500 word challenge

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

Post by erik »

erik wrote:Shocker Lizards!
I blame reading this thread on my phone and missing key details. Also I'm way out there on the fringe since I don't acknowledge the errata where Shocker Lizards were changed from having Int 5 to Int 2 (in 3e, and then perpetuated in 3.5). Moving on.

Races that confound me:
Harpies
- are they all female? what's up with that? is their sole raison d'etre singing at people

Locathah
- why bother with them? they are the blandest, most useless fish people known to Dagon. they even have 2 humanoid HD ensuring that nobody in the history of ever will play one
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Dwarves and Kobolds don't fit the spirit of the challenge at all. Sure, I'd like to see cool fluff about them, but there is absolutely no doubting that they can be fleshed out into something interesting. Also: Dwarves have already gotten two full monologues totaling over a thousand words a piece in the cultures thread.

If I can throw one on the pile, it'd probably just be to meaningfully distinguish between all these different fish people. The Tritons, Mermaids, and Sea Elves all have extremely similar design space. Since Mermaid legends are the source of the friendly aquatic race tropes, we can make an interesting race just by letting them keep those, and Sea Elves already got a bit of a writeup in Races of War, so I'll make my official challenge giving the Tritons something to do that doesn't badly overlap with Mermaids.
Last edited by Chamomile on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Derro. Who are not drow.

I am betting no one cares about the Rilkan from Magic of Incarnum.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Okay, hit me. Locathah.

Sure, they're Fish People and you get a lot of stuff with that for free, but show me why I should use Locathah instead of some cooler or more faerytale fish-man like a Sahuagin, Kua-Toa, Merman or Sea Elf.

If you'll take more than one request, Sivs, the lawful frog-men from Monsters of Faerun, aways struck me as the epitome of a pointless humanoid race -they're literally Bullywugs, but lawful. Why do you need an entry for that?
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Occluded Sun wrote:A fresh look at Dwarves would be invaluable. Seriously, dwarves are always played the same. Usually with a Scots accent, too.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_W ... s_Remember

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_W ... the_Cycles
Last edited by Lokathor on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

This is actually pretty hard for me because I automatically forget about any races I don't find narratively or mechanically interesting. So, hm.

The evil humans and halflings from BOVD? Quarter page treatment is fine too.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Damnit Lokathor, why you got to link to the crappy wiki?
For the actual thread - Dragonborn, Grippli (or frog people in general, though I suspect most of them would get Water Orc treatment after general frog people is done), or a second vote for Illumians.
Last edited by TarkisFlux on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

TarkisFlux wrote:Damnit Lokathor, why you got to link to the crappy wiki?
For the actual thread - Dragonborn, Grippli (or frog people in general, though I suspect most of them would get Water Orc treatment after general frog people is done), or a second vote for Illumians.
I usually give Grippli a pass for having cool art. 3.5 Dragonborn are less a race and more a knightly order. They also have some potential in that they are always reborn as adults, no matter their previous age, and will live at least 400 more years before dying of old age.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

The Giff are pretty easy, IMO, and I think I'm going to give them a shot if Frank doesn't mind.
LeadPal
Apprentice

Post by LeadPal »

The Athach could use some love. It's a hill giant with an extra arm and a poison bite, and... that's all we know about it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:Grimlocks

Grimlocks have rock hard skin and only vestigial eyes. They can barely feel pain and cannot feel cold at all. Grimlocks cannot see, but can hear and feel vibrations well enough to detect and navigate their surroundings out to modest distances (which are sufficient for their usual underground homes). Grimlocks have never needed warmth or light and have not developed clothing or fire. They eat meat whenever they can, and prefer the flesh of sapient people when they can get it.

Grimlocks do not appear to suffer ill effects from eating raw meat or people. Rancid smells do not bother them, and the Grimlocks trade or make war upon the Troglodytes with impunity.
Um.
SRD, Grimlock wrote: Size/Type: Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Battleaxe +4 melee (1d8+3/×3)
Full Attack: Battleaxe +4 melee (1d8+3/×3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Blindsight 40 ft., immunities (sight based effects), scent
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +4, Hide +3*, Listen +5, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness, TrackB
Environment: Underground
Organization: Gang (2-4), pack (10-20), tribe (10-60 plus 1 leader of 3rd-5th level per 10 adults).
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard coins; standard goods (gems only); standard items
Alignment: Often neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2
Are you just adding in the environmental cold immunity and rocky skin and insensitivity to trog scent? I mean, as I was reading it, I kinda figured that I just didn't remember those things because the book didn't make them interesting enough to retain such tidbits. But checking, those things are completely non-existant.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

virgil wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:In truth, they have had elemental water introduced to their blood, granting them the ability to breathe water and have limited control of the element – but also giving the Marids greater sway over them.
I'm being persnickety, but this is marginally different from official water orcs, who get a swim speed and no ability to breathe water. Still, the cultural write-up fits.
It's fair game. Water breathing on a PC race is a flavor ability. Either your whole party can survive under water somehow and you go raid the sahuagin, or someone cannot and you stay on dry land.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

A more interesting Jermlaine, please.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Orion wrote:Frank,

What did the Kalashtar get out of this deal with the Qori? Was having no afterlife really bugging them that much? To be honest it sounds like the afterlife they bought themselves is not that great and they ruined their regular lives to get it.
Well, getting an afterlife at all is a pretty big deal. People sign up for some pretty shitty forms of immortality in D&D-land, and I can't really blame them. Note that even this "getting something" out of the deal is a retcon by me. The original text on the Kalashtar is equal parts bland and confusing. They merged with the evil Qori souls "for no reason," and have extra psionic power points "for no reason." Also, they are usually Lawful Good, possibly because the author forgot that the Qori souls are a bunch of villains in the setting? I have no fucking idea. They have no flavor, they make no sense, and what few pieces of information exist about them appear on first, second, and third reading to directly contradict themselves.
zeruslord wrote:The Giff are pretty easy, IMO, and I think I'm going to give them a shot if Frank doesn't mind.
Go for it. It's a race with thick skin and tiny ears who love explosions. Presumably their alchemists managed to discover nitrocellulose without killing themselves. All you have to do is downplay the corny British Empire jokes from Spelljammer and it practically writes itself.
Prak wrote:Are you just adding in the environmental cold immunity and rocky skin and insensitivity to trog scent?
Those are implied in their old writeups. Grimlocks have been kicking around in D&D since 1981, so there's actually a lot of material on them. Some of it's contradictory, but you can hack something together out of it. The 3e writeup leaves out all the interesting stuff, and the 4e writeup tries to get us to accept them as paragon level opponents, which is just frickin bizarre.
RobbyPants wrote:Bladelings (MMII p31); the spiky EL 1 outsiders from Acheron.
Sure. They were introduced in 2nd edition as a "big mystery," but as far as I know the other shoe of that mystery was never dropped. You were supposed to go searching for the lost home of the Bladelings or maybe discover the terrifying truth of what they had escaped from, but since there was never any hint as to what it might be, the whole race just got a "who cares?" They chillaxed in their city covered with blood wood to keep out the constant storm of razor ice, and they didn't want to talk to you and you didn't want to go to Ocanthus, and that was that.

Bladelings

The Bladelings have bodies that are composed of thin layers of ice, bone, and iron pressed together like the layers of an onion. If a limb is amputated, the stump has rings of hard and brittle materials not unlike the rings of a tree. Deep in the core, they have a yellow and viscous fluid not unlike mineral oil that appears to be their hemolymph. The exterior layers of a Bladeling are dry and cracked and very sharp. A Bladeling must shed their outer layers every few days, and once a day they can choose to shed them explosively, sending razor sharp shards in all directions. They are clearly the result of a biology unknown to any world in known space.

What Bladelings are known mostly live in the Acheron watershed, but they came as religious pilgrims and refugees from some farther star. The communities they established were led by priestesses, who as the communities settled into permanent cities became elevated to queens without losing their religious authority. Their religion is centered on placating and avoiding a group of powerful fiend lords from a world they call the Crucible.

Bladelings were originally opposed quite strongly in their quest to move into the wilderness of Ocanthus by Rust Dragons. For several hundred years, the Rust Dragons fought with a tenacity and ferocity that is unusual even for them. Rust Dragons who said anything about their war described stopping the spread of Bladelings to be more important than survival. However, after a few centuries, they abruptly ceased all anti-Bladeling activities, though no peace treaty appears to have been signed.

Bladelings brought no pets or livestock with them from their homeland. They are literally omnivorous, able to gain sustenance from meat and wood and even iron filings. Since their arrival in Acheron, they have made pacts with Achaierai and Steel Predators and these beasts live among them. Bladeling lumberjacks farm the Bloodwood itself, bringing chunks of wood and flesh from the trees to market. Bladeling cuisine is considered inedible or at least disgusting by most races in the galaxy.

The Bladelings do not proselytize, their city states are theocratic, but non-Bladelings are neither required nor encouraged to give prayers to the “Shadow Over The Sun.” Almost all of the clergy of Bladeling society are female, but there appears to be no special rule to enforce this. Male Bladelings definitely can take priestly orders, but most of them don't.

While not particularly common, Bladelings have now been accepted as a normal minority of Acheronian worlds. Their customs, food, religion, and method of speech are openly mocked by more numerous peoples, but there haven't been rules forbidding them in any major kingdom for a hundred years.

-452 words

-Username17
sarcasmoverdose
Apprentice

Post by sarcasmoverdose »

Crystal dwarf:
https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030926a

Basically just "BESTEST WIZARD/PSION EVAR", dwarf flavor.
Last edited by sarcasmoverdose on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Re: Kalashtar

There is actually a full backstory for them in Races of Eberron. It goes like this.

Dal Quor is the realm of dreams. The heart of it is the Quor Tarai which influences the whole of the plane and created the Quori. If it dies, a new one will spring into being and change the nature of the Quori and the plane. The current Quor Tarai makes Dal Quor a nightmare, this is why the Quori are evil. However, a few Quori do not like the state of Dal Quor. One of them made a prophesy that when the current Quor Tarai dies, the next one will make Dal Quor a happy place. He led the other good Quori in attempting to begin the new age, they lost, they ran, they sought and were granted sanctuary in the minds of some monks. Now each of them is spread across hundreds of minds. The other Quori possessed humans and are trying to kill all the kalashtar. So they are still fighting over the future of the dreaming.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Prak wrote:Are you just adding in the environmental cold immunity and rocky skin and insensitivity to trog scent?
Those are implied in their old writeups. Grimlocks have been kicking around in D&D since 1981, so there's actually a lot of material on them. Some of it's contradictory, but you can hack something together out of it. The 3e writeup leaves out all the interesting stuff, and the 4e writeup tries to get us to accept them as paragon level opponents, which is just frickin bizarre.
Ah, gotcha. I was wondering if that might be the case. There's honestly a lot of interesting fluff in older books that unfortunately got left out of 3e.

Also, on the subject of shock lizards... what about Shock Lizardfolk? These should totally be a thing.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Occluded Sun wrote:A fresh look at Dwarves would be invaluable. Seriously, dwarves are always played the same. Usually with a Scots accent, too.
Look at the "interesting fantasy races" thread. There are at least three new and coherent takes in dwarves there.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Starmaker wrote:It's fair game. Water breathing on a PC race is a flavor ability. Either your whole party can survive under water somehow and you go raid the sahuagin, or someone cannot and you stay on dry land.
That's not justification for giving a race water breathing when it normally doesn't. And if it is, then grimlocks, dwarves, and loxo can breathe water because that reasoning applies equally. Aquatic orcs can survive underwater, but water orcs cannot and AFAIK the latter didn't exist until 3e.

As I said earlier, that's not a trait that changes the writeup, since they live on an island chain; so it's not like the thing is invalidated one way or the other.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

Killoren, from Races of the Wild.
I always thought they were one of the better fey/plant people, but the original fluff is absolutely boring and I would love to see a writeup for them. Maybe new mechanics as well.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Giff are actually somewhat hard mode, because their core concept (Anthropomorphic British Space Hippos) is what twists panties.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Locathah are indeed fairly perplexing. They aren't hostile, appear to have nothing you want, and are involved with no major plot points. They don't even have their own pantheon, sharing as they do the same creator god as a different and more interesting race of fish people. We can of course, change that.

Locathah

The Locathah are a fairly recently created species, having been called into existence just a few hundred years ago by the god Eadro. Deities rarely create races of people anymore, and it is a level one intervention which must be OKed by all the other gods lest it be in violation of the Pact Primevel. Eadro was so convinced of the necessity of creating the Locathah that he agreed to give up his portfolio of prophecy in order to be permitted the opportunity to do so. While they are humanoid in general body plan, every part of the Locathah is distinctly icthic. They don't have webbed fingers so much as fins that can be used as (quite nimble) hands.

Locathah are quick studies and are completely self aware about the fact that other races have had thousands if not millions of years to find solutions to problems, and they copy the works of other races wherever they can. Sometimes this mimicry is little more than the workings of cargo cults, and Locathah have been known to pile rocks at the bottom of the sea in crude imitation of the castles of land dwelling races (yet seemingly wholly pointless in a water medium). Still, the adoption of the ways of other races is not without fruit and the Locathah have mastered crossbows and metal working based on careful observation.

Locathah males and females look almost identical, differing only in the egg sack lines of the females. They are adapted to the water and are clumsy on land, but their resilient gills can handle air just fine. Locathah are comfortable in shallow water whether it is salty or sweet.

Locathah society is an odd mix of the modern and the primitive. The Locathah language is simple and has few words. It is for them the dawn of time, and they are hunter gatherers with no traditions or maps. Not knowing where they should or should not go, the Locathah often run afoul of the war parties of the Sahuagin or the fishing nets of surface dwellers. But they also attempt and even accomplish tasks “everyone knows” can't be done. In just a few generations, Locathah have domesticated the giant moray and weaponized the manowar.

Locathah have not mastered a year round food supply, and most groups of Locathah move to a new location every season. In each new place, they sample the local plants and scour the bottom for shell fish. Jellyfish are sacred to Locathah, and some simply travel wherever the jellyfish are taken by the currents, searching for food and points of interest along the way.

The Sea Elven art of coral shaping has been copied with substantial success by the Locathah. While nowhere near as elegant or beautiful as the Elven coral architecture, Locathah construction is considerably more resilient and takes much less time to produce.

-478 words

-Username17
RufusCorvus
Apprentice

Post by RufusCorvus »

Antariuk wrote:Killoren, from Races of the Wild.
I always thought they were one of the better fey/plant people, but the original fluff is absolutely boring and I would love to see a writeup for them. Maybe new mechanics as well.
I second the Killoren. I've always liked their art.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

These are cool, so far. I'd actually be willing to use things like Locathath or Grimlocks in a game now.

Admittedly, I did quickly search the SRD for monsters that are kind of boring or where there are like nine of the bastards that are all similar, but it turns out the different versions of Bad Dog (Hell Hound, Winter Wolf, Barghest, Yeth Hound, Worg) actually do have enough flavour text that anyone could make something from it. Eerie Yeth Hound packs that float from the clouds and are the "dog that haunts graveyards" everyone knows about, Barghests and Worgs have the Goblin thing going on... there isn't enough text for them that they leap out and you remember which one is which, but at least they have something that Mister Cavern could use to kick things off.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Pardon if this counts as "racist", but what about the Lumi? (D&D 3.5 Monster Manual III, pg. 98-99)

I once found them so dumb, I now like them, and totally want to play one someday (albeit modifying the racial statblock drastically to exclude racial HD & other bits in order to make it playable). I'd also suggest the Quaraphon(MM3 pg129), but they're pretty generic as generic things go, but change of pace from other centaur-races.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History