So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Yeah, Kill la Kill was great. One of theose series that just keeps building on itself.

A friend of mine recommended Saint Seiya, so I've started watching that. I'm about twenty episodes in, and it's been decent so far. The way the symbolism is all over the map grates a bit, but so far neither the heroes nor the villains have been complete idiots. I'm just wondering what happened to the other saints/knights - surely Bear and Hydra could have at least thrashed some mooks if they'd gotten their armour repaired too. It wouldn't have worked, but they could have at least tried.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, huh. Yeah, that's her. Thanks.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

rampaging-poet wrote:Yeah, Kill la Kill was great. One of theose series that just keeps building on itself.
http://youtu.be/55iX64NmUDA
What if 4Kids dubbed KILL LA KILL: Bully La Bully
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I am now six episodes into Kill La Kill.

I believe the new rule for me watching anime is that if it is in any way even tangentially connected to Gainax, I should just check it out.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

New one called An Irregular At Magical Highschool. It's apparently an action show set in a future Earth with technomagic. The protagonist barely got into the lower class of a top-end school because he aced the written but wasn't great at the practical, while his sister got the top slot, probably on account of how she can make a stove ice over unintentionally.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
dirkformica
NPC

Post by dirkformica »

Stahlseele wrote:i also watched the 13th episode of seitokai yakuindomo just now and am so so sad that it's ending q.q
the ending looked a bit as if there might be some more to "come" though *snickers* sorry, i could not help myself with that series and that pun ^^
Loved that show too. Have you seen the, I think 6 maybe 8, OAVs? I also believe it's getting another 13 ep season.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Everyone Else wrote: Kill la Kill
I'll have you know you are all time vampires.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

dirkformica wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:i also watched the 13th episode of seitokai yakuindomo just now and am so so sad that it's ending q.q
the ending looked a bit as if there might be some more to "come" though *snickers* sorry, i could not help myself with that series and that pun ^^
Loved that show too. Have you seen the, I think 6 maybe 8, OAVs? I also believe it's getting another 13 ep season.
the following happened:
i watcvhed the 1st episode of season 2.
then i went and torrented a 1080p version of both s1 and the OVA and basically watched them all in one sitting.
And then i watched S2 on the fly as the horriblesubs were torrented out.

and i so do hope that it will get another season *-*
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Damn, I'm broke, and I just learned about the Kill La Kill Drinking Game

That said... I'm watching this on Hulu, and while I do prefer subs over dubs, it is killing my my productivity. Anyone know of a place with dubs?

Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

So it's a new season and we all know what that means, another Manga Time Kirara adaption. From the people who brought you Yuyushiki, Kin'iro Mosaic, and Sakura Trick we now have Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka. Its pretty cute. Nothing groundbrakeing but I know I'll be back weekly to feed my moe addiction.

Also following Akuma no Riddle because I heard that there would be yuri in it.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

from what i have seen on sankaku complex(warning, this site is not safe for any kind of environment), the new season does not look very promising . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

oooh!
i forgot about Love Live! Season 2 in this anime season!
SO gonna watch that!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

"Ragyo Kiryuin and Gendo Ikari, best mom & dad pair ever"
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Serial Experiment Lain.

I am on episode 12 of 13. I think I sort of know what is going on. Maybe. At least I'm pretty sure which characters who show up directly actually exist.

For some perspective, by episode 4 I was pretty convinced Lain was the technomancer prophet of an awakening AI god. Then the plot went completely insane.
Last edited by name_here on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse.

It's set in a world where freaky biotech aliens called BETA invaded sometime during the 20th century, and humanity has been fighting them with mecha. Also conventional military weapons, but this show actually makes a good case for doing mecha instead, because they like to lead with a bunch of critters with carapace plating on the front that can bounce tank shells and support them with AA lasers so the flight ceiling is 100 meters for hundreds of miles around. It has not been going well at all.

The alien vs. robot parts are good, but it's hampered by a romance plot that seems kind of out of character for the female lead and by a massive multilayered idiot plot of the form that always bugs me in this sort of story.
Basically, the nations of the world are still maneuvering for advantage against each other, despite how they're in a genocidal war which they are losing. It is so not the time for that shit.

So, firstly, Japan has invented this badass new gun, which in some vaguely defined fashion produces a continuous beam or volley of projectiles that cuts through basically anything. However, they insist on keeping it from falling into the hands of... the USSR. When most of Eurasia is under alien control.

Now, once you have a gun, you need to put it on something. So they've also got their next-generation mech built with significant help from the US because half of Japan has fallen. It's designed like a Japanese mecha instead of an American mecha and so focuses on speed and maneuverability and has much more sensitive controls. Naturally, the test pilot is Yui, veteran pilot of the Imperial Guard and also conveniently already in the area because she's on the design team for both prototypes. Wait, no, that would make sense. Picking a Japanese veteran who isn't on the design team would also make sense. Instead they grab an American test pilot who is apparently pretty good but thinks the Japanese controls are too touchy.

However, the dubious honor of "Most Stupid" goes to the Soviet Union, which is still around on account of how overthrowing it while the BETA are overrunning fortress line after fortress line would be almost as stupid as they are. Okay, so the Japanese have their gun and aren't sharing, but they also want to give the thing a combat trial. Thus, a Soviet commander comes up with a cunning plan:
  • After the BETA launch a major tunneling assault inland, don't collapse the tunnels after repelling them.

Offer the services of a supply base near these tunnels for the test

Get them to deploy the prototype mech without the gun so it can't be easily transported on account of being huge.\

When the BETA come up through the tunnels again, evacuate all personnel from the base while jamming the test group's communication, then steal the gun when retaking the base

Don't worry about how you've totally let a massive attack force behind your lines; an airstrike will take care of that
Now, as you may recall, I mentioned how the BETA have anti-air lasers. But not to worry, they haven't used them on this front before and won't in the future because... actually, that's a very good question. One you should probably answer before constructing a plan utterly dependent on that not happening.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Oh, right. I still haven't watched Kill La Kill...
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Anime club finished for the semester on Wednesday. I hadn't actually shown up for several weeks, but I kept up with the full-length series. The last couple episodes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure rocked my socks off. Fate Zero made me alternate between loving and hating Archer because he's a smug bastard who occasionally has good advice. Kotomine giving Rin that knife was just evil. I'm not entirely sure what to make of Shin Sekai Yori's ending other than "slavery is bad, m'kay?"
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Man Kill La Kill that ending what

Anyway, watched the first couple episodes of Akuma no Riddle, think it might actually be worth something. And now I know what the NOT in Soul Eater NOT means.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Well, guess I'll post a big rundown of what I've been watching in the new season.

An Irregular at Magic Highschool: I'm liking this one a lot. Characters are fun, technomagic is cool, fight scenes are good. It's got an uncomfortable genetic superiority theme going, though. I mean, there's inklings of that in any setting where magic is determined by birth, but the main characters endorse the idea to an extent.

Chaika the Coffin Princess: So there was a great war against an evil wizard emperor, until eight heroes defeated him and cut his body apart to keep it from being used as a focus for dark magic, then stuffed the parts into vaults. Now that guy's daughter wants to reassemble the corpse and bury it properly. She, her adorably broken speech pattern and trusty magic-focusing sniper rifle, and a pair of adoptive sibling magic assassins she met on the road must dodge people who think she's planning to use it to unleash terrible vengeance against everyone. Cute and fun.

Black Bullet: There was this invasion by terrifying viral transformation aliens called Gastrea that can rapidly regenerate from just about anything ten years before the series starts. Humanity has two assets in the war against them: Varanium, a mystery black metal that <technobabble> which interferes with their regeneration and has been used to create giant monoliths that keep them out of cities, and the Cursed Children, who got infected in utero and therefore have superpowers but may turn into a rampaging alien monster. Since they're all girls age ten or younger, they're paired with members of some ill-defined private contractor complex to keep them in line. Also, everyone hates them and they're the target of lynch mobs instead of receiving all the nice things for fighting giant bug monsters in hand-to-hand. I like this one a lot.

Akuma no Riddle: Twelve female assassins are placed in a class together and offered a prize for killing the thirteenth member, who they are told is some naive and innocent person. This is apparently someone's idea of a practical joke.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

there is really nothing exciting for me in this season *sadface*
the first exciting thing i have found is a new Seitokai Yakuindomo OAD, but that has no subs as of yet ._.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So I used to watch and keep good track of Naruto and Hunter X Hunter. And I still keep some track of both. But both obviously jumped the Shark in completely different ways, and that is what I want to talk about.

Hunter
Hunter X Hunter sold me on the premise of the Hunter test, and obviously I have no problem with Nen, because super powers are cool, and even the theives arc was fine, because it was all crazy new ways to use Nen every ten seconds.

But then... The Chimera Ants Arc. That is eternal. It just goes on and on and on, and makes less and less sense. At one point, during the invasion of the King, they literally just had the Narrator do 100% of the dialogue for an episode, and he talked most of the time just describing Killau's thoughts. Fuck, you can't even write dialogue in first person and have Killau voice actor say it?

And there aren't even any interesting fights to make it worthwhile. You get like one vaguely interesting Lightning=Superspeed thing, a giant statute, and cell a clone mechanic for like many many episodes.

And plot wise, fuck the chimera ants. Like, super not interesting save the world or die motivation for the one group, and this super stupid the bad guy falling in love will save us all crap on the other. I just can't give a shit, as compared with what I felt were much better motivations before.
Naruto
Oh God. Obviously most people know that this has problems with filler out the ass and shit, sure. And don't get me started on the whole Madara thing, that was dumb. But right now, I'm watching the continuation of their big climactic battle for like eleven thousand years and I just... uggg. Why can't they just have a fight? Why do they have to constantly fucking upgrade the scope of the badguys like infinity times over. Like right now, Madara and the other guy basically the worst bullshit of invincible badguys with the master fucking plan that has ever existed in any media ever.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I jumped ship on Naruto when
Danzo was finally given a back story then was killed because Sasuke went stupid evil for reasons I couldn't understand, but is later explained as a 'curse' I don't remember hearing about. Either way the show had lost me at that point
so I've been out of the loop for a while.

I'm still stomaching H X H because I'm genuinely curious as to what's going to happen to Gon. I actually don't care about many of the other characters. I was curious about what the old guy can do and I've seen it now so Gon is all I got left.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'm convinced that the Knights of Sidonia theme is the true Japanese national anthem.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I'm trying to remember an anime I saw several years ago.

It's a fantasy setting set in medieval (not modern?) japan with one of the main plots being that the life of a young prince is being guarded by this mysterious female warrior.

It's basd off a light novel or just plain novel series but the anime only deals with one of the novels. As far as I know, it only ran for a single season but I apparently don't know much based off this vague description.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Got around to watching Break/Broken Blade on crunchyroll for some inspiration on some projects. Planet where people are able to manipulate quartz using magic, and it ends up replacing most mechanical or electrical devices we have now; still is a weird mix of high tech and oldschool, though.

Break Blade is a decent series. The annoyingly pacifistic protagonist has grown some balls, thankfully. The tech has been my main interest, though. The tactics on screen are braindead sometimes, but it is still interesting to watch.

I'm kind of unclear why they bother to use quartz in place of steel or bronze for their mech armour and swords, though. Shit was constantly shattering, so I didn't seem like their quartz manipulation was helping that much (think they mainly just used it for moving the mechs).

Anyway. Decent series and the main character wasn't a 15 year old (was 26) and was about 45% the usual weenie level of most protagonists.

Weird part was the 12 year old pilot with a decidedly adult body and appearance. Thankfully it was noticed within the series as being weird as fuck (there were hints of her being a lab experiment).

Animation was gorgeous and character designs were great too. Mecha designs and fights were good, brainfarts aside. Worth watching.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press