Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

TarkisFlux wrote:It did, and I included those in parentheses. The ones you quoted even.
Crap, I'm failing spot checks left and right.
Seerow wrote:Apparently Mearls is saying on Twitter that the game will be fully playable with just the PHB.
My own guess is that Mearl is twisting words again and what he actually means is that you'll be able to play the game from say, levels 1-3 with PHB plus inset material.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

So, $30 for less than 100 pages. And a canned adventure, no less.
:mad:

But that's okay, because apparently you don't need the MM or DMG to play the game.
:twitch:
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

The fact that nobody knows anything about the D&D Next tells me that they know that they have a bad product and don't want to let previews ruin their pre-sales.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

zugschef wrote:The fact that nobody knows anything about the D&D Next tells me that they know that they have a bad product and don't want to let previews ruin their pre-sales.
Well based on some of their post-playtest stuff like Ghosts of Dragonspear castle, the rules haven't changed hardly at all since the last playtest packet.

I suspect that nobody knows anything new because there really isn't much new to report on. They probably added a few new spells, made some very minor tweaks and are just adding a bunch of extraneous flavor text and "What is an RPG?" sections to add padding to the book.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

NEWS!

Well, why don't we release the core rules with a month between them. It's not like you can't play without a Monster Manual. You can wing it without a Dungeon Master Guide, I guess.

Also nice how they don't even bother writing the adventures themselfs.

Over here (Germany) I hear people talk about 5E coming out "soon" and liking the playtest and whatnot on a regular basis. The only reason I actually REMEMBER this game. Even people that would never touch D&D with a 10 foot pole like it! Like... what the fuck is up with that?
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Rawbeard wrote:NEWS!

Well, why don't we release the core rules with a month between them. It's not like you can't play without a Monster Manual. You can wing it without a Dungeon Master Guide, I guess.

Also nice how they don't even bother writing the adventures themselfs.

Over here (Germany) I hear people talk about 5E coming out "soon" and liking the playtest and whatnot on a regular basis. The only reason I actually REMEMBER this game. Even people that would never touch D&D with a 10 foot pole like it! Like... what the fuck is up with that?
That is at least the third time that article has been posted.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Everything you need to know...
Mike Mearls on Twitter again: "Lots of Q's about the staggered release: You will not need the MM or DMG to run a campaign. Or the PH or Starter Set to make a character."
I... what? It sounds like Mearls is doing some over-the-top parodic version of his usual 'promise everything to everyone' bit. Seriously, you don't need either of the products with the character creation rules to make a character? How is that possible, and if it is possible, why am I paying for those products?
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Wait, so now I don't need any of the Core books to actually play the game?

That's ... telling.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

This keeps getting better and better. Must be some kind of "those books really don't contain anything of value, not having them does not change anything" admission.
Wiseman wrote:That is at least the third time that article has been posted.

Someone at the Escapist has a major raging boner for 5e, so I am not suprised that shit gets repeated over and over with no new actual news. I found this article hilarious enough.
Last edited by Rawbeard on Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Not needing the DMG/MM to run a campaign can work, if your campaign is just published adventures written with lots of reminder text.

Creating a character without a PH or Starter Set sounds a lot like hyperbole though. Or maybe what he really meant was "you don't need either of those products to HAVE a character, there will be pre-gens in our adventures." Or maybe there's some technically true bullshit in there (like the DMG has info on alternate character creation schemes, so you just need a DMG to create characters.)

What I find mindboggling is the pricing. Sure, D&D Design is staffed with idiots. But Brand or Marketing has to have someone smart enough to realize that they don't have a premium, top-of-the-line product.

Or maybe that's the point - they're fairly sure it's not going to sell well, so that's a cut-our-losses pricing strategy.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

MisterDee wrote:Not needing the DMG/MM to run a campaign can work, if your campaign is just published adventures written with lots of reminder text.

Creating a character without a PH or Starter Set sounds a lot like hyperbole though. Or maybe what he really meant was "you don't need either of those products to HAVE a character, there will be pre-gens in our adventures." Or maybe there's some technically true bullshit in there (like the DMG has info on alternate character creation schemes, so you just need a DMG to create characters.)
He could also be saying you can generate characters with either the starter set or the PHB. It was a twitter thing, so he got cut short, but it seems like it's trying to address some thought that after getting the starter set you'll still need the PHB to make a character, or vice verca.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

True, but it's much more fun to assign machiavelical, evil motives to Mearls.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

What's the rule that goes "never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity?"
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Hanlon's Razor.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

This 5e mass combat system sounds like anal juice.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20140428

Fuck you Mearls.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Everything you need to know...
Mike Mearls on Twitter again: "Lots of Q's about the staggered release: You will not need the MM or DMG to run a campaign. Or the PH or Starter Set to make a character."
I... what? It sounds like Mearls is doing some over-the-top parodic version of his usual 'promise everything to everyone' bit. Seriously, you don't need either of the products with the character creation rules to make a character? How is that possible, and if it is possible, why am I paying for those products?
Of course you can play the D&D without needing these books, it's called playing another edition.
Last edited by Wiseman on Tue May 20, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

By the way did anybody else notice or care that they eliminated any note of "edition" on the core books?

It's not Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. It's just "Dungeons and Dragons". Because that's not going to cause confusion at all.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Everything you need to know...
Citation:

But wait!
It gets better!

Apparently we've been wrong all this time, it's not 5e, it's Se, for Schrodinger's Edition. The rules both exist and don't exist simultaneously.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Okay this is getting more hilarious with every post. No PC creation in the box, but you can create PCs without that. What.
Paizil
NPC

Post by Paizil »

5e Mass Combat wrote:Ten Small or Medium creatures make up a single stand, as do five Large creatures or two Huge ones...

Since both sides scale up equally, Battlesystem simulates a number of combatants on each side of a battle attacking each other over the course of a minute with a single die roll, using the combatants' combat statistics.
It is all horrible, but this contradiction is so blatant it truly defies my ability to add commentary.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Obviously you don't need books to create your character! You can just use the new online subscription-based service they're waiting to reveal! It went so well for 4e, they're gonna make it mandatory to play 5e Se.

I wish that explanation didn't fit so well....
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

If Mearls hasn't totally lost his shit, all I can assume is that he means that you can make characters by using the last playtest packets because the rules are identical. So you don't really need the new PHB at all because nothing has changed.

The only other logical conclusion is that he spent his last paycheck exclusively on some powerful drugs and is tripping balls.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You're overthinking it. He's not saying that you can make a character according to the rules without the PHB. He's just saying that you can make a character. So basically he's just doubling down on the idea that the game will be "compatible" with whatever the fuck you make out of one of the playtest packets. Because you know, whatever.

Mike Mearls is definitely not saying that nothing will have changed between the playtest packets and the release of the PHB. He's saying that he doesn't care if you want to play characters from the playtest packets in Tranny of Dragons games. He's not promising that the results will be fair or good, just that he doesn't care if you do it.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That was my other thought, that these rules are really more "here's how we kludged the past five versions of D&D all together." Strictly, I could say I'm already running a heavily customized 5e game now.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

infected slut princess wrote:This 5e mass combat system sounds like anal juice.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20140428

Fuck you Mearls.
...Battlesystem (tm). Because their last attempt at making a crappier Warhammer was sooo well received.

Eh. Still better than Paizo's system.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.