Amalur-style character generation/advancement?

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ferret
Knight

Amalur-style character generation/advancement?

Post by Ferret »

Has anybody done any poking at this? I enjoyed it in the game, and I kinda like the 'your stats are a reflection of what you do' style of character structure.

For the uninitiated, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was an action-RPG for 360/PS3.

Your character was defined as follows:

There are three realms of Skills: Might, Finesse, and Magic.

In each realm of skills, there is a collection of skill trees. Each skill can have multiple points invested in it, and spending more points in one realm of skills unlocked higher/more powerful tiers of skills.

Your base stats like Health, Endurance, and Mana were influenced by how many points you had in the associated realm of Skills (lots of points in Might skills gave high HP, but because you had little in the way of Magic skills your mana was low/zero).

On top of this system, there existed a Fates mechanic (represented in the game by Fate cards, which unlocked at various skill point totals). These Fates gave a collection of passive bonuses reflecting that particular skill mix, and also changed some of the base mechanics slightly (I.e. the normal 'dodge' effect is a leaping roll; a high Magic skill unlocks Fates which change this from a roll into a short range at-will teleport effect. Higher levels might even add a damage effect to enemies in your teleport path).

Anybody found/used/created a similar mechanic for tabletop?