Vs the DM

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Vs the DM

Post by User3 »

As a DM, you have a role to make the game fun, come up with plot, and generally run the world.

But have you ever felt that the DM was out to get you, or was protecting you from your own bad moves?

As a DM, I once Sundered a Spellsword guy's magic sword because I was trying to get him to stop using it as the sole focus of his character.

As a DM, I also don't play as a strategy gamer and focus my attacks on one guy to drop him. I don't use Save or Dies, or Charm spells.

What else do you avoid doing? What's your worse DM crime?
rapanui
Knight

Re: Vs the DM

Post by rapanui »

During my first days with D&D I was guilty of every single "bad DM" cliche you can think of. Railroading, fudging, making things personal, etc etc...

During my days of D&D 3e I was better, but in the end I still fudged a lot of numbers so that characters could live, and pulled a few punches that I probably shouldn't have. If anything, I was too lenient.

Recently, I've grown quite disillusioned with 3e/3.5 in general, but I must acknowledge it's still leaps better than 2e. I have to admit I haven't sat down at a game table (err... floor) for months though.