. So the PCs all get a base of +5 before their dex and half level bonus. And someone in the party probably noticed how stupid the whole front loaded skill for initiative thing is and took an extra +5 from skill focus (Initiative). So yeah, all up the PCs probably have about a +5 drop on the Storm troopers and odds are relatively good, though not perfect, that no storm trooper goes before at least one PC and all the PCs have gone before the last couple of storm troopers get their actions. .

Also you can apparently take 10 on Initiative rolls. Somehow. They don't really outline the circumstances but take time to shout piece of crazy out.

What Is Storm Trooper Survivability?
Storm Troopers have 10 HP. An average hit with a blaster or a light saber just plain kills them (and yes murder type kill because it also on average exceeds their damage threshold so your heroic star wars heroes flat out graphically murder most storm troopers on average hits).

Storm Troopers have 16 Reflex Defence. You can fairly safely give your level 2 characters something like a +4 net attack bonus without really trying and attacks, especially in a three type defense situation, are more likely to be invested in, so it's probably even higher. Lets just say that the PCs are hitting storm troopers about half the time, and when they do, they usually kill them.

Nobles and Scoundrels and Scouts however are the characters most likely to not manage the basic damage and attack assumptions however, so a single level dip into scout (or just being a level 2 scout) flat out setting you -1 BAB behind the curve before any other considerations.

There are 4 PCs, for about 2 storm troopers dropped per turn. The PCs pretty much act first, so actually you probably see 4 storm troopers fire in the first round, 2 in the next, and then the party wins even against total focus fire with autofire with no evasion with only enough damage to not kill (but use up the second wind on) one “good class” soldier or jedi character. And the chances that you will get a chance to use second wind are "high".

If you bring a trap class like Noble or Scoundrel, they are at significant risk of going down, and missing their chance to second wind in the process, but are actually more likely to DIE to direct fire since Autofire is more likely to non-fatally reduce them to 0 HP (because the way this version of d20modern handles death at 0 HP, yes death at 0 HP, is weird and fucking stupid too).

If you bring a scout, or other minor drop in offensive power, you are marginally more likely to let the Storm Troopers get off an extra shot of focus fire before they go down, which is probably not enough to kill/knock out a character, but might be. And it's more likely with a lower HP target... like a Scout.

What About Damage Threshold
You know I would LIKE to have included damage threshold in these considerations, because in theory it favors direct fire, because the auto half damage isn't going to make damage thresholds but direct hits are significantly more likely to do so, thus progressing you down the Condition Track, which is basically one of those incredibly stupid “Death Spiral” mechanics we sometimes talk about around here.

BUT. Quite frankly THAT is not warranted. Because the Condition Track is totally tacked on bullshit put there by total fucking incompetents. And among other things even aside from it being flat out annoying to track and all, it turns out that they laced the system with piles of “recover X on the Condition Track”options, and there is a default one built in at what is frankly too cheap an action cost to use.

Storm troopers go down to HP damage before the condition track kicks in, auto fire almost never triggers condition track progression, and on the off chance direct fire does you just skip a move and two unused swift actions and get better.

However. It is worth noting there is a stupid fucking death at 0 HP mechanic in the game. So at 0 HP you are knocked out, but if the damage that got you there exceeded your Damage Threshold you are killed with what is basically permadeath (well there are force points shenanigans, but lets not get into those right now because force point mechanics are a clusterfuck in their own right).

The upshot of THAT is that while in our standard storm trooper encounter the scout with evasion takes the same average 6 direct shots to fall down as the Soldier/Jedi takes 6 average autofire shots to fall down... the Scout is SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to fall down DEAD when they do so while the soldier is most likely just unconscious.

This is long enough to need a conclusion
The mechanics involved are broken and stupid at several points in several ways, it's a sheer fluke that Evasion ISN'T a must have level dip against Storm Troopers. Storm Troopers and Autofire DO manage to do spectacularly stupid things mechanically, starting with the thing where storm troopers never miss and ending with the bit where it undermines the systems stated and attempted goal of high level characters curb stomping low level threats.

And focus fire is still a major issue, regardless of Evasion. Though notably the system's attempts to fix this in some arenas have been undermined by it's needless and stupid changes in others.

BUT... Evasion isn't a must have basic survival option against storm troopers. It's impact is incredibly negligible at best.

edit: Oh and I Forgot One Thing
I was going to include a comparison of the Jedi Deflect talent to Evasion. What with it being basically "Evasion only also it makes direct fire miss you". The basics of that one are, that it's hands down better than evasion except in extreme focus fire. At which point not much saves you anyway.

edit: And it's worth noting
Burst fire is also REALLY badly written. It probably works like autofire for how it applies it's damage, and that's basically how it's written in the Autofire section of the combat rules, but it isn't explicit and if you only ever read the feat you might not think it worked like that at all.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

erik wrote:Anywho this thread has made me interested in SW Saga, at least as interested as I can be in a d20-system-based game. Could someone give a break-down on about the vehicle adaption rules Korwin spoke of? (adaptation?)

I'd diddling about with trying to fashion my ideal fantasy heart breaker, and as it turns out it includes flying vehicles and I don't know many good vehicle/flight mechanics or systems in my pathetic ignorance. I'm currently giving it a potent dose of handwavium with maybe a couple piloting minigames until something better approaches.
Anywayyyyyy. So to best answer your question I've been going through the Starships of the Galaxy book trying to regain my SAGA-fu in that arena. Korwin does a fair job of answering your question but let me hit the pro's and cons of their system really quickly.

The nice part of their shipbuilding system is it feels appropriately in-universe and allows you to craft a lot of very different ships so that a team could totally play Voltron or Gundam and have every member have their own crazy ship. Both the modification and build from scratch systems function pretty well and produce generally sane numbers with the exceptions I'll outline below.

The shitty part of their shipbuilding system is that it works well for small ships, alright for huge ships, and terribly for mid-sized ships. Small ships have to struggle to cover all their bases like shields, offense, and maneuverability so there's choices to make. Huge ships have tons of limitations they have to work under and lots of specific weaknesses. Mid sized ships are the best of all worlds. The starship system uses "Emplacement Points" as the currency for adding weapons and equipment to a ship and ships are allowed to sacrifice cargo space for more Emplacement Points. Since Mid Sized ships have the highest ratio of cargo space to ship cost everyone buys giant empty warehouse ships and fills every inch with lasers and shields and thrusters. Mid sized ships just fuck the game if being designed by a person who wants to win. They can gain enough blasting power to 1-round Star Destroyers, they can maneuver like Tie Fighters, and they can soak more fire than whole small fleets could dish out.

You could use the Saga starship rules and have a good game but there's 2 rule changes you have to make. The cargo space for Emplacement Points rule should only exist for Gargantuan or smaller ships. Really. Making that one change would instantly let you run a much better vehicle based campaign. The other house rule I would advise would be to give people some talents and feats that they can only use to upgrade their space combat ability. Saying that every character gained an extra 3 feats and 2 talents that were only usable when inside a vehicle would let people construct what kind of spacer they are without sacrificing their usefulness in the rest of the game. Think of it like making everyone Gestalt but the second set of class abilities only comes online when in a ship. This is necessary for genre emulation in the Star Wars universe because if Luke can fly spaceships, shoot cannons, and modulate his shields all while being able to hold a Lightsaber it means Luke must have had about 6 vehicle combat feats and been about 10th level when we first meet him on Tattoine. Starship combat and piloting is something everyone should be able to do in the Star Wars universe and giving everyone a little pile of free Starship feats and talents would emulate that and not make one character the Space Jockey and the other 4 the people who wait around for his space segment to end.

Fun Note: The best part of the Starships of the Galaxy book is that Cloaking Devices exist and take up the Emplacement Point equivalent of 250 tons of cargo and the Millenium Falcon, if you strip out everything, has 248 tons of cargo. This means that in Empire Strikes back when Captain Needa says "They can't have disappeared, no ship that small has a cloaking device" he is now making an INCREDIBLY precise observation!

Final note: If there's anything in the mountain of bullshit that Phonelobster spewed that anyone isn't able to immediately detect as bullshit just ask about it. Not a single thing he said was correct but if any actual person got confused about any part of the rules feel free to ask.
Last edited by Dean on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.