Domain RPG aka d26

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

A problem arose when fighting a beetle hulk.

The dragon could not penetrate its Armor Value of 16. Its damage totals did not exceed the reduction and it did not roll any criticals.

ALthough I did design every monster to have a weakness, I suppose it was a bit unfair that the battle mainly weighed in on Backstab and magic.
The dragon decided to grapple late into the fight. I suppose it would have gone differently early on.
The Constrict trait is dangerous when grappling though. Beetles are monstrous in a grapple.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So 6's to damage are critical hits.

If I can make extra attacks with move/quick actions, can I make two handed weapon attacks with a single quick action? Could I use a single quick action to make two dual wielding attacks?

1 - (5/6)^N is the formula for odds of a crit based on the number of d6's damage I'm doing. If I'm rolling 2d6 damage, that's a 30% chance to get a crit and bypass armor. So even if you have a mega clam, if it's easy to hit and two guys can poke it with a sword in each hand they can bypass its armor quite quickly, is that working as intended?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

OgreBattle wrote: If I can make extra attacks with move/quick actions, can I make two handed weapon attacks with a single quick action? Could I use a single quick action to make two dual wielding attacks?
The number of attacks a character may make in a round is still limited to 2.
But yes, certain "options" speed up the action type used to attack.

That's a no however to the single quick action; a standard action covers normal attack routines, but speeding up an attack to a better action type uses that action for a single attack. You'd have one as a Quick and one as a Standard.
1 - (5/6)^N is the formula for odds of a crit based on the number of d6's damage I'm doing. If I'm rolling 2d6 damage, that's a 30% chance to get a crit and bypass armor. So even if you have a mega clam, if it's easy to hit and two guys can poke it with a sword in each hand they can bypass its armor quite quickly, is that working as intended?
Yes. A single roll of 6 (or critical) makes the entire solid portion of an attack into an armor-piercing strike.
Melee combat is fatal.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I cleaned up the language on some rulings.

Changed how Battle Options, namely Move Strike and Quick Strike, work so as to avoid confusion.

I'll be adding a mining minigame chart for random encounters for the Deepseeker setting next.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Made some fixes to spells. Some were missing tags while a few combat spells needed scaling damage or an extra effect.

Changed Resist Energy from 3e D&D style set resistance to AD&D half damage. More math but better result.

Changed Chi Blast.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Made some detailed changes throughout the document after much reflection.

Since I am serious about taking this to print eventually, I decided to skip around the ripoff of D&D Next's Advantage/Disadvantage condition and call it Boon and Bane. Instead of rolling 2d20 you reroll success or failure.
Therefore it is different in process but the result is the same.

Changed how Guts and Evasion work. It's a once per minute temporary conditional invulnerability upon successful roll.

Added the Grue monster. It's iconic.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Did an overhaul of how melee combat works. Specifically, put attacks into categories of Lesser or Greater to limit how many times they may be made in a round.
This took a bit of revision but was worth the effort.

Added the Deepseeker mining minigame.

Changed a few item descriptions.

Made Elves immortal as long as they eat only Fae food.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Added support for languages complete with a list of known language groups.

Added damage resistance for items so that, for instance, a wood item can't break an iron item as easily.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Adjusted the wording of Stealth checks. I'm not sure how that should be handled in any RPG really since the very action of a Stealth check alerts players that something is going on.

I made the option of a Sense check passive so that a player doesn't have to roll, but they can if they want.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Added a rule for using a one handed weapon with both hands since I could not find a similar rule before (adds two damage)
coins
NPC

Post by coins »

a few questions
1. For spell imbue and contingency, does the "spell effect" refer to the spells that the character has or any spell.
2. Just for clarification, can you apply flurry to two-handed weapon attack?
3. For spell earthquake, if the wizard uses this spell in a tunnel, will the ceiling of the tunnel also take damage as well?
4. It seems like you really want PC to take a warrior class and a mage class, or 2 mage classes, what's the benefit of taking 2 warrior classes then?
Last edited by coins on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Changed how Slay works, more balanced for dual weapons rather than a set +3 damage. Don't know why I didn't catch that before.

This required an update with some monsters but it wasn't too far off.

Had a session with some friends and brother. Went well.
Two dark elves (one Illusionist/Assassin and the other a Summoner/Shaman) while I played an orc Monk/Shaman.
The toughest encounter was a horde of mushroom folk since their HP was ridiculous and there were a lot of them at once.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Alas, I have made a grievous error.

I made skeletons and zombies standalone monsters rather than templates you can slap on other monsters.

I'll get to that next.

The only problem is that my brother split this main document into .DOC pieces for easy reference (?) so he'll be the first to notify when I rectify this.
Just have to.... figure out how I'll do it.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

coins wrote:a few questions
1. For spell imbue and contingency, does the "spell effect" refer to the spells that the character has or any spell.
2. Just for clarification, can you apply flurry to two-handed weapon attack?
3. For spell earthquake, if the wizard uses this spell in a tunnel, will the ceiling of the tunnel also take damage as well?
4. It seems like you really want PC to take a warrior class and a mage class, or 2 mage classes, what's the benefit of taking 2 warrior classes then?
Sorry I missed your questions earlier. I don't get many posts. Here we go...

1. Spell effect refers to a spell known to the character.

2. I didn't think of the repercussions of having an additional Greater attack compared to a weaker Lesser one. I might remove that, but as it stands, yes.

3. Yes. A common sense thing applies here and maybe a touch of imagination. But if a DM thinks this is unfair, then it doesn't happen.

4. Doubling up on warrior classes grants +5 HP and +1 action point, not to mention a slightly expanded skills list. Yes I did favor warrior/mage combinations above all else, I'm biased. Mage/mage is physically weak but I guess for an intelligent player they might survive in the long run.

EDIT: Changes were made. Thank you Coins.

Flurry now only works with Lesser attacks. No greatsword extra attack now.

Bonuses from the Warrior class are now applied per rank. This means I'll have to redo monster HP. Long haul.

EDIT 2: Changes done. Monsters were updated.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'm going to go back through the monster section next and add templates for Undead.

Should have done that in the first place like D&D 3e has but I didn't think of it.

They will pretty much be a small selection of monster traits in a package. Some flaws, some powers, not much.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

You have an estimate of about how long a player's turn in this takes, and how many rounds total make up the average combat encounter?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

OgreBattle wrote:You have an estimate of about how long a player's turn in this takes, and how many rounds total make up the average combat encounter?
During the most recent playtest an average turn was like 1-2 minutes since the two new players had to look up rules for things like suffocation and burning or combat basics.
All in all it was at least the same speed as a 3.5 game.

Combat varied from an absolute slaughter against a handful of goblins in like 3 rounds, to a dragged out slugfest against 5 mushroomfolk (they had a lot of HP)

I've updated the document. Did some minor edits early on, major edits to the monster section, added things like undead variants you can slap onto anything living.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Changed how Charge works. Instead of applying Bane to Dodge rolls for 1 round I opted for a plain -2 penalty, and +2 Threat. The damage is 1 per hand on a weapon per Rank.

Added Limb Strike to the combat section.

Removed Block and Parry from combat options so now anyone can do them at any time they would normally Dodge.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Changed Lycanthrope to Zoanthrope for more variety. Wolf is just the default.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Changed "falling" rules slightly. Smaller characters have a better chance to reduce falling damage.

Considering adding iconic monsters such as stone and iron golems, since I forgot to add them earlier.

Should undead and constructs have all Health replaced with HP? That might cause problems for the sake of realism.

EDIT: Golems were added. "Worldwreck" power was altered.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Fri May 01, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Changed how using two hands on a one handed weapon works.
Now you add +2 and + Body to damage in addition to normal damage.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Vampires have hearts to stake and I enjoyed that the dragons dogma golem has gems embedded in it that need to be destroyed so having health and hit points for the unliving seems fine.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Point taken.

Changed some details about the Shield and Metal spells by the way. There were some... problems in playtesting.

Also added stats to damage for the Brawler skill. I must have missed that.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Massive changes to Threat due to RNG.

In a playtest recently, some low levels had trouble dodging a Rank 2 ogre.

So I regulated Threat to Rank rather than stats. You can still boost it but it requires a power slot.

Rewriting that entry in every monster statblock took 3-4 hours.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

After 9 hours of playtesting with friends, we worked out magic errors and problems with single target vs area attacks.

My pixie healer was impaled with a single arrow near the end after dodging everything else with his DEX of 8 and Dodge +12. Ran out of Action Points. Shitty Dodge rolls.
SPLAT. Impaled.

This should be the final edit, unless there are errors I didn't notice. My youngest brother is being my editor now and his friend is indexing everything to make an appendix.
My middle brother, the artist, is doing "PHB" style sketches of common races.
Eventually this will be published, if I can get around 3.5e copyright laws since I used some 3e material, but hey... If Paizo can make Pathfinder, I can do this, right?