General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Heisenberg
Apprentice

[SRPC] Strength/Body and Charisma/Willpower Implementation

Post by Heisenberg »

As mentioned in this thread.

How is this for an implementation?

Strength is a derived physical attribute based on (and equal to) Body. Every point of Body you buy gets you a free point of Strength. Strength helps determine melee damage, throwing weapon ranges, and (if you choose to use them) encumbrance limits.

A few things in the game (Spells, Cyberware, perhaps a Quality or two) may modify Strength without modifying Body. When Body changes during play (i.e. from Increase/Decrease Attribute spells), Strength does not automatically change with it.

Willpower is a derived physical attribute based on (and equal to) Charisma. Every point of Charisma you buy gets you a free point of Willpower. Willpower helps in resisting magic, and resisting drain. Hermetic-type spellcasters resist drain with Willpower + Intuition, and Shamanic-type spellcasters resist drain with Willpower + Logic.

A few things in the game (Spells, perhaps a Quality or two) may directly modify Willpower without modifying Charisma. When Charisma is changed by a means other than spending BP on it(i.e. from Increase/Decrease Attribute spells or from charisma-boosting cyberware), Willpower does not automatically change with it.

Body and Charisma are purchased normally, making the core attribute array:

Body
Agility
Reaction
Charisma
Intuition
Logic

Overall Build Points are reduced to...and here I'm kind of struggling. I am guessing somewhere in the 320 BP to 360 BP range but I am not entirely sure. How much should not having to put points in Strength and Willpower be worth to keep characters around the same power level. (I'd BP to be a round number, since you have to halve BP to determine your attribute-expenditure cap for BP.)[/b]
Lokathor
Duke

Re: [SRPC] Strength/Body and Charisma/Willpower Implementation

Post by Lokathor »

Why are you keeping them separate at all?
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

I agree with Lokator, Heisenberg. Why keep those separated at all ? Its seems more logical, and less complex, just blending Str and Bod in the same thing, whatever it is called. (the same goes to Cha and Will).
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen