PhilDickian Cyberpunk Game thread

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Josh_Kablack
King

PhilDickian Cyberpunk Game thread

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Cyperpunk: a science-fiction sub genre in which changing information technology (the cyber) is transforming the social order. The genre convention is that the younger generation(the punks) is adept with the new technology, and pre-existing social structures are ill-prepared to handle either the technology and/or the social changes adoption of the technology is precipitating. Cyberpunk tends to be dark, pessimistic and gritty, which much of the look of works in the genre bearing similarities to film noir.

PhilDickian: like the writings of sci-fi author Philip K. Dick. Obligatory immature joke. Most often, this means a protagonist who has to solve mysteries and otherwise struggle inside an environment that may or may not be real. Other common tropes include psychic abilities, addiction, and nonhuman entities striving against each other through the use of human proxies.

Now there's a lot of overlap between these two. Virtual worlds are a prime setting for a Dickian "what is reality?" climax; Psychic abilities have a lot of overlap with information technology and even show up outright in some notable cyberpunk writings; Addiction is a common component of characters in all sorts of gritty settings and is a key part of the conflict between individual freedom and profiteering pharma corps, and the various AIs in cyberspace are easily indinstinguishable from Dick's nonhuman entities that may be aliens may be space probes or may be angels from the old testament. So the two fit together pretty well, and with the gritty film-noirish big screen adaptations of many of his works (Blade Runner, Total Recall, Second Variety, Paycheck, Minority Report, etc)
Dick is sometimes called a forefather of cyberpunk, even though his written works weren't exactly cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk is a pretty snap-tite fit for the usual conceits
of a TTRPG, The PCs get to be a set of "punks" using spiffy new technology to influence the game world, while striving against powerful and reactionary fictional institutions.Or they can be specialized cybersecurity forces for the entrenched order trying to rein in the malicious actions of such hooligans. Either way, there are instant hooks for how PCs can participate as a team in a meaningful conflict that influences the setting.

Yet while Philip K. Dick's writings have a lot of elements that can make for cool RPG elements, and a lot of neat examination of how those elements influence a setting, the central question of Philip K. Dick's fiction is very problematic for a TTRPG. The central question of most Phildickian heroes is "what is reality?", and a TTRPG is a shared fictional experience, where all the participants know that it is fictional. So there's an issue of meta-narrative in used layered realities which have some layers more and less real than other layers. Unless your entire playgroup is dropping LSD, the reality of the players sitting at the table will always be the most "real" of the layers, undermining a lot of the suspense and mitigating the mystery.

So any attempt at a Phildickian RPG has to accept the reality of the players at the game table as design constraint on asking "what is reality" and expecting the PCs to be able to come up with a meaningful in-game answer. Here are a few possibilities off the top of my head
  • Count on the players to be really good actors have their characters act as if they didn't have players, even especially when things get all trippy and metaphysical.
  • Run adventures where the correct answer to "what is reality" is "it doesn't matter, what's important is what you do no matter where you are". This has some really interesting moral and philosophical ramifications for a hobby about pretending to be murderhobos, as adressed by John Tynes's Power Kill metagame.
  • The Over The Edge angle: run the adventure where the PCs find out they are RPG characters and transcend to meet their players. This only works once.
  • The Dream Park angle: the players themselves play players at some sort of VR arcade (or other conceit) and those fictional players are the ones running characters in a game inside a game. This opens up several possibilities but also runs a risk of turning into layered Cartesian Demons if it isn't handled well, or if the playgroup isn't on board with the idea.
  • Ignore the question entirely and just use secondary elements from Philip K. Dick's writings, you can do a game about anti-precognition, android hunting, or narcing on your slacker buddies as an unwitting agent in the governments secret inner-city drug sales progam just fine.
and that should start this thread off nicely
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I would have said that Dick primarily explores what it means to be human, and only explores reality as a subset of that. So, if you look at The Third Kind (basis for the movie Screamers), for example, it's pretty clear what's real. It's not at all clear whether everyone is human, or how you would even usefully set criteria for asking. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner) and We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (Total Recall, more like the '12 version), do delve into how memory defines reality, but only as part of asking how memory defines identity. Same for A Scanner Darkly, though that was more about deliberately sacrificing identity.

So, I assert that you absolutely can pull Dickian themes into games without trouble at all. It's hard to make an unreliable narrator into a theme when you already explicitly forced to have an unreliable narrator, but its trivially easy to co-opt it as a tool.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well, the Dick story which Screamers is based on is actually titled Second Variety.

And it's true that humanity and reality overlap in Philip K. Dick's work, such as the theory that Deckerd is himself a replicant with memory implants.
But many of Dick's major works, such as Ubik, The Man in the High Castle, and the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch are all explicitly about protagonists who realize they are in layered reality and attempt to figure out what's going on and which reality is really real.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
duo31
Apprentice

Post by duo31 »

I think that layered reality should be handled by plot twists ala a Die Hard movie.

Unless there is copious amounts of cannabis being smoked, i don't want to play Existenz the TTRPG.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't think that the fact that the most real layer while reading Clans of the Alphane Moon is that you are a person sitting on the couch reading a book. I don't think that materially takes away from the enjoyment of the experience.

Materially, in a Phildickian syberpunk game, you should be able to play something which is not a human. Androids for starters. Probably at least a couple of other non-human or at least arguably non-human like a vat job. It doesn't have to allow intelligent slime molds and rat uplifts, but of it totally could. Very crucially, you should be able to become non-human during play. Either through discovery that you really never were human to begin with, or through transformation.

Dynamically, every player should be required to define a period of "missing time" in their character's backstory. Furthermore, every character should have at least one skill or major piece of equipment that they did not have before the period of missing time. Things may be discovered about the period of missing time over the course of play, or not.

-Username17
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Third Kind, Second Variety; potato, potato. (My bad)

I remember having read Three Stigmata and High Castle, but couldn't tell you anything about them if you paid me. I still think my lens makes it easier to build an RPG.

edit: to clarify though, androids are obviously in, because Dicks ruminations on what is human obviously included androids, both witting and un.
Last edited by fectin on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Yeah, it's kinda my point that having the participants go, "wait, this isn't real" in the midst of an ongoing co-operative storytelling game where those participants are also co-authors runs into difficulty. I can't adequately explain why that's a bigger issue for an rpg than for a novel or short story in the time I have.......so moving on.......probably the way to handle it is to set up a game setting that contains a dozen different sub realities. There's an in-game real default reality setting. But in that reality exist completely immersive VR; and memory editing technology; and precognitive trances of potential futures; and designer drugs that grant the user lucid dreams; and ways for a brain in a jar to share hallucinations and so on and so forth. It's expected that a fair number of PCs will have elements like these in their backstory. And it's expected that any given MC may invoke such setting conceits to change a potential endgame state.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Dick did a lot of short stories too. Let me get out my copy of Paycheck and list the plot devices:

MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILERS
Stability: Society is run by a great big central planning machine that calculates probabilities. Personal gliders should be a thing. Likewise, the scene with the angel and the city could be used in a game.
Roog: Filth-eating supernatural creatures as garbagemen. Dogs to keep evil spirits out of houses.
The Little Movement: Toys that are actually spies for a corporation, AI or other organization. Toys from a rival organization fighting the new toys and destroying them.
Beyond Lies the Wub: A species of telepathic being which can travel from mind to mind. Often lives in livestock, taking over the minds of those who eat the meat.
The Gun: A self-repairing autonomous weapons system protects a city from air travel. Noone seems to know how to disable it.
The Skull: Predestination based time travel, and the religion founded around one such time traveler.
The Defenders: Radiation-proof robots fighting a 1981-esque fictional war on the surface while humans live in shelters underground. Eventually, the secret gets out and some humans found a settlement on the surface.
Mr. Spaceship: A dying professor becomes a cyborg and is installed as the navigation system for a spaceship.
Piper in the Woods: A memetic disease makes the infected believe they are plants, living in the woods and basking in sunlight.
The Infinites: Ancient alien uplift device uplifts humans and gerbils into crazy forehead aliens.
The Preserving Machine: A machine that turns music into animals.
Expendable: Insects are secretly highly intelligent lifeforms originally created by the first humans. Humanity has since had a war, reducing us into barbarism but leaving the insects untouched. The insects now plan to uplift the humans.
The Variable Man: More about PKD's ideas on time travel. A Time Scoop is used to grab someone from the past in order to study him. He escapes and runs wild through a future where humans have forgotten how to hand-craft items. His expertise is valued and fought after. Also featured: the same central planning machine from Stability.
The Indefatigable Frog: Scientists create a shrinking device in order to finally answer Zeno's Paradox by shrinking a frog by 50% after each hop.
The Crystal Crypt: An alternative application of the shrinking device, this time to steal a city by shrinking it down and hiding it in a snow globe. Also, spy antics.
The Short Happy Life of the Brown Oxford: A man discovers a method by which shoes can be animated and brought to life. The shoe escapes just before the press arrives, leaving the doctor to despair.
The Builder: Modern retelling of the Noah's Ark story.
Meddler: A Time Scoop that scoops things from the future! Repeated dips into the future seem to only leave events worse and worse. Why? The future is ruined by metal-eating butterflies brought to the past via the Time Scoop.
Paycheck: A secretive business offers workers the following deal: In exchange for work, you have your memories wiped and are given a choice between a very large sum of money or a small envelope with a small number of items inside, selected using a future-oriented Time Scoop to be extremely valuable, even life-saving, to have once your employment contract is up.
The Great C: A giant computer in the distant future, after the Bomb has destroyed the world, demands human sacrifice: Each sacrifice may ask three questions and if it cannot stump the computer, the sacrifice is killed.
Out in the Garden: Duck sex. Duckholding. Duck-human hybrids.
The King of the Elves: An old man is appointed King of the Elves. His neighbors believe that he has gone insane and that the Elves do not exist. It is revealed that one of his neighbors is the Great Troll King. The old man slays the wicked troll with a shovel and goes off to live in the Elven Kingdom.
Colony: A space colony is attacked my D&D-style mimics. They murder most of the colonists. The colony calls for help, only to be devoured by a mimic posing as the rescue ship.
Prize Ship: A ship is discovered, thought to be a space ship which will win the war. Unfortunately, the controls are not labelled. Once used, they arrive on a planet of tiny humans and it is thought that the device is a shrinking machine. In truth, it is a time machine and the past is small due to the expansion of the universe.
Nanny: Robot nannies battle during he night, murdering robot nannies produced by other companies. As time goes on, the nannies become more and more warlike until they're hardly useful for raising children at all.
I think you'll notice a common theme here: the effects of precognition (be it using time travel (as in Paycheck or The Skull), oracle machines (as in The Great C or Stablity) or by just straight up magic (as in The Builder or The Infinites)) on society and on the protagonist.
Last edited by Grek on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Frank and I was chatting about this the other day, and I thought it might be fun to run this kind of game in anti-comic-book time. So like, if you run a game once a week, then when you showed up to play the game a week later it was also one game week later. You could be in the middle of a firefight one session, come back and you all wake up in the morgue, scaring the piss out of the attendant, no clear memory of what happen or where you've been for the last week.
chonz
NPC

Post by chonz »

I would prefer a game that revolved around the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and his vision of the future in that book, as opposed to 'cyberpunk' as a genre.

PKD only used sci fi to sell his stories; he was only interested in dealing with gnostic themes. The weird futures were just icing on the cake.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Certainly Phildickian cyberpunk would be totally OK with magic and brain hacking. It would be weird to leave things like that out.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Beyond Lies the Wub
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Yes, that is the name of a dubstep/glitchcore album waiting to happen.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

chonz wrote:I would prefer a game that revolved around the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and his vision of the future in that book, as opposed to 'cyberpunk' as a genre.

PKD only used sci fi to sell his stories; he was only interested in dealing with gnostic themes. The weird futures were just icing on the cake.
PKD was a schizophrenic who took hallucinogens and questioned the nature of reality and humanity. Even he admits this.