Is human the cheesiest race?

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Is human the cheesiest race?

Post by Lago_AM3P »

While humans don't have the amount of sheer in your face awesomeness that dwarves and elves do, it just seems to me that humans pull ahead (way ahead) of every other race in the game when you do one of these things, which is regarded as cheesy by most people:

Want to load up on PrCs. This is really important if you're a primary spellcaster and can't dilute your caster level with fighter levels.

Abuse the everlovin' spoon out of the polymorphing mechanics.

While even mighty elves and dwarves lose their abilities by being polymorphed into a solar or a firlborg, humans still stay on top. While every other race in the game is saddled with nearly NOTHING when polymorphed, which every cheesy person wants to do, humans still keep their skill point and free feat.

How much should we care about this?
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Is human the cheesiest race?

Post by Username17 »

The Strongheart Halfling gets even more. :shrug:

Regardless, there are few PrCs that you can't qualify for as an Elf, and you'll still be wandering around with that Bow Proficiency.

While even mighty elves and dwarves lose their abilities by being polymorphed into a solar or a firlborg, humans still stay on top. While every other race in the game is saddled with nearly NOTHING when polymorphed, which every cheesy person wants to do, humans still keep their skill point and free feat.

That's not necessarily true. When you polymorph it isn't at all obvious that your Elven bonuses go away. Your +2 Dex certainly goes away, and the Dwarven Con bonus goes away, but what exactly is supposed to happen with the rest of your abilities is an open question.

How much should we care about this?

The only one that really got to me is this:

I played a human Rogue who died and got reincarnated as an Elf. Technically, my feat and skill points remain, and then I gain all the modifiers of being an Elf, which as we know are nearly all good.

Whacky, eh?

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Re: Is human the cheesiest race?

Post by Maj »

I think it comes down to what you value...

At epic levels, I tend to lean towards races that can help me increase the soft cap on my attributes.

Do I want to play a gray elf with an Int of +2 or a human with an extra skill point... Gray elf. They get more perks, and their Int compensates for the skill point (as well as being useful other ways). If I knew what to do with first level feats, I'd probably care about the human bonus feat more, but I don't, so I don't care.

And I really love not having to sleep. For some reason, this has been a useful thing for me.

<shrug>
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.