General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

NWoD High Concept Mad Libs

Post by Prak »

Because it amused me.

Form:
So in [Splatbook Name], you get to be from one of five [Supernatural Type groups]: , , , , or . Then you are a member of one of five [Factions]: The , The , The , The , or the .
The special Potency statis called ; and power points are called .
Disciplines in the generic sense are called “ ” and our specific [Discipline] paths are named: (make 12-15, some number of factions have exclusive paths)
Now we need a couple of extra Backgrounds that probably could have been done with the backgrounds of the basic book but are slightly tailored to this book:
  • ( )
The party is called a " .”

The human super scientist enemies are called
The "just like you, but antagonists" enemies are called
Madness
So in Madness, you get to be from one of five monastic traditions: Yad who are immune to all poisons, Pulya who are immaterial to projectiles, Dubinka who resist impacts as concrete walls, Udushiniye who do not breath and have no need of air, or Sreda who can survive all temperatures and climes. Then you are a member of one of five Factions: The blood-drinking Strigoi, The ghostly Nav', The shapeshifting Bodark, The hex-casting Koldun, or the Koferaj alchemists.
The special Potency stat is called Piety; and power points are called Draughts.
Disciplines in the generic sense are called “Arts” and our specific Art paths are named: (make 12-15, some number of factions have exclusive paths)
  • Lekartsvo The art of healing
  • Gadaniye The art of divination
  • Smertia The art of speaking with spirits
  • Razrusheniya The art of destruction
  • Chteniye The art of reading minds and objects
  • Upravleniye The art of controlling others
  • Zlodney The art of conjuring demons
  • Khitrost The art of artifice and crafting empowered artifacts
  • Bestelesnyy The art of becoming incorporeal
  • Alkhimiya The art of mixing powerful potions and drugs
  • Nagovor The art of casting powerful hexes
  • Oblika The art of taking on other forms
Now we need a couple of extra Backgrounds that probably could have been done with the backgrounds of the basic book but are slightly tailored to this book:
  • Master (Like Mentor, but an otherworldly being grants you increased mystical power)
  • Old Money (Like Resources, but better because it's accrued interest for a century or so)
  • Indebtment (Like Influence exerted through Allies or Contacts, as it's people whose lives/children/whatever you saved)
The party is called an "Obitel'.”

The human super scientist enemies are called The Bureau
The "just like you, but antagonists" enemies are called Cultists
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Back in the golden years before nWoD was a thing, in the brief time before "the kind of people who play WoD" turned me off White Wolf, I vaguely wrote up a "Psychic: the Mindfuck" thing. I think the "Bad Stat" (Paradox, Rage, Banality - Vampire doesn't use that because it has Humanity as a Good Stat) was just Madness, which creeps up as you open your mind too much (specifically, failing mental tests when interacting with minds of others). I can't remember what I called the "Expensive Stat that determines whether you win the game or not" (Essence, Rank, again Vampire inverts it for Generation) but there was one. Can't remember what the "psychic power points you spend" were called.

The Clans/Tribes/Your Mum were divided as you'd probably expect - Pyrokineticists, Telekineticists, Telepaths, Biokineticists, Something Else.

And there was some other one that was the "evil, not for PCs" one, like the Black Spiral Dancers (and arguably like the Sabbat Clans were supposed to be).

It was pretty crappy, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was worse than the actual psychics book WW eventually churned out, or indeed the Orpheus.

As for nWoD madlibs, there was that silly Eldar: the Moping or whatever, which again was a joke.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Needless to say, literally every tradition of monks says that Rasputin was one of them.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Why am I reminded of this article?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Prak_Anima wrote:Needless to say, literally every tradition of monks says that Rasputin was one of them.
If you ever actually address this in the lore, you need to give a really stupid reason. e.g. He actually had five personalities and each one started a tradition.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

So in Gather: The Magicking, you get to be from one of five Geomantic Traditions: Albus, Cerul, Ebus, Crimsus, or Verdent. Then you are a member of one of five [Factions]: The Humans, The Mechanoids, The Merfolk, The Elves, or the Supernaturals.
The special Potency stat is called Budget; and power points are called Vitality.
Disciplines in the generic sense are called “Builds” and our specific Build paths are named:

Incinerus
Aggrous
Control

...etc.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Red_Rob wrote:Why am I reminded of this article?
The core critique is solid, but the homophobic examples come off as cringeworthy as classic Eddie Murphy standup routines. 3/5.

-Username17
hyzmarca
Prince

Re: NWoD High Concept Mad Libs

Post by hyzmarca »

Form:
So in [Slut: The Shaming], you get to be from one of five [Sluts]: Skank, Bitch, Bimbo, Closet, or Drunken. Then you are a member of one of five [Factions]: The Ethical Sluts, The Homewreckers, The Polyamorous, The Trendy, or the Party.
The special Potency statis called Drive; and power points are called Desire.

Disciplines in the generic sense are called “ ” and our specific [Discipline] paths are named: (make 12-15, some number of factions have exclusive paths)
  • ( )
The party is called a " Gang.”

The human super scientist enemies are called Prudes
The "just like you, but antagonists" enemies are called Whores]

Or is that too tasteless?
Last edited by hyzmarca on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The super scientists should probably be Sex Therapists.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

No, they are just called:

T H E R A P I S T S

For 200 Alex.

-Username17
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Red_Rob wrote:Why am I reminded of this article?
The core critique is solid, but the homophobic examples come off as cringeworthy as classic Eddie Murphy standup routines. 3/5.

-Username17
At first blush I thought the same thing, but after reading the whole thing I thought the point was done pretty well.