Ninja of Crescent Moon or Shao Disciple?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Ninja of Crescent Moon or Shao Disciple?

Post by fbmf »

Player of mine has a straight rogue that he wants to also be good in a straight fight, a la Batman. I think "Batman", when he has to straight fight, can do so because his levell is so much higher than the CR he is facing.

Anyway, the guys initial thought was to go further into Monk, but I'm trying to talk him out of that. If he has to deviate from Rogue (He is currently Rogue 10/Monk 1, Human) I'd rather see him go Shao Disciple, which is Monk-like but where the damage is only five levels long, or into NotCM where he can at least carry on his rogue sneak attack. (I think. IDHMBIFOM.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Game On,
fbmf
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Re: Ninja of Crescent Moon or Shao Disciple?

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

Why did he take monk in the 1st place? Might make it easier to see what fits his PC concept.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

When you come down to it, Rogue levels make you pretty good in combat, and Monk Levels honestly don't. So I'm a little at a loss as to why he doesn't just take more Rogue levels.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Me too. But work with me here. He is pretty much determined to do this, and I at least want to give him the lesser of two evils.

Hanged Man, a darker Batman, sort of a Riddick-type is his goal. He took the level of monk for the flurry so he can do real damage sneak attacks with his bare hands for lethal damage.

Game On,
fbmf
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

Got it. Here's a thought for you. I like Shao a lot better than NotCM, but the SA progression is pretty hard to miss out on. WOuld you let the player take the PrC, and let him blow a feat or some class skill to get SA?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

My initial reaction is "no", but, then again, if he is willing to blow a feat on an extra d6 of sneak attack, what can I say?

So what if I was? You think SD then?

Game On,
fbmf
The_Hanged_Man
Knight-Baron

Post by The_Hanged_Man »

The thing is, that level of monk really gimps him, and adding to it w/ monk PrC's just adds to it. Just IMO, I'd add something to SD.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

If the monkish route must be taken, then I'd probably go with Shou Disciple and substitute SA dice for the bonus feats (page 58 of Unearthed Arcana implies that each die of sneak attack is worth a Fighter's bonus feat).

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

(page 58 of Unearthed Arcana implies that each die of sneak attack is worth a Fighter's bonus feat).

Thus implying that on some level they understand how many toes to the pants the Core Fighter gets.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I think he's going to stick with Rogue from now on, but I appreciate the input.

Game On,
fbmf