I need some cool attack names.

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

I need some cool attack names.

Post by Lago_AM3P »

This is game system agnostic, by the way.

Right now, I'm trying to design a character who has a large arsenal of debuffing moves transmitted by martial art strikes or mere touch. Unlike the weakness of debuffs in most other games, the debuffs the uses are so general that it's worth the risk for them.

I've been playing Yu-Gi-Oh GX: Tag Force lately so the common theme I've been using is '(Abstract Subset of Abilities) (Synonym for Destroy) Virus'. For example:

Holistic Hellfire Virus- Robs the character of control of extremities, such as paralyzing the arms, slowing down heartrate, blinding them, etc.

Prana Pulverizing Virus- Negates any supernatural effects that change their form or displaces their life form: i.e. forcing a person who's encased in stone to return to normal, destroying all of a person's duplicates, ending astral projection, instantly curing vampires, etc.

So on.

Of course, if you just have cool attack names that don't fit that theme at all, that's cool, too. Post that shiz.
Leress
Prince

Re: I need some cool attack names.

Post by Leress »

I believe this site maybe useful for getting attack names

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-anim.php
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

DHWKS - The user yells out "Decapitating Hurricane Windmill Kick Surprise!" then performs the splits and punches his opponent in the crotch.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

DHWKS - The user yells out "Decapitating Hurricane Windmill Kick Surprise!" then performs the splits and punches his opponent in the crotch.

Johnny Cage didn't name this one and I agree with his design theory.

Some attacks just speak for themselves.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I barely played Mortal Kombat, and I never read any portion of an MK strategy guide for anyone but Sub Zero. Did I miss something while hiding under my rock?

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Johnny Cage seriously had a move where he does the splits and punches his foe in the crotch. To any male non-boss foe, it deals a respectable amount of damage and stuns them for, IIRC, about long enough to hit them with an uppercut or something.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

OK then. I'm not withdrawing my suggestion though. Maybe I'll make another...

Vicious Squid Maneuver - Taught to our hero by the Shark Wrestler. The user uses his legs to grapple onto a shark's dors or vent and punches the fish's gills 'till it passes out from trauma. On a humanoid, the user grapples his opponent from behind and either beats him across the head or slams the spine.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The Bastard!! comic and movie has some seriously wicked spell names.
Namely, after death metal/rock bands, artists, albums, and song titles.

They aren't really complex, usually cast by quoting a measure of song lyric, and then screaming the band name/artist in a huge font.
Much explosions and flesh-melting usually ensue.

For instance, clench your right fist, thrust it upwards slightly, and growl
DAMNED!!!
The ground explodes under the target.
Flesh boils and shreds away, then sucked into Hell.

Bastard is.. just... wow.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

umm... that spell was Venom, Damned is a spell used to clear out the cannon fodder. The great spells of the manga are Venom, Harrowing and Megadeth
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1188764515[/unixtime]]umm... that spell was Venom, Damned is a spell used to clear out the cannon fodder. The great spells of the manga are Venom, Harrowing and Megadeth

Download this Volume 5 set:

http://www.mangahelpers.com/forums/show ... br][br]And go to page "bas05_145" in chapter "Emotion".
"bas05_147" in the following chapter "Triumph" is where the zombie's flesh melts.

You're probably right, it is a weaker spell, but cool nonetheless. Venom is much better >_<
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Heh, Guilty Gear (a fantastic fighting game) did the same thing. Practically everything in it is a rock/metal reference. The most powerful attack in the game (aside from the instant-death moves) was the Gamma Ray (named after an album), which, well, fires an enormous gamma ray at the enemy.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Kitten Cannon - The user empties a bog full of kittens and starts kicking them to his opponents.

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

My favourite special attack ever was from planescape torment where you could cast a spell that forced a bunch of modrons to fire the deathstar cannon through a portal at whatever you where fighting.

That was cool. The cutscene was awesome.

Name was lame - something like 'Mechanus Cannon' or similar.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

cthulhu at [unixtime wrote:1188865651[/unixtime]]My favourite special attack ever was from planescape torment where you could cast a spell that forced a bunch of modrons to fire the deathstar cannon through a portal at whatever you where fighting.

That was cool. The cutscene was awesome.

Name was lame - something like 'Mechanus Cannon' or similar.

Aha so THAT is why we don't see modrons any more in MMs..

Anyways, a friend had an idea for Rune Magic in d20. Each Rune was a seperate, basic yet versatile spell, probably encompassing multiple spells of lesser power as a 3.5e equivalant like Shadow Evocation.
Combine the Runes, and greater power is reached. Each Rune had a Futhark match and syllable, which was spoken, and the compound spells were simply multiple Runes in a string.