Feat based skill progression

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

Feat based skill progression

Post by ckafrica »

This is stolen from the SAGA preview but is the start of an idea i'm trying to work out where you have a single class and then use feats (lots of them) to determine what your character can do.

Feat based Skill Progression

Skills have three different levels: untrained, trained and expert. The bonus the receive to their skill checks is based on the character’s level and his level of training based on the chart below.
Level Untrained Trained Expert
1 0 3 6
2 1 3 7
3 1 4 7
4 2 5 8
5 2 5 9
6 3 6 10
7 3 7 10
8 4 7 11
9 4 8 12
10 5 9 13
11 5 9 13
12 6 10 14
13 6 11 15
14 7 11 16
15 7 12 16
16 8 13 17
17 8 13 18
18 9 14 19
19 9 15 19
20 10 15 20

Skill training is increased by taking the feats Skill Training and Skill Expertise in a particular skill. Skill Training and character level 5 are prerequisites for Skill Expertise.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
ckafrica
Duke

Re: Feat based skill progression

Post by ckafrica »

Crap why don't charts work on the bloody forums....

Way I see it is skills will be linked with feats to show what you can do. So question is what skills should we have. Any ideas please contribute this is just a start

Combat skills
unarmed
large blades
light blades
hafted (axes, maces, pick, flail etc...)
polearms
crossbow/firearms
bows
thrown
Reflexe/defence
Fortitude/damage threshold
willpower/social

Normal Skill: consolidation good idea???

stealth (hide+MS)
deception (bluff+sleight of hand)
perception (listen search spot)
disable device (+open lock)
atheletics (swim, climb, jump)
Acrobatics (balance, tumbling)

Magic skills
not moved on this yet but thinking that it would be broken up into schools or some other manner of division based on type (maybe like the spheres in MAGE?)

The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

ckafrica at [unixtime wrote:1180868790[/unixtime]]Crap why don't charts work on the bloody forums....

Almost all forums I know of use some kind of base variable font. You need to go to a fixed based font for proper horizontal pretty printing. Some boards have the option to select the font and you can pick courrier which is a fixed font. Another option is the code block.

Code: Select all

01234567890[br]1 NW TN NE[br]2 TW    TE[br]3 SW TS SE

Code blocks are the best option because other systems will eliminate multiple concurrent spaces, although a good chart maker can get around this problem by not using spaces...
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

So, essentially, you like the Saga thing where all the skills are level scaling, but instead of having the bonuses be +5 and +10 from the getgo, you want them to scale. Instead of having a somewhat random chart, I suggest that you simply say that skill training gives a +3 bonus (increases to +4 at level x, +5 at level y) and skill expertise gives a +3 bonus (increases to +4 at level m, to +5 at level n).

I might suggest x=5, y=15, m=8, n=18, but they'd be fairly random suggestions.

As for magic, yes, you want a smallish number of school, spheres, or whatever. I would suggest around 4-10 of them. You could choose the elements, or the spell schools, or whatever. And yes, you will definitely need to consolidate the skills, or find another way to deal with the fact that skill training jump is way worse than skill training axes, or whatever.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

So, essentially, you like the Saga thing where all the skills are level scaling, but instead of having the bonuses be +5 and +10 from the getgo, you want them to scale. Instead of having a somewhat random chart, I suggest that you simply say that skill training gives a +3 bonus (increases to +4 at level x, +5 at level y) and skill expertise gives a +3 bonus (increases to +4 at level m, to +5 at level n).

I might suggest x=5, y=15, m=8, n=18, but they'd be fairly random suggestions.

Yeah it in some ways it was first introduced in UA but it would seem to streamline high level generation buy leaps and bounds. So say the guys who already have their hands on SW Saga. The progression is not random but .5, .67, .75 with a +2 and +5 onset bonus from trained and expert. but yoor way would also work.

yes, you will definitely need to consolidate the skills, or find another way to deal with the fact that skill training jump is way worse than skill training axes, or whatever.

Well my thought would be to again follow what saga says it does by give extra combat related actions that you can do for higher levels of training. Problem is I live nowhere near a rpg store and books are hard to send to vietnam so I need to hope someone posts the rules or come up with my own. Other thing will be to have skill feats that prereq trained levels so if you want the cool stuff you buy the skill training.

Again if any have ideas of skill sets and magic sets I'm all ears, magic will be lowish for what I'm imagining.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

On the general what do people think of the set skill progression idea as a whole. It seems to me that it would simplify. But does having every character in essence have all skills unbalance things. That any 6th level character would have the same chances of picking a lock as 1st level rogue be a problem?