Ramblings: Coming up with a gaming system. A LARPing gaming

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Ramblings: Coming up with a gaming system. A LARPing gaming

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Okay, so I've got this LARPing bug, which makes sense since it combines a pile of things that I like to do.

I can get to camp, hike, get exercise, get my adrenaline pumping by running around, pretend that I can ... I can at least pretend that I can pretend to kick ass*, there's also the meeting of new people and working with them to achieve a 'goal'.

*: (if you run around in massive armour with weapons, you look the ass-kikcing part, if you've got all your points in 'alchemy' and you're not even making potions, you'll have to pretend that you can kick booty; I'm seriously not making any of this shit up, at my second event I ran around in... 50-ish ablative hitpoints from armour, but I wasn't able to use my alchemy skill since I didn't have ingredients).

Right now I'm just modifing the EPOCH ruleset that I've been using, I won't even try to use that piece of shit NERO system's mechanics, since they bone you, and then bone you again and again.

Races

-elves don't pay double to get extra HP; that's retarded
-Dwarves get to pay 1/2 for bonus hp like Orcs; encourage fighting dwarves

Combat

-Damage 'calling'; each call has to take about a second (or the time it takes to say "one steamboats" as it were); none of this dumb "five metal, five metal, five metal" machine-gunned talk in one second.

-Striking basics (no head, groin or 'boobie' shots. b/c they hurt)

-the system needs more in-game options for fighters

Alchemy

-recipes should be researchable in some manner in game; either by spending ingredients to attempt to make an alchemical material or in-game currency

Magic

-I'm fine with sheilds boning spell packets and melee strikes
-every element needs a damage spell
-healing isn't earth magic anymore
-healing is a magical ability that any mage can pick up and can burn any mana on; the mana that they use can heal for the amount of tiers that they have at their disposal, so no more of this "I'm out of earth mana", now any mage can heal. There's any number of ways that this can be explained flavourfully.
-earth gets massive toughness boosts and a boost to its ability to fix up busted armour; it also gains damage spells (not that they're ever used, but w/e)

'Crafting'/Smithing

The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.