[ArM: BtB] IC: In Which We Begin

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Our general attitude on the matter is, quite simply, that we are in a remarkably vulnerable position, surrounded by threats we have little knowledge of and with very few allies to call upon. As such, it seems prudent to hold on to our vis and mundane resources except in situations that directly affect the welfare or safety of the covenant. Once we have dealt with immediate threats and secured our mundane needs, things could well change, I think. In any case, if I must, I support the nomination of Orsen for treasurer, and suggest we turn out attention to our labs.

This will sound, well,self-important, but I propose my lab be the focus of our efforts, but for good reason. Having an Aegis up is of supreme importance, and given my aptitude with Vim I assume I will be the one best suited to refining the required vis. In a fully equipped lab I can extract four pawns in a single season, and 3 is doubtless within my reach in suboptimal conditions As such, I suggest we focus our efforts on ensuring I am able to extract the vis we need for the aegis of eighth magnitude I have learnt.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"So focusing on setting up a lab," Nid said. "Well, it's not a bad idea. We'll need one eventually, anyway."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

"In meantime", says The Wolf, "My constitutents will patrol area. Will warn of hazards."
Building a lab only takes the attentions of a single magus (technically anyone with MT of at least 3 can build one) and takes two seasons: one to get it to a state of basic usability, and the next to bring it up to a professional standard.

As such, building a lab is totally a thing that you can do in Spring, but it won't take the whole covenant to build just one. Everybody else will be able to explore or study or build their own labs or whatever.

Naturally, this building process assumes that you have a suitable structure to set up the lab within. Since Camille lives here, this is not an unreasonable assumption. If Camille decides not to help for whatever reason, you can always put a lab in a tent.
Last edited by Laertes on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

- I shall search the wilderness and look for sources of Vis. They must abound here. I think we sould pay special attention on the pond nearby, for it has a magic aura and is likely to contain vis... maybe as its ice cover melt,we will know more about this place.

Mathei laugh, and then respond to Petrus smiling :

- You are not self centered at all, but merely practical and reasonable. We can all agree, I think, that the Aegis is of utmost importance. And having a functionnal laboratory is also a necessity, after all, like the saying in house Bonisagus goes : this is where magic happens.

I will use the spell Gift of Flight on me and one of my grog, disguised by the spell Under the Guise of the crow to look like crows (or any other local bird).
I will then use the spells Searching for the places of power/dream to spot magical/faerie auras, and investiguate those place in more detail (flying and on foot), as they are likely to contain vis source. I will aslo use the spell Searching for the shard of magic to spot vis on sight (it will glow).

Laertes : What is your stance on ward/aegis regarding penetration ? Does the aegis need to penetrate to stop being with might ?

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Thank you for your support. I have already scouted the area for vis, and barring a single pawn of infernally tainted corpus vis and what appears to be a pawn or so of herbam vis on the first day of spring, which we have already collected and plan to refine into a usable form, we have found nothing. I have not ranged further abroad yet, but I hope to bring my shield grogs and go exploring soon."
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

-I thought as much. Unfortunatly for us, vis sources tend to be distant, hard to find and timing is of the essence, vis can occur in and certain only for a few days a year. I can however cover a lot of ground per day and as I will be sharing the vantage point of the birds. Hopefully I will be able to find the more distance sources.

Turning his attention towards the wolf :

-Wolf, you and your pack must have hunted around this land for years. Do you know of such places where magical energy flows into this world ?
I will also spontaneously cast spells to detect vis by hearing it (self, conc, hearing lvl 5 when I am in a magical aura. I will do this all this season, this is my seasonal activity.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

"These lands?" asks The Wolf, gulping down the last of the mutton. "No. We're from up north by Orsha. We arrived with the covenant."
I'll handle seasonal activities in the OOC thread once everyone's declared them.

My opinion is that the Aegis doesn't need to penetrate.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"One last thing, and then I believe we can go get some fresh air. We are attempting to get on friendly terms with the local villagers, so as to secure food and resources. As we have precious little silver, we were hoping to barter security and subtle magical aid. Do you possess any skills or know any spells that could be of use?
JeanPat
1st Level

Post by JeanPat »

I used spells that help the natural healing process of wounds in the past, rebalance the humors of the body to fight disease as well as ways to ease childbirth.

I am sure the villagers will be interested, after all bona valetudo melior est quam maximae divitiae.
Last edited by JeanPat on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"True. Well, we shall see. Camille, if you wouldn't mind, could we talk about setting up a building for my lab and quarters?"
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

The Unnamed Covenant. 26 March 1220. Spring. (Morning)

"Certainly. Shall we take a walk and pace out measurements while we're at it?"
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

[[salesman's Parma, Petrus might be able to spontaneously create some fog and blow it around to rough out dimensions. In any case, we can sort out details via pm/skype.]]

Petrus grins enthusiastically and rubs his hands together. "Excellent. I've always dreamed of this day."