[Speedbump] Subtype

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

AlphaNerd
Master

[Speedbump] Subtype

Post by AlphaNerd »

Some monsters are just there to prevent you from getting where you are trying to go, but aren't troublesome in and of themselves. Those monsters have the [Speedbump] Subtype.

Size and Type

A Speedbump's type and size do not change.

Hit Dice
Gain one HD of the same type, applying all commensurate changes. If the base monster is undead or a construct, increase the HD by two.

Speed and Armor Class and Attack and Full Attack and Damage and Special Attacks and Abilities and Skills..
As base creature.

Special Qualities
Hard to Kill -- Speedbump monsters have maximum hitpoints

No going around me! -- Speedbump monsters may make a 5' step as a immediate action.

Feats
Gain the Phalanx Fighter feat as a bonus feat. If the base creature already has the Phalanx Fighter feat, then it gets Iron Will as a bonus feat. If it has that too, it gets a bonus [Combat] Feat.

Challenge Rating
Same as base creature + 1. If the base creature is undead or a construct, then Same as base creature + 2.

Level Adjustment
Don't make sense, and this template isn't for player characters anyway.

Edited for formatting, and to acknowledge that this is better for undead and constructs (no con score)

Edited again for dealing with already having the Phalanx Fighter feat

Thoughts?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: [Speedbump] Subtype

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Sounds goot!
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

That's actually really powerful. Having Max Hp as opposed to average is a great deal for plus 1 CR.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Every template needs an LA
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

No, it really doesn't. It gives a CR increase, and that's enough.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I'd say thats worth an LA of +7, if not more.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1179267929[/unixtime]]No, it really doesn't. It gives a CR increase, and that's enough.

Maybe I'd want to play one.
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

Ok, maybe I'm being unclear... this is a template for the critters that a BBEG puts between you and him that try to prevent the hurty-types from getting too close. If you're playing a campaign where you are playing those kind of characters... I'm confused.

As for CR and LA adjustments, facing something with *double* base hitpoints should be not more than CR+2. CR+2 is reserved for actually having two of something. Sure, it's got some fancy moves, and an extra HD, but CR+1 is probably right on.

If you really want to play a character with this templete/subtype (I should really read up on those more and figure out what exactly this is), then I'm going to stick with what I've written, but call it a two level prestige class with no prereqs, and a 1d12 hit die, good BAB, and all good saves. Put the bonus feat first, and the max HP and the move second. I think that's not unreasonable in the RoW scheme of things. Let me know if I'm wrong.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

AlphaNerd wrote:As for CR and LA adjustments, facing something with *double* base hitpoints should be not more than CR+2. CR+2 is reserved for actually having two of something. Sure, it's got some fancy moves, and an extra HD, but CR+1 is probably right on.

Good point. I was also actually thinking of a greater stone golem when I posted, which you have since fixed.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Actually...

A Greater Stone Golem has a listed CR of 16. +1 for the Speedbump template, and it's a CR 17 monster. At that point, you're just Chain-Gating in Solars that are firing Arrows of Slaying (whatever it hits) like four times a round. Dead golem real fast. That makes hit points pretty useless, so making it another CR higher is a non-issue.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

AlphaNerd at [unixtime wrote:1179329608[/unixtime]]Ok, maybe I'm being unclear... this is a template for the critters that a BBEG puts between you and him that try to prevent the hurty-types from getting too close. If you're playing a campaign where you are playing those kind of characters... I'm confused.

Yeah, but now you're forcing your flavor on my game ;)

(I'm playing Devil's Advocate, but only a little)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

How about [gate guardian] subtype?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.