General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Worlds in Peril: a Apocalypse World Superhero hack

Post by silva »

The kickstarter is live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63 ... s-in-peril

I dont like the superhero genre myself, but it may be interesting for those who do.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: Worlds in Peril: a Apocalypse World Superhero hack

Post by Kaelik »

silva wrote:I dont like the superhero genre myself, but it may be interesting for those who do.
No it wouldn't because it will be a shit hack of a shit ruleset that tries as hard as possible to not actually be any rules at all.

In before they give an explicit example in the book of a 7-9 in your attempt to kill a minion resulting in four more minions showing up just as you finish off that one.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

The KS looks like something for playing low-grade capes like the eternally jinxed Daredevil and Spider-Man, but I don't see it handling anything of Avengers' league and up.

Call it "intuition."
Last edited by Dogbert on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

Kaelik wrote:
silva wrote:I dont like the superhero genre myself, but it may be interesting for those who do.
No it wouldn't because it will be a shit hack of a shit ruleset that tries as hard as possible to not actually be any rules at all.

In before they give an explicit example in the book of a 7-9 in your attempt to kill a minion resulting in four more minions showing up just as you finish off that one.
When you roll 7-9, a mook attacks Aunt May, and you have to fail at what you're doing to go save her.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Thats actually a cool half-success option, Sakuya. Theres a nice "ugly choice" involved.

You would give a nice Apoc World MC. :mrgreen:
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Sakuya Izayoi wrote:When you roll 7-9, a mook attacks Aunt May, and you have to fail at what you're doing to go save her.
In all fairness, having to stop whatever you're doing to deal with collateral damage and prevent casualties is the bread and butter of mid-to-top leagues superhero fights.

Still, this hack would have to incorporate "Yes, AND" (as opposed to "yes, but") as well as many player-empowering, death-defying, and realism-go-home tools for the game to feel like superhero emulation and not some Fiasco: Capes and Tights Edition.
Last edited by Dogbert on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dogbert wrote:
Sakuya Izayoi wrote:When you roll 7-9, a mook attacks Aunt May, and you have to fail at what you're doing to go save her.
In all fairness, having to stop whatever you're doing to deal with collateral damage and prevent casualties is the bread and butter of mid-to-top leagues superhero fights.

Still, this hack would have to incorporate "Yes, AND" (as opposed to "yes, but") as well as many player-empowering, death-defying, and realism-go-home tools for the game to feel like superhero emulation and not some Fiasco: Capes and Tights Edition.
I think the point is that 7-9 is supposed to be a success with complication, but literally "your mom dies" is so fucking bad that no one will ever choose that, so instead 7-9 becomes failure.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Dogbert wrote:The KS looks like something for playing low-grade capes like the eternally jinxed Daredevil and Spider-Man, but I don't see it handling anything of Avengers' league and up.

Call it "intuition."
I agree.
The whole thing about your mom( or bonds wasn't it?) dying on a 7-9 is way more in line with what you describe.

It also reminds me of "Dead parents" being the standard adventure background. So I wonder is it lowby powers only. Teleportatin and superspeed could go a long way to fix narrative problems, well at least I'd think so.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I don't usually follow Kickstarter stuff, but I know some of you might. How do these "(insert game system) heartbreakers" do on there? Successful?
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Hit or miss. Fake-White Wolf does fine, and well known names do fine (see: Monte Cook).
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

"Powers Only Limited By Your Creativity And Imagination" seems to be code for "Bullshit Up Whatever The Hell Your MC Lets You Get Away With". :bored: