The Invisible Blade - Not Sucking

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Brobdingnagian
Knight

The Invisible Blade - Not Sucking

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Wow, don't we ever love the sneak attack class that gives you normal progression... but only with daggers? Balls to that. Here's the Invisible Blade in a more useful fashion.

Invisible Blade
"Look, a distraction!"

Requirements:
BAB: +3
Skills: Bluff or Sleight of Hand 8 ranks
Feats: Combat School - Knife Fighter (when using daggers, kukris, or anything else you and your DM consider a knife)

Hit Die: d6
BAB: Full (as Fighter), Saves: Fort: Poor, Ref: Good, Will: Poor

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumbe (Dex).

Skill Points: 4 + INT modifier

Level/Bonus

Calculated Combat, Dagger Sneak Attack +1d6, Uncanny Feint (move)
2 Dagger Sneak Attack +2d6, Feint Mastery
3 Dagger Sneak Attack +3d6, Uncanny Feint (free)

Class Features

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: An Invisible Blade gains profinciency in daggers, kukris, and anything else that falls under his Combat Style - Knife Fighter that you were too dumb to already have.

Calculated Combat: An Invisible Blade adds his Intelligence modifier (if positive) as a Dodge bonus to armour class as long as he wears light or no armour. In addition, any ability the Invisible Blade has that would require an opponent to make a saving throw with a Strength-based DC can instead be made with an Intelligence-based DC, at the Invisible Blade's option.

Dagger Sneak Attack: An Invisible Blade is dangerous with his daggers. At first level and each level thereafter, an Invisible Blade adds 1d6 to all Sneak Attacks if he would also be eligible for a bonus from his Combat School - Knife Fighter.

Uncanny Feint: At first level, an Invisible Blade can feint as a move action. At third level, an Invisible Blade can feint as a free action. An Invisible Blade may use either his Bluff skill or his Sleight of Hand skill for feinting (his option at the time of the attack). If he chooses to use his Sleight of Hand skill, his opponent must make a Spot check (as opposed to the normal Sense Motive check) to oppose. Also, none of this 'only feint once a round' bullshit. You're meant to go one-on-one with people, you should be sneak attacking all the friggin' time. An Invisible Blade may only use Uncanny Feint while using his Combat Style - Knife Fighting.

Feint Mastery: At second level, an Invisible Blade becomes so sure of his ability to mislead his opponent, he can always take 10 on Bluff or Sleight of Hand checks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I realise I didn't do the skills. Boo-hoo, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Anyway, I think this class is actually playable, so critique away.

Edit. Added hit die, skills, and skill points. Took away Sneak Attack requirement.

Edit. Fine-tuned some of the wording and abilities.
AlphaNerd
Master

Re: The Invisible Blade - Not Sucking

Post by AlphaNerd »

Hit die, number of skills, skill list?
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Why would a rogue ever not take levels in this class since it grants better BaB and faster sneak attack progression?
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Because you have to knife-fight?

Oh, yeah. d6 hit die. And I said you can figure the skills out yourself.

Also, give it a smaller skill progression than Rogue. Since this is a combat class, four skill points should be reasonable.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Why the sneak attack requirement? Ditch that and a fighter or barbarian can take it.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176065247[/unixtime]]
"Look, a diversion!"

I've always preferred "Look! A distraction!"

I've actually gotten people on that one.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Because then a Fighter or Barbarian could qualify at 3rd level... I could up the BAB requirement to +5, but then a Rogue can't qualify until 7th.

Hmm... how about...

BAB: +5
Special: If you have the Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike class feature, the BAB requirement for this class is reduced to +3.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176092993[/unixtime]]Because then a Fighter or Barbarian could qualify at 3rd level... I could up the BAB requirement to +5, but then a Rogue can't qualify until 7th.

Hmm... how about...

BAB: +5
Special: If you have the Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike class feature, the BAB requirement for this class is reduced to +3.
Or you could just keep the skill requirement.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Oh yeah, that. Man, I'm out of it today. I'll fix that.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Why take this as a fighter? The 2d6 great sword becomes a 1d4 kukri. But, you can use two of them at once and gain +3d6 on each most of the time. At the cost of your fighter abilities. It's okay.

Rogue? Thief-Acrobat? It's okay, considering that you'll lose out on your 1337 skillz.

An assassin wouldn't take it 'cause of the way his death attack works.

Similar to a fighter, barbarian can take it later on, if he wants, but he'll loose out on his auto anti-magic abilities, which are tactically superior to just getting an extra d6 of damage.

Mages of any type? Ha!

Dungeonomicon monks may gain some benefit depending on what the following fighting style means:
While Active, your Fighting Style provides any bonuses it gives to your slam attack to any attack you make with any weapon
So... Can a Monk 15/Ivisy-blade apply his disintegrating slam powers to his unseen daggers?
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Makes sense.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Combat School is a Strength-based feat, so you might want to consider an alternative for Dex-based characters. I mean, the the candy is nice but the meat is the Daze effect, which is weak for Str-dumpers. Hell, letting them base the DC on Int would be in-flavor and quite a boost to 'smart warriors.'

IMO the real power of adding a monk's specials to normal weapons is with a bow, but that's another story...
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1176188076[/unixtime]]Combat School is a Strength-based feat, so you might want to consider an alternative for Dex-based characters. I mean, the the candy is nice but the meat is the Daze effect, which is weak for Str-dumpers. Hell, letting them base the DC on Int would be in-flavor and quite a boost to 'smart warriors.'

IMO the real power of adding a monk's specials to normal weapons is with a bow, but that's another story...

Fvcking broken-ass archers. All that damage potential and so little risk.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Good point. I'll add that in.

It's under 'Calculated Combat'. I figured no point in making it just defence, right?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

You should change the special requirement to:

Combat School (Any Light Slashing and/or Piercing Weapons)

Daggers are both, Kukris are slashing, but there are other small weapons that you could use in a similar manner, like Darts or Sianghams.

I'm saying this mostly b/c Melee-Rogues tend to be Dead-Rogues.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

So, what? Combat School (Pointy Shit)? Eh. Whatever.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1177784060[/unixtime]]You should change the special requirement to:

Combat School (Any Light Slashing and/or Piercing Weapons)

Fuck ya! Eat invisible kusarigama, bitch!

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176065247[/unixtime]]
Weapon and Armour Proficiency: An Invisible Blade gains profinciency in daggers, kukris, and anything else that falls under his Combat Style - Knife Fighter that you were too dumb to already have. Also gains proficiency in light armour if for some odd reason you don't have it.

There isn't any real reason to not give light armor proficiency, but there also isn't much of a reason to give it. I'd stick with having monk/invisible blades go unarmored unless they dip in something else.

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176065247[/unixtime]]Calculated Combat: An Invisible Blade adds his Intelligence modifier (if positive) as a Dodge bonus to armour class as long as he wears light or no armour. In addition, any ability the Invisible Blade has that would require an opponent to make a Strength-based saving throw can instead be made an Intelligence-based saving throw, at the Invisible Blade's option.

It's a strength-based DC, not saving throw. This isn't SAME :P

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176065247[/unixtime]]Dagger Sneak Attack: An Invisible Blade is dangerous with his daggers. At first level and each level thereafter, an Invisible Blade adds 1d6 to all Sneak Attacks made while using his Combat Style - Knife Fighting.
It might make sense to be more specific as to what using the combat school means. If it means 'while using one of the abilities granted by the Combat School,' you can't apply it to TWFing with a dagger and a shield.

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176065247[/unixtime]]Feint Mastery: At second level, an Invisible Blade becomes so sure of his ability to mislead his opponent, he can always take 10 on Bluff or Sleight of Hand checks to use his Uncanny Feint ability.

Might as well make it Bluff and SoH checks, period.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

And the fine-tuning commences.

I'll leave the necessary Combat School requirments up to the various DM's. Personally, I wouldn't allow kusarigama, but that's besides the point.

Catharz wrote:There isn't any real reason to not give light armor proficiency, but there also isn't much of a reason to give it. I'd stick with having monk/invisible blades go unarmored unless they dip in something else.

I suppose that's a good point. I didn't really consider the Monk when I typed it up. I'll fix that.

Catharz wrote:It's a strength-based DC, not saving throw. This isn't SAME :P

Oops. I suppose I better fix that.

Catharz wrote:It might make sense to be more specific as to what using the combat school means. If it means 'while using one of the abilities granted by the Combat School,' you can't apply it to TWFing with a dagger and a shield.

I figure it meant "any time you would be eligible to receive a bonus from Combat School", but yeah, I guess I should fill that in.

Catharz wrote:Might as well make it Bluff and SoH checks, period.

Eh. This is what happens when I copy straight from the text. No point in not doing it, really. I'll edit that too.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Looking over Races of War, there is a 'smart knife fighter' feat:

Subtle Cut [Combat]
You cut people so bad they have to ask you about it later.
Benefits: Any time you damage an opponent, that damage is increased by 1.
+1: As a standard action, you can make a weapon attack that also reduces a creature's movement rate. For every 5 points of damage this attack does, reduce the creature's movement by 5'. This penalties lasts until the damage is healed.
+6: As a standard action, you may make a weapon attack that also does 2d4 points of Dexterity damage.
+11: Any weapon attack that you make at this level acts as if the weapon had the wounding property.
+16: As a standard action, you may make an attack that dazes your opponent. This effect lasts one round, and has a DC of 10 + half your level + your Intelligence bonus.

I think it's been ignored because most of the abilities require standard actions to execute, and Combat School seems flat-out better (1 round Daze as an attack action 10 levels sooner...). I'm not exactly sure what the thought behind it was. The Dex damage attack is a killer, and the movement reduction is nice, but it seems like a Spring Attack feat where Spring Attack no longer exists...

Maybe K or Frank would care to explain some killer uses of this feat, and why it rates up there with Combat School.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

You can make ranged sneak attacks that drop a targets movement to 5'.

Then, you can deal dex damage.

Then, any attack that you make also deals 1 point of con damage.

Really, it's a feat for the ranged attack rogue that has blitz, point blank shot and sniper; he can deal his BaB twice in damage, plus sneak attack damage if he bought Camoflauge clothing.

So, he'll keep things pinned in place, or 5 foot step back every round to keep them far from himself.

Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Oh, of course. The 'smart' guy wants to keep out of melee if at all possible :P

I wonder what the save is...