Help with spells

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Help with spells

Post by AndreiChekov »

I am attempting to write a class that uses Druidish spells, but has Bard progression. Trouble is, I've never really played Druids ever, so I have no idea what I'm looking for to make a reasonable spell list, and no real idea where to start looking.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

As a first approximation, just use the Druid list. It's pretty win already.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

If you do just use the Druid list, make sure your class have some other class features that make up for the reduced casting at higher levels. For example, when Bard casting yields a single 3rd-level spell at character level 8, the druid has three 3rd-level spells and two 4th-level spells.

The other option would be to cherry-pick spells that druids get access to around the same level. For example, you could make summon nature's ally 4 a 3rd-level spell so your bard-like caster can cast it once per day at the same level the druid can cast it twice per day. The 3rd-level spells would be a mix of Druid 3 and Druid 4 spells, the 4th-level spells would be a mix of Druid 5 and Druid 6 spells, the 5th-level spells would be the Druid 7 spells, and the 6th-level spells would be the Druid 8 spells (leaving 9th-level spell equivalents to the full casters). You could probably throw regenerate in at the same level as cure critical wounds even though it's listed as a 9th-level druid spell because it's actually pretty terrible.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Sure; but I'd start with "the Druid list" and tweak it from there, as opposed to doing something ground-up.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

I don't quite get the point of the exercise.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

rampaging-poet wrote:useful stuff
Thank you.
radiantphoenix wrote:I don't quite get the point of the exercise.
The point is that I am writing a home brew class that is something like what I think a ranger should be, and I need help with the spell list.
I'm calling it the Hart Warden. It has terrible puns in it with both heart and hart, and deer and dear.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

The class also gets the animal and plant domains, and gets domain spell slots that run on a different chassis from it's spontaneous casting. It's a work in progress. Probably a month from completion.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

If you're going to make "partial caster", I'd go with reducing horizontal spell progression rather than reducing vertical spell progression.
Spell level
Level0123456789
1infinity1
2infinity1
3infinity21
4infinity21
5infinity321
6infinity321
7infinity3321
8infinity3321
9infinity33321
10infinity33321
11infinity333321
12infinity333321
13infinity3333321
14infinity3333321
15infinity33333321
16infinity33333321
17infinity333333321
18infinity333333321
19infinity333333332
20infinity333333332

Start with the Druid spell list, knowing all spells on the list, prune and add from there, and then you throw in the "big" non-spellcasting abilities at the even levels.

Alternatively, a short list with spontaneous casting like the beguiler, in which case you want a narrower toolkit.

EDIT: You might also want to delay that progression one level, and put the "big" non-spellcasting abilities on the odd levels, not sure.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Whats wrong with having the same spells but at a different spell level? I had intended to make the spell list more along the lines of buff myself and utility rather than finger of death machine.
Which means that saves don't really matter (unless your party idiot decides to resist your heals), and you still get full caster level for greater magic fanging your pet.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

The bard progression is really only suitable for casters who use their spells for utility rather than offense. It's a secondary thing, like all of the low level slots of the full casters are, and should be treated as such. And those casters need something else to spend most of the time doing. Even if you're using the Tome "DC = 1/2 level + relevant mod" thing instead of the normal "DC = spell level + relevant mod" thing, the bard progression just doesn't outpace immunity / resistance or provide enough volume to be a primary class feature.

So if you're sticking with it, you need a primary level appropriate shtick for the class. And once you have that you can skip the spell level adjustments, at least any that you wouldn't also do for the druid list.

If they're instead supposed to be using the spells for offense some of the time and some other class feature the rest of the time, over all levels, then Radiant's suggestion is probably the best call, with a somewhat narrow spell list.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

I think that I will just post the class as it is so far in IMOI.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

AndreiChekov wrote:Whats wrong with having the same spells but at a different spell level?
Because every time you make a spell available at a lower spell level, parties of wizards get even more potentially powerful.

Oh, and some more magic item creation jobs get outsourced to Chinese artificers even more hardcore.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
AndreiChekov wrote:Whats wrong with having the same spells but at a different spell level?
Because every time you make a spell available at a lower spell level, parties of wizards get even more potentially powerful.

Oh, and some more magic item creation jobs get outsourced to Chinese artificers even more hardcore.
So, what about having the 6 levels of spell like abilities with spell like abilities per day slots?

Or have 6 levels of some other totally-not-spellcasting
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

I still don't see what the point of making a spell progression only go up to 6 is if you're going to give them more-or-less the same spells anyway.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

class table aesthetics. It makes it clear at a glance that it is a partial caster.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

just adjust druid spell progression to ever other level in the list.

level 1 spells come at level 1

level 2 must wait to level 3.

level 3 on the list must wait until level 5, etc.

then for the other part of the ranger, the fighting, the even number levels give those parts, or whatever parts you wanted from the bard class.

,aybe some explanation of how this "true ranger" is being designed outside of abilities would be helpful, like its functions and such that differe it from other ranger classes presented all over games?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

The Hart Warden

I started a thread in IMOI about it because I actually have enough of the class concept for it to be there as I finalize it.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x