Tabletop gaming guilty pleasures: what are yours?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

mlangsdorf wrote:
tussock wrote: I enjoy turning Pathfinder APs into sandbox clue webs. Not to run, just, you know, hacking at them until they make sense as a sandbox.
I wouldn't call that a guilty pleasure, but more of a magical community service. How do you do that? Do you have conversion notes somewhere that people can read?
Nah, it's just what I do to get through reading them, there's bound to be notes on the desk somewhere, or in some poorly named spreadsheet somewhere. Eh, pick one, I'll do a thread, it's pretty easy, they're all fairly well compartmentalised to start with.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Another thing that has to go on this list, thinking about it: Random chargen. As a player, I love me some random chargen. I adore looking at a character and trying to work out what he would be good at, rather than finding a thing that I want to be good at and then building a character who can do it. As a GM I loathe it, but as a player it is completely my drug of choice. In Dark Heresy I don't have to pick a single thing about my character. Even his name and eye colour can be randomly generated. Fuck yes.

On that, another related guilty pleasure is short-termism when it comes to character advancement. I understand that I need to plan ahead properly, which is why it brings me so much nihilistic glee to throw that planning to the wind and just take those things which are useful now rather than the ones which will be a structured part of my character's future.
Last edited by Laertes on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

tussock wrote:Eh, pick one, I'll do a thread, it's pretty easy, they're all fairly well compartmentalised to start with.
Savage Tide?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

souran wrote:My other guilty pleasure is 4E. I really do feel like there is not another rpg that is even close to how much fun it is to push the miniatures around with as that game.
You really gotta try the recent Gamma World edition that used the basic 4e mechanics.

Coincidentally, I would rate that edition of Gamma World as a guilty pleasure, despite only playing like 2 sessions of it before real life dispersed the group.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
8d8
Apprentice

Post by 8d8 »

I still like 4e for super simplistic beer & pretzel games. It's terrible for long-term campaigns, but it seems like it was built for tournament play and it works well enough for that that I like it.

Star Wars. It's dumb, it really is. But it is one of my favorite settings for an RPG. Probably because explaining the setting goes like this, "Two words: Star Wars."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

8d8 wrote:I still like 4e for super simplistic beer & pretzel games. It's terrible for long-term campaigns, but it seems like it was built for tournament play and it works well enough for that that I like it.
Has anyone run a 4e tournament before?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

8d8 wrote:I still like 4e for super simplistic beer & pretzel games. It's terrible for long-term campaigns, but it seems like it was built for tournament play and it works well enough for that that I like it.

Star Wars. It's dumb, it really is. But it is one of my favorite settings for an RPG. Probably because explaining the setting goes like this, "Two words: Star Wars."
Preferred system, or do you just like the setting?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Pretty sure conventions have. The main Australian one used to do a big 2-session D&D game where the team that does the best job wins a trophy and gets to design and run the big one next year. It started in the days of AD&D2E, it continued through the life of 3E, and I'm sure it went on into 4E. You know, before 4E basically killed all interest people had in D&D and created enough of a power void for things like Dark Heresy to step up.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
mlangsdorf
Master

Post by mlangsdorf »

tussock wrote:
mlangsdorf wrote:
tussock wrote: I enjoy turning Pathfinder APs into sandbox clue webs. Not to run, just, you know, hacking at them until they make sense as a sandbox.
I wouldn't call that a guilty pleasure, but more of a magical community service. How do you do that? Do you have conversion notes somewhere that people can read?
Nah, it's just what I do to get through reading them, there's bound to be notes on the desk somewhere, or in some poorly named spreadsheet somewhere. Eh, pick one, I'll do a thread, it's pretty easy, they're all fairly well compartmentalised to start with.
Rise of the Runelords, as their archetypical AP, or Savage Tide, though it's a surprisingly flexible railroad through the 2nd pirate attack on the Isle of Dread.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Look, if the Den winds up doing a RIFTS game, please don't let me NOT be playing in that shit.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Deathfork
Apprentice

Post by Deathfork »

I'm currently playing in a long running game of Cthulhu-tech. It's being run by a good GM with a fuck-ton of patching and fixes.
We started as OIS agents, uncovered the Shadow war, defected to the Eldritch Society, and are now Tagers. Currently sitting at 460 XP with an average of about 15/session.
We just started a set of Engel characters on the other side of the world in China, that will eventually tie back into our starting characters.

It's fun. Sue me.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

mlangsdorf wrote:
tussock wrote:
mlangsdorf wrote: I wouldn't call that a guilty pleasure, but more of a magical community service. How do you do that? Do you have conversion notes somewhere that people can read?
Rise of the Runelords, as their archetypical AP, or Savage Tide, though it's a surprisingly flexible railroad through the 2nd pirate attack on the Isle of Dread.
Are you still planning on doing this?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I write 40k fandexes for fun, like a new 7e Dark Eldar codex because the current one was so underwhelming.

RIFTS, yeah would love to play it on tgd
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

I enjoy playing Dumb Melee Fighters. Not even just stuff like Casters that can melee or ToB style characters. But I'll occasionally roll up a straight 3.5 barbarian or fighter just to spend a few sessions beating on stuff mindlessly.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I actually enjoyed playing Bear World and Bear World: Retroclone edition.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I haven't played Dungeonworld yet, but Apocalypse World was decent. For me its biggest advantage was convincing players that they can and should take an active role in the narrative and world-shaping, and not just be reactive consumers of the GM's pronouncements.
deathdealingjawa
Apprentice

Post by deathdealingjawa »

Another vote for Exalted.
That moment when the DM stated "No one passes through that side of the dessert anymore due boarder conflict between your laser shooting t-rex minions and Deathlords the undead army" forever burned the game into my soul.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Schwarzkopf wrote:Look, if the Den winds up doing a RIFTS game, please don't let me NOT be playing in that shit.
Sadly there is no way I would be able to join, but someone (else) needs to make this happen.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Shadowrun. Even with all the faults from its system, I can't stop playing it because its setting is soooo amazing.
Mask_De_H wrote:I actually enjoyed playing Bear World and Bear World: Retroclone edition.
mean_liar wrote:I haven't played Dungeonworld yet, but Apocalypse World was decent.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by silva on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

5E is my current guilty pleasure.

Granted, I hacked it by adapting 3.X' flaws so players could start the game with a number of feats, plus I added additional uses for Inspiration a-la FATE and M&M. Also, given how we have no rules for treasure yet, we decided to remove gold from the equation by playing high-class characters where gold is not an issue and we rather play on the economy of favors. It's a couple of single-player games I play with a friend taking turns at the wheel. The game where he is the player, also, is more combat-oriented than mine, so I also gave him magic weapon and armor plus a False Life-like item that increases his character's max HP by a cumulative 10 every 2 levels (because 5E, all about the HPs).

By this, I'm saying I'm basically not playing 5E, and obviously I wouldn't touch the turd of a system with a 10ft. pole on any gaming table other than mine because it would be a completely different thing (which probably wouldn't be 5E either but I'd hate it probably even more).

...which, according to Mearls, means I'm technically playing the turd as intended.
Last edited by Dogbert on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

OgreBattle: I used to do the same. Actually, I think almost everyone who plays/played 40k did that to some extent. Although it's kind of reached the stage where it's a better idea to change the core game itself. And the company behind it. And the playerbase...
Josh_Kablack wrote:
Schwarzkopf wrote:Look, if the Den winds up doing a RIFTS game, please don't let me NOT be playing in that shit.
Sadly there is no way I would be able to join, but someone (else) needs to make this happen.
Just remember that Rifts games have a tendency to die not with a disappointing sizzle, but with an explosion of the party turning on itself. But the ones that don't will still fall apart pretty early.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

mean_liar wrote: For me [Apocalypse World] biggest advantage was convincing players that they can and should take an active role in the narrative and world-shaping, and not just be reactive consumers of the GM's pronouncements.
...and it achieves it through actual mechanics, not just advice. THAT is the real neat thing IMO. ;)
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Dogbert wrote:By this, I'm saying I'm basically not playing 5E, and obviously I wouldn't touch the turd of a system with a 10ft. pole on any gaming table other than mine because it would be a completely different thing (which probably wouldn't be 5E either but I'd hate it probably even more).

...which, according to Mearls, means I'm technically playing the turd as intended.
That is Mearls's excuse for everything. Mearls is basically says there is no problem because rule zero. Mearls is really falling for the Oberoni Fallacy or rather using the Oberoni Fallacy as an explanation.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Some extra Feats and HP make the game not 5e? That's all it takes?
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

radthemad4 wrote:Rise of the Runelords, as their archetypical AP, or Savage Tide, though it's a surprisingly flexible railroad through the 2nd pirate attack on the Isle of Dread.
Are you still planning on doing this?
Took a bunch of notes, started something else, started something else, got hooked on a fucking facebook game (time-limit quests, eh, that shit should be in your D&D), worked up spreadsheets for optimising time spent on said facebook game, realised how insane that is, got into the 3.0 review. Where I'm on the equipment chapter, which, like, pfft.

Yeh. Savage Tide is incredibly linear within the modules and most are only loosely connected to the others. Like, obviously the family you start with should be pirates (noble privateers, perhaps), and you're in a pirate mob-war situation starting on the prirate island off the coast of the Isle of Dread. That still lets you pick sides and do all the buried-treasure-hunting shit at the start. You can be pirates, or undercover agents of the crown, a scarlet pimpernel, a slave crew, a local ambassador, a mercenary, a cultist, a mutant. Heaps of options.

The whole devil-worshipping thing needs to be introduced much earlier, the village cult needs tied into one of the pirate families. The keystone monsters in the series need referenced earlier too, a Skum brood seen dealing with surface folk and slipping away, an Ettin working for a "family business".

Once you're settled on the main island though (there's plenty of plot lines to follow, once you establish yourselves as head of the pirates, at the least sorting out the black pearl issues and dealing to the cult) it's mostly a matter of setting up foreboding about level-appropriateness around the added clues, as some of the set pieces are deadly enough if found at the right time.

As I recall from a quick check, later on there's a bunch of talky stuff with demon lords which you could obviously do much earlier as you don't fight much of anything anyway. Introducing Her earlier has got to be good for your game. It's the proper clue webs that allow that sort of thing to turn up early or late depending on what takes the player's interest, and … I'm not sure.

The encounters themselves could do with some work, a bunch more stuff would make sense shuffled around a bit on the map, do a bit more cross-module integration, be good to put up a bunch of notes at least. Need to map it all out a bit better to move on, get a proper directed graph going. Should google around and see what's out there.
Last edited by tussock on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.