Powder Burns&Spandex: Recruitment

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Powder Burns&Spandex: Recruitment

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I've been wanting to run a supers-noir game for some time, and my schedule is looking to allow beginning such in a couple of weeks. To that end, I reckoned I'd see if there was any interest here, by way of being friendly-like.

Tone: I am open to suggestion from parties interested in playing. Players should in no way feel limited to playing detective/cop types.

System: 3E Mutants and Masterminds, PL 8 (120 points) with allocation requirements:
min. 30 points to stats
min. 30 points to skills/advantages
max. 30 points to any one power
max. 2 AE/DAE for a given power
max 4 point tradeoff
min. 3-5 complications
5-10 freebie point package I'll put together based on genre-convention consensus: think Equipment/job-related skills/features

I welcome discussion.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

I'm tempted to do a grappling expert femme fatale. Something like Elastigirl meets Black Widow, if she'd gone into government service like the Comedian.

But I dunno.
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I don't know the system, but I could pick it up if we've got some time before the game starts, depending on the format (and possibly timing). What's the format? Play by post? Skype? IRC? Roll20?
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I could be interested in this. Not sure what to play yet.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

I'm very interested in this, M&M is one of my favorite games and I usually think the default PL 10 is a bit too high-powered.

But is there any chance I could convince you to use 2E rather than 3E?

2E is much the better edition in my opinion, with the only real improvement in 3E being the Affliction power and a lot of the changes being annoyances or just plain bad, from messing with the attributes, to making skills more expensive, cutting feats and overall reducing granularity and options. Particularly on a more "human" scale like this I think 2E would do better, 3E attributes and skills have far too little granularity on the low end of the range.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

While I'm not really familiar with 3E... I think I remember, they took away the attributes and now only use the boni (or mali) instead. So totally the same?
The only granulary you loose is the not mattering between an Attribute on 14 or 15.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Well, it's true that they went from using D&D-style attributes to just using the modifiers, and that was definitely an improvement. But the problem is they also redefined the effects of those modifiers -you see it most clearly with Strength.

Back in 2E you had the whole range from +3 to +6 (16-22) to play around in for an "athletic guy with no superpowers" -22 was the reasonable human maximum. But in 3E the only Strength score you can really assign that guy is a 3, because even a 4 allows you to lift 1600 pounds and is clearly too much for someone with no enhancements.