Required Reading (silva keep out)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

TheFlatline wrote: There's also a handful of den-isms like MC instead of DM that could stand to be described. So yeah, slang, topics that have been beaten like a dead horse, and topics that summon Cthulhu might not be a bad idea.
I started that a year or two ago, out my own frustrations.

http://dndwiki.com/wiki/Canon:RPG_Terminology

wtf... I thought I had already added MC. ./facepalm

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
silva wrote:I have bad news for you: the Den dominant party has a very specific definition of what constitutes good rules based on a strong taste for D&D3e-like gamism, which is used as parameters for measuring up everything.
Apparently you haven't read the good things that get said about Munchhausen. How does your theory alter to accommodate that?
With head asplodies. O_O
Or denial.

...probably denial.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Apparently you haven't read the good things that get said about Munchhausen. How does your theory alter to accommodate that?
It's AW, so he rolls 2d6 then rewrites reality and does whatever the fuck he wants.
Last edited by Zaranthan on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

That list is missing several important acronyms. SGT and MTP immediately leap to mind.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

silva wrote: The only reasonable person here is shadzar.
He cant write, you cant read? So he is agreeing with you in your mind?
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Schleiermacher wrote:I don't think that would have any particularly beneficial effect. It seems very likely to create an echo chamber.
This. Den feels a bit too much like an echo chamber anyway, most days. (With a few bat-shit crazy, distorted, brown noise echoes like Shadzar thrown in.)
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

silva wrote:I have bad news for you: the Den dominant party has a very specific definition of what constitutes good rules based on a strong taste for D&D3e-like gamism, which is used as parameters for measuring up everything. In other words, its like Action-flick fanatics who find Citizen Kane crap cause there isnt enough car chases and boss fights. What this means is that any FAQ or article will tend to fall on the camp of "YOURE PLAYING WRONG AND ARE A STUPID HUMAN BEING !!! TONS OF GRATUITOUS SWEARING !!111!!!!.

The only reasonable person here is shadzar.
Actually, the feeling I got was that 3.x had the most wrong with it and was the most crunchy and was TEH BIGGEST for a long while and is still pretty popular so it gets the most attention.

There's only a few people who argue that SR4 style dice pools is a shitty RNG system for basing a rule set off of. Yeah, it breaks down with giant dice pools and you can still write *bad* rule sets (see the Matrix rules), but the underlying system is pretty straightforward.

Winds of Fate is also enjoyed as a good concept, but there hasn't been a consensus as to a good implementation. Yet.

Oh wait, you're saying shadzar is the only person who is reasonable? The guy who froths at the mouth at the mere mention of D&D3.x and believes that old school AD&D is the end-all be-all best game evah?

Shit I just responded to a troll.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

I have bad news for you: the Den dominant party has a very specific definition of what constitutes good rules based on a strong taste for D&D3e-like gamism, which is used as parameters for measuring up everything. In other words, its like Action-flick fanatics who find Citizen Kane crap cause there isnt enough car chases and boss fights. What this means is that any FAQ or article will tend to fall on the camp of "YOURE PLAYING WRONG AND ARE A STUPID HUMAN BEING !!! TONS OF GRATUITOUS SWEARING !!111!!!!.
Silva: In Forge speak, I would say the following.

I do not believe that rules-heavy systems are inherently gamist or simulationist. Rules-lite games may or may not be inherently narrativist, I don't know, what I do know is that they don't feel like "real RPGs" to me personally, and I'm not interested in them. They're not my cup of tea, as it were. That said, I primarily GM Hero System (5E), D&D (3.5E), and Shadowrun. Much of my audience, and a good portion of myself, are primarily interested in telling and experiencing shared interactive stories (i.e. narrativism). I would describe myself, personally, as 30% Gamist, 50% Simulationist, and 20% Narrativist. Collectively, I'd describe the players I GM for as 80% Narrativist (with one individual exception who also has a strong gamist streak).

For these people that I play with, these "rules-heavy" systems scratch the "narrativist" itch in a very satisfying way. No one is trying to "win", we are playing at telling stories, and we personally find the rules and their application actually helps us to do so.

Keep in mind that what you have pejoratively labeled "action movies" can still have incredibly engaging and emotionally and thematically deep stories. Ask, and I will happily list several cinematic examples, as I am also something of a film buff.

That said, my ability to analyze rules is not limited to rules-heavy systems. I do not at all think all rules-heavy or (and I hate the pejorative connotation of this term) "trad" games have good rules. I do not think that all rules-lite games have bad rules. I think that inelegant and elegant rules and systems can exist regardless of rules weight, and I pride myself on my ability to identify and critique elegant and inelegant rules systems in any milieu, along with many others here on the den.

So in the past, if I have spoken ill of AW, I was simply expressing a personal preference. Not trying to suggest you were having wrongbadfun.

Also, um...tons of gratuitous swearing. One.
Last edited by Neurosis on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

>>2014
>>responding seriously to someone useing GNS
>>ISHYGDDT
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Chamomile wrote:That list is missing several important acronyms. SGT and MTP immediately leap to mind.
MTP is on there.

I'm surprised I forgot SGT, though. I'll fix that tonight. :P
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Lord Mistborn wrote:>>2014
>>responding seriously to someone useing GNS
>>ISHYGDDT
It's like talking to a child, you have to put it in terms that they understand.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

The annoying thing is that full-blown GNS theory is demented, but the terms are attractive to use because it's useful to have vocabulary that describes what your primary priority is when evaluating a game system, viz:

- competitive balance and tactical depth
- facilitation of entertaining narratives
- consistent, verisimilar modeling of action resolution

although I suppose you could argue that this is a false trilemma.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Frank wrote a really good thing about MTP and what it's good for (The answer to which is actually not "Absolutely nothing, goodgodyall") and the reason why the prevailing wisdom around here is that MTP solutions are inferior. I don't have time to find it right now, though. I will see if I can find it when I get home from work.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

It is possible that Mistborn already linked it. Look earlier in the thread.

Also I agree that a slang dictionary belongs in the project. I will start working on an example post. I think it will look something like

What is the Gaming Den roughly
Slang terms/Dictionary
A brief FAQ including "Why are you so mean?"
A collection of important points and statements comprising our roughly shared general beliefs about design
Then links to important and well regarded works
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

deanruel87 wrote:Also I agree that a slang dictionary belongs in the project
Didn't we already do one of those?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Schleiermacher wrote:The annoying thing is that full-blown GNS theory is demented, but the terms are attractive to use because it's useful to have vocabulary that describes what your primary priority is when evaluating a game system.
Well it would be if GNS theory provided useful definitions of each of the three key terms. But it doesn't actually provide any differentiation and instead relies on false initial impressions to get buy-in.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:Frank wrote a really good thing about MTP and what it's good for (The answer to which is actually not "Absolutely nothing, goodgodyall") and the reason why the prevailing wisdom around here is that MTP solutions are inferior. I don't have time to find it right now, though. I will see if I can find it when I get home from work.
The upshot is that MTP is inferior by nature because you're asking for people to pay you real money for your game so it had better fucking be better than sitting around closing your eyes and playing pretend because you can get that for free.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:Frank wrote a really good thing about MTP and what it's good for
The gist is that MTP requires no effort to learn and costs no money to buy. Everyone is already familiar with it. So anyone who's trying to claim they are enhancing your gaming experience by giving you MTP is basically selling ice to a polar bear.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Chamomile wrote:selling ice to a polar bear.
Well, with global warming...
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Hm. It had not occurred to me that the phrase is going a bit out of date.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Chamomile wrote:Hm. It had not occurred to me that the phrase is going a bit out of date.
Selling water to whales?
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Radiant get back to posting hentai

Alright so the list I have right now for just the terms section is as follows, presented in roughly the order I expect new people to see them.

Suck a barrel of cocks: A generic insult employed on the Gaming Den when a generic denigration of problems in behaviour, assumptions or design is required, and the specifics should be obvious.
Example 1: The PF fighter sucks a barrel of cocks.
Example 2: Your writing sucks a barrel of cocks. Try using actual grammar, punctuation and spelling next time.
Example 3: Bruce Cordell's takes on psionics suck a barrel of cocks no matter what edition they're from.
Magical Tea Party: MTP for short. A term for describing the "make it up" advice in RPG texts when some event or action is not covered by the rules.
Mister Cavern: MC for short, Mister Cavern's a term for the gamemaster in the RPG Draci Doupe Plus. DD+ was first published in the Czech Republic during the days of the old Soviet Union. Adopted by the Gaming Den as an alternative to the Dungeon Master label.
Wish Economy: Referring to characters in Dungeons and Dragons who can have unlimited wishes and therefore only value things wishes cannot grant.
Rocket Launcher Tag: Refers to combat that is so offense heavy that the first person to attack will likely immediately win.
Padded Sumo: The opposite of Rocket Launcher Tag. Where combat is grindingly slow and each attack is a tiny drop in a massive bucket.
Paizil: A portmanteu of "Paizo" and "Fail". It is a mildly derogatory name for die hard Pathfinder fans.
Vanilla Action Hero: A character common to action movies who has no reliable access to or unilateral control of phlebtonium and has to rely on plot armor and mundane if preternatural human abilities to accomplish things. VAHs are allowed to use their plot armor to bend probability--such as being shot at by twenty bad guys and having them all miss--but can't use it to do something that's impossible to a layman's WSoD--such as surviving a harpoon to the heart. Has a lot of overlap with Dumbass Melee Fighter,
Dumb-ass melee fighter: DMF for short, refers to a character who exclusively depends on melee weaponry and lacks the capacity to handle threats that are airborne, highly mobile, or otherwise difficult/impossible to reach in hand-to-hand.
Fighters can't have nice things: Refers to the philosophy that fighters have no abilities beyond hitting people with swords, and thus cannot fly, mind-control people, leap tall buildings in a single bound
WoF/Winds of Fate: Describes a system where a player chooses their attack from a small list every round, the small list is generated randomly from a larger list.
RNG: Random number generator, like a d20 for D&D
Off the RNG: When bonuses or negatives accrue to make it so that no number a character can roll will impact their success or failure.
Tekken Juggling/Stunlocking: These are the terms used to describe when a character can attack in such a way as to prevent his opponent from ever being able to take an action.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

deanruel87 wrote:Radiant get back to posting hentai
Here's part of "Frozen Fast": (basically SFW, but huge)
(The tavern scene is from a different chapter from the fight, but that one doesn't have a flying dragon)

EDIT: added context.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Re: Required Reading

Post by PhoneLobster »

deanruel87 wrote:Phonelobsters "The DM is Not God"
I'm assuming you mean my Being A Good GM the FAQ. One of the main things it was for was to provide some simple practical "you aren't god, you don't have god like powers, so don't act like it" advice for new GMs.

I'm not going to wikki that. But if you want to do that or link to it anywhere go mad, it needs more exposure, we get all too many chumps who after losing every other argument under the sun resort to wierd combination motherhood statements/ad hominem attacks like "well clearly you don't ever change bad rules!" and so on basically directly covered in that advice among other things.

Still I don't think you'll get the agreement you think.

Hillariously we are still waiting, four years later, for FatR to man up and tell us precisely which pieces of simple "don't be a total dick" advice he vehemently hated for being "player entitlement" that was "taking away the GM's rights/fun".

In a mostly unrelated side note, I find the MC term to be wanky, parochial and just plain cliquish and think the Den should stop using it as it's pretty much pure exclusionary bullshit jargon that helps no one and nothing. GM is a simple generic term people already recognize and isn't tied specifically to D&D, and when it comes to titles within gaming groups it really shouldn't be encouraged to actively refer to ANY player by any special title outside of gimmicky board games and you should just damn well call your GM by their actual personal name.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

'DM Fellatio'

'apple stacking'

'Gygaxian fuckery'

mister cavern sounds funny and I smile whenever I read/say it. It should spread as a term for the game master.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

DM Fellatio: Mister Cavern favors you personally (supposedly because you give him fellatio). Generally used in the context of things whose availability and/or power level varies tremendously depending on how much Mister Cavern is willing to go along with your shenanigans or not.

Apple Stacking: This is sort of the social currency equivalent of greyhawking. Basically, it's a common phenomenon in social currency systems where you can perform small favors that add up to very, very big favors in return, e.g.: "I give the king an apple a day for a year, then I ask for the kingdom."