[3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

ubernoob wrote:Juggernaut. Damage is size based. Large(enlarge) -> huge(juggernaut). D10 -> 2d8 -> 3d8. Great bow is d10 base.
Wait... I don't think that is how it works.
Juggernaut wrote:You may be considered one size category larger for the purposes of any size dependant roll you make (such as a Bull Rush, Overrun, or Lift action).
I think it just affects your size modifier for special combat maneuvers, not for actual weapons.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Well, damage is based on the weapon you're using, and the weapons you're allowed to use are based on your size, but the weapons you use aren't themselves a size-dependent roll. Like, a normal greatsword is 2d6, and if you hand it to a guy with Juggernaut it's still just 2d6. Particularly in the case of a soulblade, where it's a magical implement based on your literal creature size more than anything to do with what you can physically lift or not.

I mean I guess I could accept the argument that you're basically using a Monkey Grip effect to use oversized weapons or something. Just seems weird, and I don't think that's how the feat was intended to work.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I mean given the level of "houserule everything mishmash" we're already going with I don't care too much.

However, I maintain that, technically speaking:
That section is talking about Natural Attacks. Manufactured weapons have damage based on the weapon's size, which is fixed on a per-object basis.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm
Weapon Categories wrote:Weapon Size
Every weapon has a size category. This designation indicates the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.
Weapon Qualities wrote:Damage
The Damage columns give the damage dealt by the weapon on a successful hit. The column labeled "Dmg (S)" is for Small weapons. The column labeled "Dmg (M)" is for Medium weapons. If two damage ranges are given then the weapon is a double weapon. Use the second damage figure given for the double weapon’s extra attack. Table: Larger and Smaller Weapon Damage gives weapon damage values for weapons of various sizes.
And it's also clear that a weapon (and thus the damage from that weapon) doesn't automatically change size when you hand it to someone else, because sometimes you can be forced to use the wrong size weapon:
Weapon Categories wrote:Inappropriately Sized Weapons
A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
So then Races of War did have Weapon Size rules that changed around a bit the limits on what you can use a weapon or not, but the limit of what size object you can use as a weapon is still not a size dependent roll, so you still can't use Juggernaut to wield a Hill Giant's Greatsword and get bigger manufactured weapon damage. Though, I could see an argument for having Juggernaut increase a character's natural attack damage; then you can just drop Improved Natural Attack out of the feat list without worrying that Monks lose out.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I've always read it as not giving you bonus weapon damage, but thought that it probably should have.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

ubernoob wrote:I'm not going to argue wording voodoo. Juggernaut does not let you wield weapons that are physically bigger than you would normally use (because it doesn't do that). It does function call when you roll damage because damage is based on size.
Wait, does that mean that if Wahid took Juggernaut he could take a Fine-sized sword and deal damage as though it were Large? That's kinda cool, even if there'd probably be some kind of attack penalty.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
ubernoob wrote:I'm not going to argue wording voodoo. Juggernaut does not let you wield weapons that are physically bigger than you would normally use (because it doesn't do that). It does function call when you roll damage because damage is based on size.
Wait, does that mean that if Wahid took Juggernaut he could take a Fine-sized sword and deal damage as though it were Large? That's kinda cool, even if there'd probably be some kind of attack penalty.
I mean under the normal rules you can't, because normally weapon damage is based on the size of the weapon (or the size of the launcher, for projectile weapons), which is why thrown weapons that have been reduced by Reduce Person and then thrown do their regular damage, since they return to normal size in mid-flight (and the weapon's size is what determines the damage, not the user's size). Meanwhile, melee weapons used by someone under a Reduce Person deal less damage, because the melee weapon is held in hand the whole time so it stays reduced.
Last edited by Lokathor on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Shrink for the Hit/AC bonuses and then start hurling axes at people, that sounds like a fun character concept.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Still kinda cool. Thanks, I'll probably use this for my next Tome character.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

If I thought we'd get high enough level, I'd say someone should run the Big McFuckenLargenhuge build.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I actually did consider it with my character but I wasn't sure where we'd end up power level wise so I just stuck with a not particularly optimized true fiend, which isn't really all that impressive by tome standards.
bears fall, everyone dies
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

We can always respec at higher levels, right? Keep it simple for Rad to start out with and once he gets his sea legs as an MC we can get into the goofy shit.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Sorry guys, university stuff kept coming up. We can probably start within 12 to 48 hours from now, but might have to go on hiatus later till the end of the month.

About Juggernaut:
Juggernaut wrote:You may be considered one size category larger for the purposes of any size dependant roll you make (such as a Bull Rush, Overrun, or Lift action).
ubernoob, the page you linked refers to natural size increases from hit dice gain, I doubt that applies to weapons. Weapon damage is based on the size of the weapon, not your size as far as I can tell.

However,
srd wrote:Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.
Size penalty for inappropriately sized weapons is part of an attack roll, so if you just use a huge blade, you could be considered huge and waive the penalty for that, but keep the attack penalty for being large instead of the one for being huge.

This strongly reminds me of powerful build which is similar and explicitly allows you to wield weapons one size larger without a penalty, which I suspect this was based on.

However, we could take this to IMHO, and maybe Frank or K will clear it up.

Avoraciopoctules: If I interpreted this correctly, 'you' being considered larger would only reduce your attack bonus with the weapon, so I don't think it would help, but yeah, if ubernoob's right, go for it.
As for optimization levels, pick one you guys find fun. I can always operate at a higher CR, but yeah, you can respec later on if you're fine with your current characters. I'll adjust the CR if things seem to easy or too hard (with more/fewer enemies appearing, I won't adjust their stats midbattle)
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Yes, there's general rules that specify damage based on size, and then there's a specific other section that specifies manufactured weapon damage being based on the size of the manufactured weapons. And specific overrides general. Weapons deal damage based on their own size, not based on who's holding them.

And on top of that, Juggernaut still just affects things you actually get a size based bonus to. Not everything your size affects that's a roll at all. So it affects grapple and overrun and all that, but not base damages (not even base damage on natural attacks).
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

radthemad4 wrote:As for optimization levels, pick one you guys find fun. I can always operate at a higher CR, but yeah, you can respec later on if you're fine with your current characters. I'll adjust the CR if things seem to easy or too hard (with more/fewer enemies appearing, I won't adjust their stats midbattle)
I'm aiming for slightly below par compared to party average. Dunno why, but I really enjoy losing a character or two early on in campaigns, it makes the stakes feel more serious. But multiple punches a round and decent defenses should keep Wahid from being a genuine liability.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I'm pretty sure a sorcerer is always a liability >_< You get the flimsy factor of a wizard (d6 HD, but no AC anyway), and you don't even get the option to learn all the crazy scrolls you find. Oh well.

I'm with Avoraciopoctules, if someone dies you can just make a tougher dude and keep going.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm reasonably optimistic about starting within 24 hours.

Some of you have different senses, e.g. darkvision, blindsense, scent, etc. and the others don't. How should I handle this? Should I put up whatever any of you can see for all of you to see, or should I code some sort of 'click your character and you can see what s/he senses' system?

Cynic: you still in? You can join anytime but I'll probably start soon.

ubernoob: Keep the bonus. I'll just pretend you're refluffing huge blades as large blades.

Do you guys want to start with all of your characters together, or do you want to approach the dungeon from different parts/at different times and meet somewhere in the middle?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I would prefer not to split the party and to assume that the people with special senses aren't total jerks and would mention if they see something that the others can't.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Then you've either agreed to dungeoncrawl together beforehand, or you all met in the outskirts. I'm fine either way. I'll put up more details about the dungeon soon to help you come up with a plan for approaching it.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Darkvision that ignores magical darkness and works out to unlimited range is my whole thing, so I totally want to have maps that go as big as you can draw them and descriptions that include as much about things as far away as possible, but I would also obviously not just be describing every single thing to the others all the time. You can just include stuff in spoiler blocks and it should be fine.

but yeah, all one group seems fine to start.