D&D Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Koumei wrote:Huh, Aribeth goes both ways. That's excellent. (In Alignment as well as gender - you can have her go with you even as an Evildoer, as well as both sexes being able to romance her. Must be an elf thing!)

Anyway, NWN2. How do you actually ready/use the Weeaboo Stances and Manoeuvres? I learned them (move the "Manage Weeaboo Fightan Magic" feat to the quickbar, click that, select what you want to learn), and that created the book which contains the things you know... but actually using them doesn't seem to be available.
I'll give an exact answer to this once I'm at home, but the idea is that one of the buttons on those swords that appear on your screen when you're any kind of martial adept serves to prepare manoeuvres. Clicking on it will bring two panels: one with all your known stuff and the other one, initially empty, with the stuff you have prepared. Click on the manoeuvres you know to prepare it.

Once you have prepared your stuff, another button on the sword thing will work like the quickcasting screen (F).

EDIT: At home now, so lets go with the full process. I made a level 1 warblade.

First thing, click on your "warblade training" feat twice. It should be on your quickbar, but you can also find it at the feats tab of your character. The first click will give you the book of nine swords item, the second click opens the training menu for your class. Every time you gain a new level, click on warblade training so that you can select new maneuvers/stances as they become available.

With that done, click on the first icon on the sword that appears on your screen when you're a warblade: This is where you'll prepare your maneuvers. Click on level 1, and select all the maneuvers you know.

Once that is done, the second icon on the sword is the quickstrike menu. Click on it and a new thingie should open with all your prepared maneuvers and known stances. Click on them to activate. As an added bonus, there's a button for charge attacks there too.
Last edited by nockermensch on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks, I didn't even notice those icons the first time round, partially obscured as they were by the mini-map.

Interesting note: miss chances are reduced by your BAB. A level 20 Fighter actually ignores 20% Miss Chances. I am okay with this (particularly when it's all handled by the PC so players aren't going "wait shit I forgot X modifier").

Also, "Save or Lose: the DC is the attack roll" is hilarious.

Jannling Bard/Dragon Disciple in NWN2Mask is awesome. Especially seeing as you can buff, then enter the conversation that turns into a fight, and you start the fight Hasted, with +8 to Dexterity and Charisma, +Cha as Deflection to AC and as "a bonus" on attack rolls, with Save-or-Lose on your attacks, and with DR, Spell Immunity and a Miss Chance on top of that. It really brings out the best in buff-casters, Cleric Archers do wonderfully as well. Even if Righteous Might doesn't do much for them. That said, with DD finished, it looks like I might just go to Bard 20 to finish off the 30-level progression. There's not much benefit in jumping to Eldritch Knight or anything.

It's just interesting to see the best options being things like "spend several rounds buffing then pretend to be a fighter, only better" or "rain down their favourite Improved Magic Missile spell".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

The amount of awesome in this thread is awesome.
I've been wanting to play a Yuan-ti bard for a while, and never wanted to deal with the level adjustment.
Oh, and now I'm going to spend 300 hours playing around with character building.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yes, that option is available in both games. NWN2 is more friendly to Bards in regards to the base spell-list and the way the bardsongs work (and the PRC pack adds Snowflake Wardance), but NWN1 has more prestige classes for them (including the one that gets 4th-9th level spells), as well as the feat that turns your bardsong into elemental damage. Then there's the whole "NWN1 has max level 40 but only up to 3 classes, NWN2 has only level 30 but up to 4 classes". Oh, and if you do Bard -> Dragon Disciple for a "I hit it with a stick" builds, NWN1 DD gets to go into Epic levels and grow up to 2 size categories. With ability score adjustments.

Still working on a level 25+ module for post-HotU characters. You have to go kill the Rakshasa King, dungeoncrawling through their extraplanar lair, freeing slaves (including bound efreeti) and all that.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Koumei wrote:Still working on a level 25+ module for post-HotU characters. You have to go kill the Rakshasa King, dungeoncrawling through their extraplanar lair, freeing slaves (including bound efreeti) and all that.
Sounds cool. You using any hakpaks? Maybe I should reinstall NWN.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm going to first build it basically as normal, then apply the PRC hakpak, and then I'll add in PRC-specific things. I'm trying to start simple with it, but then use experimentation and online guides to make it a bit fancier, with "Yes, you can choose to get +5 to all stats as a reward for freeing the genies" and complex dialogue trees, and areas where stepping on it while you have Clairvoyance active flat-out tells you information, and all that.

I think I'll also make one that can take a character from "level 9-ish" to level 15, seeing as 15 is "starting HotU" and Kingmaker (one of the more fun modules for starting a level 1 character, it helps that you gain levels rapidly, shame that it can't be hakpak modded so no PRC for you) ends "around level 8-12".
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Koumei wrote:Huh, Aribeth goes both ways. That's excellent. (In Alignment as well as gender - you can have her go with you even as an Evildoer, as well as both sexes being able to romance her. Must be an elf thing!)
According to tvtropes, she's also into polyamory.
tvtropes/polyamory wrote:male player characters in Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark can suggest that Aribeth and Nathyrra share him. Unlike the Dragon Age/Mass Effect 1 example, it actually works.
I haven't played Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, but the DM Mode sounds like it would be really awesome. Did any of you try it out?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Haven't tried out DM mode, no. With a bit of practice it could be a pretty decent halfway point between IRC gaming and video games though.

Incidentally, only ever play SoU once - just so you get all the references in HotU (sadly they assume your character went through SoU and not the base game). The actual campaign itself is quite annoying, with a mix of boring, repetitive fights (oooh, fifty undead Brain Devourers! Twenty gnolls! How exciting!) and annoying puzzles (most noteworthy being the colour-trail area after the gnoll cave. Protip: dismiss any animal companions or familiars, accept the death of your cohort, and just put god mode on). Somehow, fucking Deekin managed not to be the most annoying thing in that campaign.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I get around to obtaining and playing it.

Apparently Neverwinter Nights has some fan content that have their own tvtropes articles including one that adds D20 Modern stuff to the editor.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I played one module (Gladiatrix III, and that trilogy honestly deserves a rageview or something) that had, at ~level 20, a Honey Badger as an enemy. On its own, after you see a field littered with monster corpses. I assume they added 20 levels of Barbarian to the regular Badger.

Yes, I am well aware of how crazy those little bastards are, but I'm not sure they really belong in the same bracket as fiend lords that can summon extra fiends, paralyse everyone at once, make one person per round just die, and detonate when killed. It was pretty funny though.

And NWN2 is getting more and more fucked. The camera options elected to change. You know, just because. So that the camera always follows you, forcibly turning as you do, and preventing you from zooming out much. This on top of the special AI settings of "Caster: cast all your spells. Non-Caster: stand there and repeatedly Taunt/turn Power Attack on and off/just say something" that it decided to enforce makes me think perhaps I should do a fresh install and try to live without awesome races and prestige classes (I can live without the base classes like Hexblade and Ninja, even though it's a bit sad to lose Weeaboo Fightan Magic). Or possibly all the weird-ass treasure the other hakpak throws around.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Actually, fuck it, I'm at work again and all is quiet, so let's have a basic review of Gladiatrix:

Gladiatrix is a series of three modules for NWN, using a fair amount of hakpaks for custom content. There was a crazy amount of effort put into this, I really need to make that clear. For production values alone, it wins serious points.

Fair warning:
Now, it's a Sexytime game. By which I mean it uses custom skins so people are properly naked when the "armour/clothes" slot is empty, and boobs are just that little bit bouncy. I'm okay with this. Also there are animated sex scenes (admittedly, all of them are optional, but you're supposed to fuck *someone* in the first one so you can get their "good ending"). There are also text-based scenes for various things, and not all of those are optional.

The sex content, honestly the text isn't bad but the game wasn't designed with virtual boning in mind so it looks a bit derpy, especially given the shadows effect that causes every character to look like they have a moustache or Sting* make-up if they're not highlit by the cursor.

Also, basically all armour you ever wear will be hilariously skimpy, but I'm okay with that. For what it's worth, most men are put in skimpy garb and women wolf-whistle at them, so it works both ways there. That's actually kind of refreshing.

Related to the above... prepare to lose your gear. A lot. Now you always get it back (apart from confiscation of potions in the first game) eventually, but they constantly take all your gear, and that was annoying enough at the start of HotU and they only did it once. The number of times you're captured as a plot thing is annoying, too, especially when you get to levels where that shit should not be happening.
Anyway, the game has some requirements: you have to be a level 1 human female fighter to play the first game - they enforced that so that you can equip any martial weapon, armour or shield (note: they force-equip you sometimes and the base game doesn't allow you to equip stuff without proficiency, the PRC adds that option). This isn't too terrible in the video games, and you can multiclass out as much as you like, but keep in mind the fact that you can't take more than three classes total, so you can't be a Fighter/Bard/Dragon Disciple/Weapon Master or whatever.

How to be annoying, continued:
Also, the first game really has a hard-on for telling you what you're allowed to equip. When you're in the training academy (the first chunk of the game) they give you your weapon and armour and you'll goddamn like it. Protip: if you added the PRC and took ranks in Craft Weapon, you can just make your own weapons. Do this. Instead of "Training Sword: -2 damage" you can have "Your favourite type of weapon: Masterwork, no damage penalty". And then you can craft another one every time they strip you. After that, in the "arena" chunk of the game, they tell you what your armour is (but you can potentially win a special suit that then becomes your new default) and you get a few weapon choices (all of them sword-based, no Scimitar/Falchion/Rapier options so Critmeisters need to craft their own). For the special missions, again, they go "Here is your magic armour, like it. Or use the special armour you won in the arena. Here is your magic weapon (and shield if relevant), fucking like it." But you can grab decent stuff from corpses. Also, for what it's worth, you get a decent amount of "Cast X 1/day" items.

Oh, for the record, when you are reduced to Near Death, you drop prone and are unable to move but have a Sanctuary effect. They then remove that when the contest is over. Problem: this still applies when you are in serious battles, at which point it doesn't matter if you regenerate your HP, you're stuck like that so reload. Also if a companion dies, it's game over, reload.
Anyway, the first chapter is the most restrictive, and it's a bit annoying like that. Also, don't quote me on this but I think it's possible to actually lose class features when it strips your gear off near the end: class features gained by the PRC are mostly added as Bonus Feats, but some (like Swordsage casting) are also added as part of a "PRC Skin" item (which is invisible, equipped and can't be moved). When it takes all your items away, it even takes your PRC Skin. You can see it in the box full of your items (have fun rearranging your inventory!), but you can't take it out of the box.

Some positive notes, however: the actual time of day in-game matters, as there's a clock and everything, and some places are only open at certain hours. The unique gear you get is at least interesting sometimes, and you don't have to win every contest, because it's a gladiator arena. I mean, you want to, for GP and XP and all that, but the game isn't over if you lose that. Also, when they send you on missions, you'll typically have 4-10 different fights, and each of these fights is a different thing. So when you're trapped on an island, you get: leopards, bear, man-eating gorilla, assassin vines (new), oozes, giant scorpions, stirges (new), giant centipedes (new), crazy half-ogre. You're not likely to get bored.

Once we get into Gladiatrix 2 though (you're around level 10-12), things get better:
You're handed a rod of resurrection so that you can Resurrect dead allies. Excellent.

They let you actually keep your own gear - they don't even loan you a weapon and armour that you have to return, it's just yours and you can buy other stuff. They do lend you a magic amulet at one point so you can fake being a Wizard, and honestly, if you wanted to export your character then and go into the regular games (requires modding so your character is visible), I would totally understand. I mean, Summon Dire Spider, Blade Barrier, Acid Arrow, Fireball, one or two defensive spells, and True Seeing, all 1/day. Kaching.

There's actually some investigation and infiltration, and the world starts becoming more interesting. By the way, I hope you like GIANT monsters.

Oh, the two new companion characters are a pain. One is a Good-aligned Cleric who is a prissy goody-two-shoes, the other is an annoying Evil-aligned guy who basically just wants you to suck his dick, and the two hate each other. Yes you have to take them both along.

By the way, SWIMMING. It introduces an underwater section where you actually swim around (and fight sharks).
Chapter 3 is pretty epic.
Now you're around level 15-16 at this point, and the game takes you to 20-21. Mostly your XP for everything has been story-based, with bonuses for completing optional things successfully, so the difference should only be 2-3 levels. You're now a proper hero, and you're out there to win allies for WAR.

The exotic locations are pretty rad, and you get to fight a whole variety of monsters. This includes mind flayers as you get to go to the UnderdarkEverdark. Also Colossal creatures, and the aforementioned Honey Badger. You get to pretend to be a Drow priestess at one point, so you once again get an awesome item that casts a bunch of spells per day, and it stops working once you return to the surface, so again I understand if you want to export your character to the normal game with it. Nevermind the other gear you get that hands out Bonus Feats (and can be used past returning to the surface).

The character interaction isn't too bad this time around, and you might even feel a bit sorry for some of them.
Overall I'd say that it's pretty awesome but does have its problems, and I feel that it'd do better without the sex. I know, Koumei is saying that.

*The Icon Sting, from WCW/TNA wrestling, not "the singer who can have marathon sex sessions and that's literally all I know about the guy".
Last edited by Koumei on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yep, working nice and smoothly now that I've reinstalled it without hakpaks. After I properly finish the campaigns, I'll add the PRC pak again and go through until it gets unbearable (and it's possible it won't, either because the item pak was the culprit or because it was a random "unstable game" problem).

Finally found a Good-allowed post-HotU trilogy. Has pretty decent ratings on the vault, too, although so far the battles have been quite easy most of the time (for a Palading) - just a couple of battles where enemies hit quite often and deal ongoing bleeding damage or deal recoil damage when hit. The giant beetle that takes up the whole screen when you zoom out is pretty awesome.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Koumei, can you post a link to this good aligned campaign please?
And whatever you are making, when you finish?
thanks.

Also, if you have the invisible skin unequipped from a warblade, can you delete your book of 9 swords, and hit that swordmaster ability again to retrieve it?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sure, I'll link it when I get home. It's a 3-parter called Sands of Time. Also, I should mention that the game tries to make you care about heat exposure (you take damage every X time if you're wearing metal stuff, including helmets and shields, when exposed to the sun. Bitch, I'm like level 30, I fast-heal that within one round) and dehydration (you gradually take Con damage if you don't regularly consume water. You can seriously just fill a page of inventory with waterskins for free whenever you go to a well or whatever. It's a non-issue).

There are more things that can actually affect your L-C alignment (including telling the sergeant of the watch that you nicked some stuff and paying a fine, to make you more Lawful).

It takes a good approach to Epic: all the people in this land learn Wizardry/Sorcery, so even shopkeepers are probably 10th level, but they're terrified of the "completely immortal monsters" of the desert (which you can wade through). The game actually acknowledges that you're that awesome. You are unbeatable compared to the monsters that are unbeatable compared to the high-level people.

As for the invisible skin, that's NWN1, where the B9S stuff functions differently: you learn your manoeuvres via a conversation menu, and then they are used as feats. No book item needed. When I try going through with something else I'll see what happens to various class features. Admittedly, that module series makes Fighter/Weapon Master the best combo - I chainsawed my way through most of it with a Scimitar Master (see: every attack that hits will threaten a critical hit for x3) with Champion of Torm to add some Smite there. Next will probably be something like Fighter/Lasher/Weapon Master (Whip) for all that tripping and stunning.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, actually it's called Sands of Fate.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

GreatGreyShrike wrote:Other games:

I am not sure Planescape: Torment properly qualifies as a D&D game that I like. I mean, the best parts of it were the characters, story, dialogue, and setting, and most of those segments either ignored or outright flaunted the actual D&D rules. The actual parts where you interface with actual mechanics of D&D in any meaningful way (combat, stealth, etc) instead of doing dialogue tree exploration were actually by far the least interesting part of the game and the part I paid attention to the least when playing. Basically, to the extent that it used the D&D rules at all that use was poor - if they had stolen the mechanics from e.g. any random CRPG instead it would almost certainly have been better. That said, it's a really awesome and interesting game and anyone who hasn't checked it out should do so. I think it's on GOG.com.
Totally this. Torment is the best rpg Ive played ever, but that has nothing to do with D&D or tactical combats really.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Has anyone tried Bard/Dervish? it seems to work alright as a bard that hits stuff. Both hinge around perform, and the intelligence is needed for Combat Expertise.
And dervish dance makes up for the bad bard BAB.

Also, thanks for the lynx koumei
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, Bard/Dervish works pretty well actually. Chuck some Snowflake Wardance onto that and you're good to go. And with spells like Bladeweave being "core" in the game, you can even stunlock your foes.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Is it possible to make Erinyes a player race? And if it is, has anyone found a decent tutorial for that? Or, has anyone done it already?
Everytime I see them I think "Erinyes? More like Erinyesplease."
And I suck at editing stuff normally.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Not precisely: using the Character Creator program for NWN1 you can create an Alu-Fiend which is basically "A succubus, minus the actual hit dice and level adjustment", and you can use an Erinyes skin just fine (which is the same as the Succubus, except with feathery wings instead of bat wings, and no tail). Or indeed you can make yourself blue-skinned and red-haired and add feathery wings. That's pretty damn close, though you don't specifically get the rope power and I can't remember what SLA's you get. Also you'll need to provide your own Sword and Bow (with which you are automatically proficient, because Outsider).

In NWN2, using the "big pack of extra stuff" hakpak, you can play an Alu-Fiend (again, it's pretty similar, make sure to reduce the LA to something appropriate, or indeed zero, I won't judge). And they're innately red-haired, which is apparently an important trait for fallen angels in D&D, presumably because they're soulless gingers :3c

That's the closest, as far as I'm aware.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Thats really not what I'm looking for. The thing I like about the Erinhellyes is the straps. The Alu-fiend is.... too clothed? And, I stopped using that hakpak because the weaboo classes just don't work right with it. Instead I edited the classes myself, basically gestalting them. Sorcerer/fighter favoured soul/paladin and spirit shaman/barbarian.
If you want those for the crazy everything now hakpak, I can make it for that and send you a copy, if you like. (takes about 5 minutes) I am currently considering making the ranger have unlimitied spells, because that is seriously an option. So, make it have spells known, and unlimited uses each day. Tarmas (the wizard in the official campaign) gets this, and I think he is the only reason that it is an option. A simple matter of 1 or 0.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

For now I'm going through NWN2 completely modless. Neeshka even has her +1 LA, that's how crazy I'm doing it. But later on, that'd be cool.

Is it easy to create new content/gestalt the classes and such?

Anyway, for the graphic, I'm pretty sure NWN2 actually has proper Erinyes models (the Hellfire Warlock can summon one), so if you're comfortable with editing stuff, then you should be able to sub the Erinyes model in for the race of your choice (or if you're feeling adventurous, go all-out and make an Erinyes race using that model).
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Its pretty easy once you know what you are looking for. If you are going to try it, it works just like modifying races with the racialsubtypes.2da

Find classes.2da It will be in data or the overide folder depending on your mods

Rename it txt, and everything is self explanatory. I didn't add classes, I just changed the sorcerer to have fighter stats, and there is a section called AFEAT and BFEAT if those are changed to fighter, then you get the proficiencies and feats per level. I'm too lazy to find out how to make arcane spell failure go away, so I just changed the sorcerer to be a divine caster.
Also, you can give any class spontaneous casting as a cleric or druid pretty easily.

In the crazy everything hakpak, it is much easier to edit because the guy arranged everything in nice columns. In the main game file, you have to extract it to overide to change it, and it looks like a big mess.

ALso, I edited them all when I was drunk, so the favouredsoulpaladin is getting the favoured soul deity's weapon focus and such, and the paladin divine grace stuff. Don't know how I did that. I do want to know, because right now my Sorcerer doesn't geta familiar.

Adding new classes is annoying because the StringReference requires an open slot, so you have to check what all the other overide things are doing, or it won't work.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Also, each of the classes has a abreviation in game text, and none of them make much sense. SOme are 3 letter and some are 4. Really annoying to remember them all.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So at first I felt that NWN2 base game is a bit boring with the henchmen, because I had gone through and finished MotB first - Hagspawn, Giant Spirit Bear, One of Many...

I take it back. Okay, so Dwarf Fighter can be remade as Dwarf Monk (shame that's the only "you can change their class" one, it'd be nice if others could at least qualify for Prestige Classes). Neeshka being a Tiefling isn't exactly crazy territory (NWN1+expansions already gave us a Kobold, a Drow, a Ghost and a Tiefling. And Kingmaker gives Azer, Wererat, Nymph, Rakshasa). But introducing the KILLER ROBOT is fantastic. Pity you can't get the giant spider to join your party, but joining the keep is good enough.

And LOGISTICS AND DRAGONS :D