Some feats I whipped up for a Tome Series game

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Some feats I whipped up for a Tome Series game

Post by Prak »

Hey, want'd to post these here for balance analysis and suggestions, so post 'em if you've got 'em, I guess. :smile: any help would be greatly appreciated.
Acquire Familiar (Magic or Combat)
A character may set Acquire Familiar to scale by Caster Level or BAB. If they choose CL they can only choose familiars which require CL as a prerequisite, if they choose BAB, they can only chose familiars that require BAB as a prerequisite. Either scale allows familiars which require both, and either scale allows familiars to increase in size or masters to accumulate more familiars.
You have some creature that follows you around, gets things from shelves for you and occasionally fights off obnoxious goblins and kobolds while you’re casting the game ending spell.
CL/BAB 0: You have some small animal (about Tiny or Diminutive size category) that follows you about. It is imbued with greater intelligence than normal for it’s type (it has Int 3) and is a magical beast rather than an animal.
CL/BAB 1: Your familiar advances as that of a wizard or sorcerer of your caster level.
CL/BAB 6: You may choose a new familiar from a small list of more powerful creatures. Either you dismiss your old familiar or it turns into the new creature really doesn’t matter, and can completely depend on your character. The character must have the Caster level or BAB (and occasionally both) indicated on the chart, and can be no more than one step away from the indicated alignment on each axis (good-evil and law-chaos). To select a familiar with an elemental or energy subtype, the master must have at least one Spell, Spell Like, Supernatural or Extraordinary ability of the same type. Alternatively, your familiar can become bigger (advance it by sufficient HD to make it's CR 3 less than your own, and increase it's size one category larger), or you can gain an additional normal one.
Improved Familiars
Familiar Type/Subtype or AL Caster Level and/or BAB Source
Anarchic Creature Chaotic 3rd Planar Handbook
Axiomatic Creature Lawful 3rd Planar Handbook
Celestial Hawk(1) Good 3rd MM
Fiendish Tiny Viper(2) Evil 3rd MM
Krenshar N 3rd and +3 MM
Worg NE 3rd and +3 MM
Copper Asp - 3rd Drg 341
Razor Hawk - 3rd Drg 341
Shocker Lizard Electricity or N 5th MM
Stirge N 5th MM
Air elemental, small Air 5th MM
Earth elemental, small Earth 5th MM
Fire elemental, small Fire 5th MM
Water elemental, small Water 5th MM
Blink Dog LG 5th and +5 MM
Hell Hound LE 5th and +5 MM
Crystal Cat - 5th Drg 341
Glass Dragonfly - 5th Drg 341
Salvage Rat - 5th Drg 341
Xeg-yi N CL 7th MotP
Xag-ya N CL 7th MotP
Xac-Yel N, Fire CL 8th Planar Handbook
Xac-Yij N, Air CL 8th Planar Handbook
Xap-Yaup N, Electricity CL 8th Planar Handbook
Xong-Yong N, Sonic CL 8th Planar Handbook
Xor-Yost N, Cold CL 8th Planar Handbook
Formian Worker LN 7th MM
Imp LE 7th MM
Psuedodragon NG 7th MM
Quasit CE 7th MM
Homunculus(3) Undead 7th MM
Mephit Varies 7th MM
Hippogriff N 7th and +7 MM
Howler CE 7th and +7 MM
Winter Wolf LE 7th and +7 MM
Spark Guardian - 7th CW
Erudite Owl - 7th Drg 341
Mercurial Spider - 7th Drg 341
Gauntlet Guardian - 9th CW
Blade Guardian - 11th CW
1-Or other celestial animal from the standard familiar list.
2-Or other fiendish animal from the standard familiar list.
3-The master must first create the homunculus, substituting ichor or another part of the master’s body for blood if necessary.

CL 11/BAB: Choose one spell you know or can cast, your familiar can cast this spell as a spell like ability a number of time equal to 10-spell level per day.
CL 16/BAB: Your familiar gains a template from the following list, following the same guidelines as above, alternatively, your familiar becomes bigger (advance it’s HD enough to make it one size category larger).
Template AL or Type/Subtype Source
Ghost Undead MM
Half Celestial Good MM
Half Fiend Evil MM
Half Dragon Air, Cold, Earth, Fire or Water MM
Vampire Undead MM
Umbral Creature Undead LM
Entropic Creature Negative Energy Planar Handbook
Vivacious Creature Positive Energy Planar Handbook
Cold Creature Cold Drg 347
Magma Creature Earth, Fire Drg 347
Ooze Creature Earth, Water Drg 347
Smoke Creature Air, Fire Drg 347
Air Creature Air MotP
Earth Creature Earth MotP
Fire Creature Fire MotP
Water Creature Water MotP
Arcane-Blood Creature(1) - Drg 350
Poisonous Creature(1) - Drg 350
Stonebone Creature(1) - Drg 350
Corrupted Creature - Drg 350
1-The familiar also gains Evolved from the same article as a bonus feat.

Sacrificial Mastery (Skill: Knowledge [Religion])
You know how to trade with the dark gods in the tender of flesh.
Initial Benefit: You may perform sacrifices to receive awards as per the sacrifice rules in Book of Vile Darkness.
4: You gain a +5 competance bonus to Knowledge (Religion) checks made as part of a sacrifice. Further more, you may take an appropriate amount of time and create an area to be considered an alter dedicated to a dark god for the purposes of sacrifice check bonuses. Creatures of Medium size or smaller require one full round of preparation, Large creatures require two full rounds of preparation, Huge creatures require four full rounds, etc. Two creatures of the same size count as being a single creature of one size category larger for the purposes of preparing an alter and can be sacrificed together on a suitably large alter.

and I've kinda run out of ideas for the rest of the benefits for that one... I've also got an Astrology feat tied to an issue of Dragon coming as soon as I sit down to write it...
so any comments or suggestions?
Last edited by Prak on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Re: Some feats I whipped up for a Tome Series game

Post by MrWaeseL »

Spell-like abilities without restrictions are a baaad idea. Hello there, Wish-granting familiar!
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Seeing as how you'd have to wait 'till level 18 to take the feat, and it would count as an XP-less Wish, thus lowering the abuseability, it doesn't seem so bad. I'm sure there're some spells that this would be too powerful when combined with, but I can't think of any off-hand, 'cept Miracle of course.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

It wouldn't have to be an XP-less wish. That's only in the Tome series.

EDIT: Should've read the title:bricks:
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Aren't (Magic), (Combat), and (Skill) feats going to be unbalanced in a non-Tomes game regardless of XP free wishes?
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

The spell-like ability has a restriction. It can only be use a number of times per day equal to ten minus the spell level. It says it right there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

thank you! yes people, that means your familiar can use wish, but it's only once a day, so make it good! and like it really matters in a game when chain-binding and face-stabbing of efreets for wishes is expected...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Having alignment subtype restrictions on familiars: OK (although good wizard/imp familiar can be fun).
Having other subtype restrictions on familiars: Bad.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

meh, wasn't so attached to the subtype restriction. it's gone.

shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Why wouldn't everybody get a Positive Energon (Xag-Yi I think) in their pants?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

cause not everyone thinks about their healing abilities...

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I always like to choose a Mephit for my Improved Familiar. Simply because I think they're cool.

Then I feel like I wasted a feat. Especially when they die. This feat is a lot nicer.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, that year and a day rule is stupid, and a joke. And when I say joke, I mean like material components. It's a reference to the amount of time it supposedly takes for an initiate in wicca to actually study enough and decide that wicca is really for them and become an actual wiccan. Or something like that. I know it's a reference to occult stupidity, and it's not a funny one, just like material components. If your familiar dies, you should be able to go right out and get a new one, none of this rules-enforced rp-ing that doesn't make sense, and forces you to go a year of game time without a class ability. I think that if your character is in mourning for his familiar, you'll roleplay it just fine, and you should get some form of ability to take the place of the familiar until such time as you get a new one. Now, I haven't worked that in, but I think if you lose your familiar and want to wait before taking another one, it should be perfectly fine for you to grab a different magic feat that fills in for your familiar.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

But wouldn't that make sense? D&D frowns on that.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It also thinks raping folk lore is fun... I however, don't....:tongue: