My Project and 1st class: the Akashic

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Essence
Knight-Baron

My Project and 1st class: the Akashic

Post by Essence »

Version 1.2

I’m going to start a bunch of threads, each featuring a base class with no flavor text (because I’m not interested in critiques on flavor, just on rules mechanics.)

What I’m doing and why:

On another message board (Nifty), once upon a time, a bunch of people tried to get together and rewrite the 3.5 SRD to try and make it playable, i.e. remove the mistakes therein.

The discussion very much interested me particularly when it came to class balance. I totally went off on a massive tangent, and starting on a project to “balance” every class I could find against the most powerful class in the core book (Druids). I developed a system wherein I compared how many feats I would charge for a particular ability (like 1.5 feats for a Sneak Attack die, or .25 feats for Woodland Stride), then added up how many total “feat-equivalents” the base classes had.

The biggest, baddest core class (the druid) had 53 feat-equivalents. So, I went out and pushed every single class up to 53 FEs worth of class features. I’m interested in what people think of the results, so I’ll post them here and see if there’s any interest. :biggrin:

Why power-up rather than power-down? Because I believe in characters-as-heroes and high-magic, and because it’s more fun for the players to discover they suddenly have more power than suddenly having less.

So, please, look these over, be as severe and harsh as you can in your critiques, and thank you for doing so.

The first class is The Akashic, from Monte Cook’s Arcana Unearthed.

Image Image Image Image

AKASHIC

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills: The akashic has all skills in-class.
Skill Points: (8 + Int modifier)

BAB: Middle

Saves: Will high

Class Features by Level:

Code: Select all

[br] 1 Skill memory, battle trance[br] 2 Perfect recall[br] 3 Delve into collective memory[br] 4 Lesser akashic ability[br] 5 Lesser akashic ability[br] 6 Lesser akashic ability[br] 7 Lesser akashic ability[br] 8 Lesser spell memory[br] 9 Feat memory[br]10 Akashic ability[br]11 Akashic ability[br]12 Akashic ability[br]13 Akashic ability[br]14 Spell memory[br]15 Instinctive skill memory +2[br]16 Greater akashic ability[br]17 Greater akashic ability[br]18 Greater akashic ability[br]19 Greater akashic ability[br]20 Greater spell memory; instinctive skill memory +4[br]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the akashic:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An akashic is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and light shields (but heavy shields).
Skill Memory (Su): Akashics can reach into the collective memory and gain insight into a needed skill – even one in which the character has no ranks and cannot use untrained (but not a language). After a full round’s concentration, the akashic gains a bonus to a single skill check made in the next round. The akashic can use skill memory once per day plus an additional time per day per two class levels, and the skill bonus is equal to the akashic’s class level.
Battle Trance (Su): Once per day, an akashic may enter a battle trance wherein the echoes of ancient warriors guide his steps and strikes. The akashic gains a +1 insight bonus to attack and damage rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC for three rounds or for one round per class level, whichever is greater. Entering this trance is a free action that can only be taken on the akashic's turn.
Perfect Recall (Ex): By 2nd level, akashics have honed their own memory. When making any Knowledge skill check that they make without using skill memory, they double their Int bonus to the skill. Akashics without an Int bonus gain a +1 bonus to Knowledge skills from using this ability. Akashics with this ability also double their Int bonus to Intelligence checks made to remember something.
Delve into Collective Memory (Su): An akashic of 3rd level may make a special check with a bonus equal to his level plus his Int modifier to attempt to gather some information relevant to a question from the collective unconscious of the world’s sentient creatures. He can harvest information about notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. This process takes 10 minutes and can be attempted once per day per class level. This check will not reveal the functions of a magic item but may give hints as to its origin or legends about it. The akashic may not take 10 or 20 on this check; the information gathered is essentially random. The DCs of this check is equivalent to that of a Bardic Knowledge check.
Lesser Akashic Ability (varies): At 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th levels, an akashic learns one of the following abilities. No ability can be selected more than once.
Bonus Feat (Ex): The akashic gains a feat for which he meets the prerequisites.
Creature Loresight (Sp): The akashic gains the spell-like ability to cast Creature Loresight a number of times per day equal to his Int modifier, or once per week, whichever is greater.
Kinesthetic Memory (Su): The akashic’s sensory memory is so great that he can use it to navigate one environment (his house, a particular building, a given path through a forest, etc) without sight, using only his memory of how he has previously moved through the familiar environment as his navigatory tool.
Learn Secret (Sp): The akashic can cast Learn Secret once per day.
Lesser Battle Memory (Su): The akashic can call upon the memories of the collective unconscious to provide him with insight and inspiration in battle once per day, granting him a +3 insight bonus to attack and damage rolls and a +3 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round per class level. Activating this ability is a full-round action.
Object Loresight (Sp): The akashic gains the spell-like ability to cast Object Loresight a number of times per day equal to his Int modifier, or once per week, whichever is greater.
Skill Development (Ex): The akashic gains a permanent +4 inherent bonus on a skill of his choice.
Sneak Attack (Ex): The akashic gains +1d6 Sneak Attack dice, exactly like a Rogue’s.
Tongues (Sp): The akashic can cast Tongues once per day as a spell-like ability.
Lesser Spell Memory (Sp): Starting at 8th level, an akashic can delve into the collective memory once per day to learn how to cast one simple spell of 3rd level or lower. He must have an Intelligence score at least 10+spell level in order to cast it. The akashic uses his class level as his caster level and his Intelligence as his key ability score. Delving, learning the spell, and casting it consume one full-round action.
Feat Memory (Su): Starting at 9th level, an akashic can reach into the collective memory and produce an ability normally gained as a general feat. The akashic must meet the prerequisites of the feat. After a full round of concentration, the akashic gains the feat for 1 round per class level. This ability can be used once per day.
Akashic Ability (varies): At 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th levels the akashic gains one of the following abilities. No ability may be selected more than once.
Defensive Focus (Ex): The akashic trains, using the collective memory of many battles and the minds of great fighters, in the art of self-defense. He gains a permanent +1 dodge bonus to AC and a permanent +1 insight bonus to all saving throws.
Delve into Personal Memory (Su): The akashic can mentally probe the memory of one other person within 25 feet. The akashic mentally forms a question that the target can answer with a single word. No shared language is needed, nor does it matter whether the creature is conscious or aware. The creature makes a Will save (DC 10+ ½ the akashic’s class level + the akashic’s Charisma modifier), and if it fails the akashic gains the answer as if the creature mentally answered the question as truthfully as possible. If the creature makes its save, the akashic receives no information, but in no case is the creature aware of the akashic’s attempt. This ability is activated as a standard action and can be used once per day.
Impersonate (Su): The akashic can use his ability to delve into the memories of others or impersonate another creature’s mannerisms, speech patterns, knowledge, and overall demeanor, adding a +2 bonus to Disguise checks, and an additional +4 bonus to impersonate a specific individual that the akashic has examined the memories of using Lesser or normal Delve into Personal Memory. This ability is considered constantly active.
Battle Memory (Su): As Lesser Battle Memory, but +5 to attack and damage and +5 to AC. Having both this ability and Lesser Battle Memory allows an akashic to use Lesser Battle Memory as a partial action, and allows him to use Lesser Battle Memory a second time per day.
Location Loresight (Sp): The akashic can, as a spell-like ability, cast Location Loresight a number of times per day equal to his Intelligence modifier or once per week, whichever is greater.
Lesser Akashic Ability (varies): The akashic can select any Lesser Akashic Ability, including one he already has. If he selects one he already possesses, he doubles the number of times per day he can use the ability or simply gains a second feat, sneak attack die, skill, or familiar environment. This ability cannot be used to gain more than a second iteration of a Lesser Akashic Ability.
Modify Memory (Sp): The akashic can cast Modify Memory as a spell-like ability once per day.
Spell Memory (Sp): Starting at 14th level, an akashic can delve into the collective memory once per day to learn how to cast one normal spell of 5th level or lower. He must have an Intelligence score at least 10+spell level in order to cast it. The akashic uses his class level as his caster level and his Intelligence as his key ability score. Delving, learning the spell, and casting it consume one full-round action.
Instinctive Skill Memory (Su): At 15th level, the akashic is so accustomed to gathering information from the collective memory that he begins to access it as easily as he does his own mind. The akashic gains a +2 bonus to all skill checks. This bonus stacks with all bonuses except that gained by the Skill Memory ability. At 20th level, this bonus increases to +4.
Greater Akashic Ability (varies):
Akashic Ability (varies): The akashic can select any Akashic Ability, including one he already has. If he selects one he already possesses, he doubles the number of times per day he can use the ability or simply doubles the bonuses from Defensive Focus or Location Loresight. This ability cannot be used to gain more than a second iteration of any given Akashic Ability.
Greater Battle Memory (Su): As Lesser Battle Memory, but +8 to attack and damage and +8 to AC. Having this ability and Lesser Battle Memory allows an akashic to use Battle Memory as a partial action, and allows him to use Battle Memory a second per day. Having this ability and Lesser Battle Memory allows an akashic to use Lesser Battle Memory as a partial action, and allows him to use Lesser Battle Memory a second per day. Having this ability and both Battle Memory and Lesser Battle Memory allows an akashic to use Lesser Battle Memory as a free action, and use Lesser Battle Memory a third per day.
Greater Delve into Personal Memory (Su): As Delve into Personal Memory, but the answer sought can be up to one word per class level in length. Having this ability and Delve into Personal Memory allows an akashic to use Delve into Personal Memory a second time per day.
Memory Possession (Su): The akashic can absorb the memories of any intelligent creature who is alive or has ever lived for 1 round per level. During this time, the creature’s personality takes control of the akashic’s body. Akashics use this ability to allow their allies to speak with and ask questions of the possessing memory (often that of an ancestor, friend, or other well-known figure.) If the possessing memory seeks to say or do something against the akashic’s will, the akashic may make a Will save (DC 20) to prevent it, but can do nothing to shorten the duration of the ability. This ability can be used once per day.
Lesser Akashic Ability (varies): The akashic can select any Lesser Akashic Ability, including one he already has. If he selects one he already possesses, he doubles the number of times per day he can use the ability or simply gains a second feat, sneak attack die, skill, or familiar environment. This ability cannot be used to gain more than a third iteration of any given Lesser Akashic Ability.
Steal Identity (Su): The akashic can impersonate any intelligent creature who is alive or has ever lived, even without having ever been near that creature. Steal identity functions like the Impersonate ability except it grants a +9 bonus to impersonate a particular person, and the akashic need not have used Lesser or Greater Delve Into Personal Memory to use this ability. This ability stacks with the bonus granted by the Impersonate ability.
Greater Spell Memory (Sp): Starting at 20th level, an akashic can delve into the collective memory once per day to learn how to cast one complex spell of 7th level or lower. He must have an Intelligence score at least 10+spell level in order to cast it. The akashic uses his class level as his caster level and his Intelligence as his key ability score. Delving, learning the spell, and casting it consume one full-round action.

Username17
Serious Badass

Re: My Project and 1st class: the Akashic

Post by Username17 »

Most specifically, a skill check is going to have to be much more firmly defined if you go this route. The most obvious use of this ability - gaining insight into the workings of Diplomacy, Profession, or Craft - are unclear. After all, the bonus is for the check made next round - but the skills are made nebulously at some point within a large time frame.

Similarly, does Feat Memory serve for Item Creation Feats? What about limited use/day feats?

-Username17
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Frank wrote:After all, the bonus is for the check made next round - but the skills are made nebulously at some point within a large time frame.

Hmm...true. I generally have characters make any skill checks on the first round that they begin using the skill, but obviously that's just my personal MO. Is there any balance issue behind me removing the full-round action from this ability and just making it a non-action taken as part of making the relevant skill check?

Frank wrote:Similarly, does Feat Memory serve for Item Creation Feats? What about limited use/day feats?

I suppose since a character only possesses the feat for level rounds, it would be OK to use an item creation feat provided the akashic could mimic the spell with Spell Memory and could complete the item creation within his level in rounds (not terribly likely, but hey.)

As to 1/day feats, I see no problem with the interaction between this ability and their mechanics. You gain the feat, you use it up, and then it's over.

Essence
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

It was pointed out to me that until 4th level, the Akashic fights like a bard with no music...and that sucks. So I added Battle Trance at 1st level to give Akashics a fighting chance (pun intended).

Essence