13th Age - Anyone Tried It?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Post by silva »

I heard thwre is a Glorantha 13th age book xoming out soon. I wonder how the setting will mesh with the Icons concept.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Nihnoz
NPC

Post by Nihnoz »

Blicero wrote:I got a chance to skim through the 13th Age Bestiary today, and I was surprisingly impressed. Most of the monsters in the Bestiary included are old standbys, but a lot of them look like they could be fun to fight against or run. 13th Age is still full of dissociated mechanics and random Forge-ite interjections and an almost total lack of symmetry between PCs and monsters, but the designers have at least run with these conceits and integrated them into the overall system pretty well. There's still the 4E thing where "ogre with a club" and "ogre with a spear" need two separate writeups, but monster statblocks are super short, so the redundant space doesn't quite want to make you cry. There's also a decent amount of space dedicated to adventure hooks and and encounter building. But unlike the late 3E monster manuals, most of the information seems like the sort of thing an MC might actually use.
The 13th age bestiary is a VERY good book, probably one of the better monster manuals I've read. The bloodcaps in particular look like silly fun.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

+$500 - Pitch-a-monster: Send us an idea for a Gloranthan monster. We will design and stat out that monster, and include a small drawing for you.

+$600 - Patron of the Arts: Art director Jeff Richard will work with you to turn a Gloranthan scene of your choosing into a full-color art piece for the book. You'll get a signed print of your illustration (free shipping).
So you're paying them lots of money for stuff they're going to put in the books anyway?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Damn, 6 days doe the kick start to end. I'm tempted.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen